going from 10psi to 1 bar and tune...

Tech mumbo-jumbo... not Gizmodo.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati

struka
Slippery When Westicles

going from 10psi to 1 bar and tune...

Post by struka »

Ok, so here is the deal. My car currently has a 10 psi spring in the wastegate with Enthlapy ECU. When Dennis had it, he had this setup with a small tune on the SAFC and had a boost controller so he was running 15 psi. The ECU is tuned for 15psi so I am running rich.
What I need to do is get a 1 bar spring to replace the 10psi one but people have told me I will need to get a boost controller, a manual one so I can have a quicker response. Is this true?

Matt?? :)

I would like to install the spring and then take it to TopSpeed to do the tune for me with the SAFC. How much do you think that will cost?
matts13
OK Finally Past the Hazing

Re: going from 10psi to 1 bar and tune...

Post by matts13 »

yes mine has a lot better responce with my mbc on it.. i have a 18 psi spring in mine, it is a 2 spring set up. i think you should just keep your spring and get a good mbc, not some cheap one. toopspeed is about 150ish and hour for safc. takes an hour or two if you have not issues. might want to drop the gap on your plugs a bit before the dyno too. call me if you gotts any questions
foilman
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by foilman »

A good boost controller will certainly help response, especially a good electronic one that is setup well. I know Matt likes manual but I think it's tough to beat the setting on mine which forces the gate to stay closed until boost X regardless of what I set the peak boost to be.

How do you know you are running rich? I, mean really know? "Because my ECU is tuned for 15 psi" is not innately true. The MAF sensor is there to tell how much air is coming in and the ECU adjusts accordingly. Otherwise, how would the car even run when there is just 1Psi? Get your own wideband, they are very cheap now.
matts13

Post by matts13 »

the nice electronic ones are great too, when i got the spare cash might go to one. jsut stay away from anything cheap to control boost. real tial springs and good name brand boost controlers.
struka
Slippery When Westicles

Post by struka »

What wideband should I get? I will go ahead and get it.
It runs rich cause enthlapy already runs rich and I am running only 10psi and not the 15psi that I should.

I just can't overboost. Dennis said it will pop if it spikes to 18psi which is why I wanted to get a 1 bar spring so I won't. But I also don't know ish about this.
matts13

Post by matts13 »

struka wrote:What wideband should I get? I will go ahead and get it.
It runs rich cause enthlapy already runs rich and I am running only 10psi and not the 15psi that I should.

I just can't overboost. Dennis said it will pop if it spikes to 18psi which is why I wanted to get a 1 bar spring so I won't. But I also don't know ish about this.

if you are conern about a 3 psi spike a mbc is not a good choice.
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

http://www.world-motorsports.com/wmstor ... ducts_id=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you can buy it from MA-Motorsports. you can ask brian what kind of wide band he prefers as well.
please believe
struka
Slippery When Westicles

Post by struka »

I think I may get the aem uego wideband for now and leaveit the way it is. 10 psi spring with no boost controller but get topspeed to do an safc tune so isn't rich? Would that be a better approach?
charlie
Eet Bacon

Post by charlie »

[html]<object data="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" style="outline:none;" width="512" height="44" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param value="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" name="movie"/><param value="always" name="AllowScriptAccess"/><param value="opaque" name="wmode"/><param value="noscale" name="scale"/><param value="tl" name="salign"/></object><BR>
[/html]K-TO-THE-MOTHERFUCKIN-OI! OI! OI!
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

I've had a MBC on the wrx for 5 years now, no problems, they are cheap insurance.
Bikes, Meat, Drama, Meat, Gossip, Meat, Metal, Meat, Buttsex, Meat, Family and some Drifting.
ChadMK4
Purple Drank

Post by ChadMK4 »

struka wrote:I think I may get the aem uego wideband for now and leaveit the way it is. 10 psi spring with no boost controller but get topspeed to do an safc tune so isn't rich? Would that be a better approach?

I got the AEM on the Datsun. No complaints here.
struka
Slippery When Westicles

Post by struka »

yeah, i am gonna go with the AEM wideband.

Tony, what boost controller do you have?
foilman
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by foilman »

struka wrote:yeah, i am gonna go with the AEM wideband.

Tony, what boost controller do you have?
Greddy Profec-B spec II, it's great.
I tried a Blitz too but it wasn't as flexible (I think it was a SBC iD).
struka
Slippery When Westicles

Post by struka »

any particular sites I should look into where I can buy the boost controllers?