Drifting beginner

Tech mumbo-jumbo... not Gizmodo.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati

Silonius

Drifting beginner

Post by Silonius »

Hells yeah I'm going to Road Atlanta. What is the best and safest way to practice drifting? And is it possible to drift with a FWD car? And on a personal note, is it possible in a FWD Saturn? Hmmmm, I think I'm gonna go find out. Kick ass forum!
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

I think the best way to start out is find large open areas to practice without worry of any obstacles. If you're thinking about that curb that's just out of eye-sight, you're not going to be able to fully concentrate on what the car is doing.

One of the most important things is to learn the boundaries and limits between you and your car. You can drift an FF car... usually inducing the drift with the e-brake. Since most of the weight is over the front axles... there's a lot of understeer to overcome. I think you could also pull it off using a dramatic weight shift... but pulling through the drift will be very different. (See the illustration below.)

ImageImageImage

(Images c/o www.tbspeeders.com/drift/Drift%20Diagram.htm )
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

jo
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by jo »

definitely go to a huge lot! Open space is the key when you are beggining! In addition to techniques you find online, I'd check out the Drift Bible. It seems excellent for getting basic techniques down. It's only 16 bucks on amazon, and the info is priceless!

Click below to see the
DriftBible @ Amazon.com

djdorifto
Clam Salesman

Post by djdorifto »

get the feel of your car by doing donuts, 8's, 180's, so on, That should be like a good few hours and after maybe a set of wheels. After that get ur arse to a drift event, you can read, watch videos, listin to tapes, but what u need is practice. Practice Practice. Lots of tires too! get ready to go through 500-1000 on a FOERST event with Helmet, Gas, Entry Fee, Tires, New Brakes, and small stuff aswell. Know what your getting your self into! its a addicating sport and will get expensive once you get more and more better. GoodLuck!
OutDriveU
Ripe Meat

Post by OutDriveU »

Drifting your Saturn will be very difficult at FOERST. But it can be done but you need some suspension mods FOERST to make it easier. The chaepest and best mod for a FWD car is a BIG rear sway bar. This will help ALLOT. But its all about how you feel the cars limits in cornering.

Shane
djdorifto
Clam Salesman

Post by djdorifto »

ohdang lol, i didn't see the FWD Saturn part, this changes everything really, cause you can't do true drifting in a sense. Ebrake is the only way to do it and its not even called drifting, its called ass draging lol or powerslides. You can say anything, but you can't do drifting in a FWD car. Sell it get ur self something RWD if you want to enjoy drifting. Goodluck!
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Have you all seen the BBC Top Gear - Car of the Year: Ford Puma clip?
Tiff Needell get's that Puma (FF) SIDE-WAYZ!
It's awesome!

I'll have to dig through the web and find it.
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

nobody wrote:In addition to techniques you find online, I'd check out the Drift Bible. It seems excellent for getting basic techniques down.
In addition to Tsuchiya's Drift Bible,
MISSIONdrifting looks pretty good too!
It's available @ www.drifting.com.

Click below to see
MISSIONdrifting @ Drifting.com
OutDriveU
Ripe Meat

Post by OutDriveU »

yo
jo
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by jo »

turkey inside?
OutDriveU
Ripe Meat

Post by OutDriveU »

the recirculating valve sounds like a turkey gobbling
marshun
Ripe Meat

Post by marshun »

man drifting an FF is really weird. but the trick to it is steering work. you wont really counter steer like how you would an FF. you'll just ALMOST counter steer and keep on the gas. think of how you'd steer for a rwd car (zero power to the front wheels) and turn slightly to the regular direction.

of course before this theres the pull of the ebrake. it can be done because i used to do it in my accord. i could only link two turns though :P.

there is this guy kyle arai here in hawaii and he can link a couple of turns and do choku dori's (swaying drifts down a straight). he drives an 89 civic.
RandomGuy
Fresh Meat

Post by RandomGuy »

OutDriveU wrote:the recirculating valve sounds like a turkey gobbling
lol