New AWDrift Technique I learned

Tech mumbo-jumbo... not Gizmodo.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati

jo
Not Really Past the Hazing

New AWDrift Technique I learned

Post by jo »

Rob served as my drift instructor last night, and while I wasn't almost hitting a crackhead on a bike that was chasing my car around the dog track parking lot [he was drunk and screaming LITE 'EM UP!!!!], I was learning a new technique that is totally opposite of what I've been using, and it works quite well. Instead of concentrating on the steering so much, the technique hardly involves any steering at all. It relies on clutch kicking and using the rear to steer. It's sort of hard for me to explain here with words I guess, but it really works great and helps keep the slide going longer. My car definitely reacts to it nicely, and the slip-grip physics involved were definitely laid out in a way that I could really get my head around [which isn't always the case].

It really helped me to have someone coaching me in the passenger seat -- especially someone with so much technique and experience [and the fact that he's drifted a GTR before definitely helped with knowing the AWD technique]. I wish I had more access to instruction! I totally know how Andy felt know when he learned to do the breaking drift from the instructor in MIA. A lot more things about my car and how it moves and slides clicked into place last night, so I'm going to bring that knowledge back with me and put it to good use in practice this week:D
mattology
Fresh Meat

Post by mattology »

hehe, clutch kick is one of the FOERST techniques i teach somebody when it comes down to teaching slide. it's one of the easiest ways to upset the balance of the car and have the rear tires lose grip.

i'm glad you were able to figure it out!
matt. just plain old matt these days.
727-278-6357 -- Leave a Voicemail
300SX !!!
I may not have good drifts, but I hit shit witht he best of them.
jo

Post by jo »

Me too! I had been mostly concentrating on throttle and steering techniques, which have worked out great, but this is definitely a good one to add to the line up. In my regular techniques I usually end up spinning out towards the end, and this definitely lets me keep it going until I can steer out of it with a bit of grace;) No one up here has drifted awd, so it's sort of me trying to figure things out on my own with a little bit of help from rwd people like andy. The fact that Rob had some experience with awd definitely helped because he could explain things a lot more specifically to my drivetrain.

I wish we would have gotten to go out without hassle on Saturday night...I would have loved to see regina in action! I'm jealous that you guys have a few females out there to rock it with the boys. Seems like I'm the solochic and that kind of sucks sometimes. The exhaust laws down there are ridiculous though....err and sorry for speeding on dale mabrey....i had no idea where i was going so i was just trying to keep up with bill. no harm done, hopefully;)
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

nobody wrote:No one up here has drifted awd, so it's sort of me trying to figure things out on my own with a little bit of help from rwd people like andy.
Yeah... my 1st AWDrift was in your car, so I'm still learning it myself. I'm still trying to comprehend what the car is doing... so trying to explain it is sometimes difficult. It's definitely a LOT different than FR drifting. The steering angle is nowhere near the same with AWD. The amount of throttle seems to be a lot less too.

I'd like to try it more, but at the same time, I'd rather you be in the driver seat gaining the experience with it. I feel like me learning to drift your car will only complicate the process of you learning how to drift your car. I'm not sure how much of my advice sinks in... so I'm glad someone else's tips made sense to you.

When I FOERST started, I was sliding sideways & holding it for a second, and then slide out 180 stylee. You shouldn't ever think of it as a bad drift... but more of a foundation for how your car reacts (and you react to your car) to build experience off of.
Things will come easier the more you practice... I promise.
:D
revel
Eet Bacon

Post by revel »

DCCD helps alot too. wish i had one
MADCAT
Fresh Meat

DRIFT EVO DRIFT!

Post by MADCAT »

my o3 evo8 drifts nice in a long sweeper if right befor apex steer away with a little brake off power and as you switch back let off brake hit the power and saw at the wheel ! e-brake if you cant keep her going its a rush every time. like snow in summer 8)
check out on google under vid search dave jun's drift evo its yellow you will be flabergasted!
darkducati
Purple Drank

Post by darkducati »

Holy back from the dead batman!
Beans and cornbread.
PmartyX
Purple Drank

Post by PmartyX »

Who is this nobody guy?
I am very safety driver!!!!!!!!!

"if you see team rowdy in anyone's sig, just don't even read the post. From my experience anything they've said to me was assholish and most of what i read is the same."
bighuyner
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by bighuyner »

nobody is that dude from Gimme a Break.
Rhoad Racing
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Rhoad Racing »

darkducati
Purple Drank

Post by darkducati »

Rhoad Racing wrote:Image
Nah, nose is to small.
Beans and cornbread.
slidewaysgolf

Post by slidewaysgolf »

BUHAHAHHAHAHA!
PmartyX
Purple Drank

Post by PmartyX »

bighuyner wrote:nobody is that dude from Gimme a Break.

The chick with the mustache?
I am very safety driver!!!!!!!!!

"if you see team rowdy in anyone's sig, just don't even read the post. From my experience anything they've said to me was assholish and most of what i read is the same."
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

nobody was the biker dude with tits on Facts of Life
Bikes, Meat, Drama, Meat, Gossip, Meat, Metal, Meat, Buttsex, Meat, Family and some Drifting.