Tire pressure for sliding

Tech mumbo-jumbo... not Gizmodo.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati

JJ Alfano
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by JJ Alfano »

As a welded diff whore, I find myself lowering the rear tire pressure to gain a little bit more grip. If I'm doing high speed I lower it to about hi 20s, low 30s. Depending on how hot it is that day. If im feeling too grippy ill do a quick burnout before i go to see if that helps the initiation run a little smoother, if that works then i raise the tire pressure, if it makes it worse i use the fingernail and 5 mississippi trick to let some air out until i get something I like.

But more often then not, if you're not running tandems and are just going out to learn and have fun and work on your car control, just up your psi to low 40s cold, and if you are spinning out a lot, just lift more often, I'd rather it be too loose than too tight... on the track I mean.
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

wtf is running tandems?
also you haven't been driving long enough to give advice.
please believe
JJ Alfano
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by JJ Alfano »

P.Haire wrote:wtf is running tandems.
I am glad you seem so positive about my driving history, but on the contrary, I have had plenty of experience in the past 2 years to qualify myself to know my car, as well as common fixes to minor issues with understeer/oversteer. Learning to drift with a shitbox with the only "upgrades" being a half ass locking vlsd and cut springs, you learn a lot of tricks to make your $100 events worth the money. No one likes going home not feeling accomplished.

Now that I have quality coilovers, a good clutch, and a welded diff, I finally have a reliable car that acts primarily the same every run, with pretty much the only difference being the tire grip due to tire pressure or tread left on the tire.

So yes, I do know about tire pressure in regards to grip.
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

P.Haire wrote:wtf is running tandems?
doesn't street drifting count?
Bikes, Meat, Drama, Meat, Gossip, Meat, Metal, Meat, Buttsex, Meat, Family and some Drifting.
POOPscandal
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by POOPscandal »

P.Haire wrote:also you haven't been driving long enough to give advice.
Superb Tough Highest Performer Driven to Lifestyles Unimaginable
:domo: :domo: :domo:PHOTOBLARG! :domo: :domo: :domo:NEW EXCITING BLARG! :domo: :domo: :domo:
"thanks man, I didn't do it, but I'm a fan of apple penis" - <3 internet
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

25mph entries in the marta lot = massive XP points. gain more constitution points for 30mph, paint your car for extra charisma.
PmartyX
Purple Drank

Post by PmartyX »

JJ Alfano wrote: If im feeling too grippy ill do a quick burnout before i go to see if that helps the initiation run a little smoother

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am very safety driver!!!!!!!!!

"if you see team rowdy in anyone's sig, just don't even read the post. From my experience anything they've said to me was assholish and most of what i read is the same."
jvladamir
Fresh Meat

Post by jvladamir »

trust me, hammer is down on every run. i even began starting a lil back from the actual start line just to give me a few more feet of track to get more speed and taking a longer outside line to get as much speed as possible. going faster at this point i believe will require more power and a lighter flywheel is immenent with the afformentioned clutch kit - these should help some & clutch kicking will be a viable option then which will help alot. i am considering a pulley set and 1pc DS as well, but i'm running on limited funds, you all can understand that.

i would love, LOVE, to turbo the KA but it is NOT happening right now.

I am Value Drift i guess, but either way this is still the way to get the smiles from my car.
Cankles
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Cankles »

get coils FOERST. hammer down. you say you are hammering down but i have seen guys *cough* tony shorts*cough* that killt it in a ka. so maybe you need to put more of your foot into.
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

Shorts can kill it in any car, he was killing it in Tennessee last year in the 318ti Bimmer. bone stock with the AC on
Bikes, Meat, Drama, Meat, Gossip, Meat, Metal, Meat, Buttsex, Meat, Family and some Drifting.
Cankles
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Cankles »

Maudite wrote:Shorts can kill it in any car, he was killing it in Tennessee last year in the 318ti Bimmer. bone stock with the AC on
you mean at the seda event at nashville???
JJ Alfano
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by JJ Alfano »

If that s14 is the same s14 i drove, you need a new ka and a clutch, not only is the clutch soft, the ka feels tired as hell. but good luck man, i ran a ka with 200,000 miles and worn rings when i FOERST started, its good not to give a shit sometimes.

PS: learning on the street is the way to go, dont listen to these guys who claim "events only" i drift on the street everyday, and i just dont give a FUCK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B91wki_jQf0
Cankles
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Cankles »

JJ Alfano wrote:

PS: learning on the street is the way to go, dont listen to these guys who claim "events only" i drift on the street everyday, and i just dont give a FUCK.
you know jj, if you are full of so much info, insight, experience, and the such why not go start your own forum....... im just saying since you seem to disagree with everyone on here, and no one on 240atl can stand you.

[size=0]p.s. we cant stand you either[/size]
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

I love street drifting more than the next guy... but there is only so much you can learn street drifting. It is a glass ceiling.
PmartyX
Purple Drank

Post by PmartyX »

JJ Alfano wrote:If that s14 is the same s14 i drove, you need a new ka and a clutch, not only is the clutch soft, the ka feels tired as hell. but good luck man, i ran a ka with 200,000 miles and worn rings when i FOERST started, its good not to give a shit sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B91wki_jQf0

Nice edit.
I am very safety driver!!!!!!!!!

"if you see team rowdy in anyone's sig, just don't even read the post. From my experience anything they've said to me was assholish and most of what i read is the same."