N00b in need of some advice... yo.

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

BandyDesign
Ripe Meat

N00b in need of some advice... yo.

Post by BandyDesign »

I spied a little project waiting for my tender love and care.

<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>
I need opinions. By this summer I hope to have around 5 grand total and I have enough up front to buy this car.

Here is what I want: Reliable daily that I could have some fun with sliding a bit ;)

I know the rule:

-Cheap
-Reliable
-Fast
...pick 2.

BUT I WANT ALL 3!!!!

A) Is it possible *cringes*
B) Would this be a decent car for it?
C) Can i find parts?
D) Can I find a better one still under 1k?

**I'm not afraid to put my blood sweat and tears into it, I have some welding experience.

Thank you all! Your help is da bomb!

I know I'm never on here, but thats because w/o a car... im a poser :P
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

that is an sr5 and not worth the time. 5 grand could probably buy you a gts in good shape with the common upgrades.

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=43858

$4500 comes with kaaz and coilovers and decent wheels and battle version stuff.
please believe
BandyDesign
Ripe Meat

Post by BandyDesign »

What makes the SR5 less so? Just the engine? I was thinking about a motor swap off the bat. I'm less interested in buying a car that is already modded or completed...

Yeah, I know its a bit stubborn, but I also would like to upgrade the car a little at a time.
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

sr5s have a different motor, they have a different chassis harness, a different fuel tank, a different real end, different brakes.

if you're doing a motor swap what motor were you thinking? sr or 4agze or what?
please believe
bradt
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by bradt »

There is a great SR5 for sale up here less than $1000. No rust like the one on the pics.

Swapping the motor means changing out a lot of stuff in that car. Just do your research and make sure you get everything you need and you will be good.
Personae non Gratae.
BandyDesign
Ripe Meat

Post by BandyDesign »

P.Haire wrote:sr5s have a different motor, they have a different chassis harness, a different fuel tank, a different real end, different brakes.

if you're doing a motor swap what motor were you thinking? sr or 4agze or what?
I was recommended by a friend to step back (in years not power) to a 3tc motor.

I haven't decided. I also, didnt realize that there were so many differences, but I am expecting to swap the motor, trans, brakes, clutch etc and start from nothing on the wiring. If the rear-end is not up to par, maybe I need to add that to the list. Sounds like I might be a bit ahead of the game if I start with a GT-S. Thats assuming I can find one.

bradt wrote:There is a great SR5 for sale up here less than $1000. No rust like the one on the pics.

Swapping the motor means changing out a lot of stuff in that car. Just do your research and make sure you get everything you need and you will be good.
Yeah, I'm going to go look for that right now. This one is up here in Ohio, so I'm sure there is more rust than what can be seen on the pics.
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

corollas are cool but they are all old and need a lot of freshining up. parts are harder to come by and you have to update the suspension. Thats why I went with an s chassis. considering you want a reliable daily out of it I would go that route.
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae
BandyDesign
Ripe Meat

Post by BandyDesign »

down_shift wrote:corollas are cool but they are all old and need a lot of freshining up. parts are harder to come by and you have to update the suspension. Thats why I went with an s chassis. considering you want a reliable daily out of it I would go that route.
Nothin wrong with a 240. What about with my budget? 1-2k at the start and I will have around 5 when summer rolls around.

So I would have to purchase the vehicle and drive it for under 2k then I could dump 3-5k in it.

Where does my budget fit in?
Pittsy
Rock Smoke

Post by Pittsy »

down_shift wrote:corollas are cool but they are all old and need a lot of freshining up. parts are harder to come by and you have to update the suspension. Thats why I went with an s chassis. considering you want a reliable daily out of it I would go that route.
Quoted for truth.
"Too poor for the DM RBO Elite, but they let me tag along anyway."
John Lennon wrote:I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me.
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

actually if you're going 3tc then buying an sr5 is better. sr5 is carburated so the only thing you'll really have to change is the rear end. you can use an old supra one, they are much stronger.

i used and sr5 chassis when i built my ae86 because i was using carbs on a 4ag.

are you friends with harrison? he had a 3tc ae86.
please believe
BandyDesign
Ripe Meat

Post by BandyDesign »

P.Haire wrote:actually if you're going 3tc then buying an sr5 is better. sr5 is carburated so the only thing you'll really have to change is the rear end. you can use an old supra one, they are much stronger.

i used and sr5 chassis when i built my ae86 because i was using carbs on a 4ag.

are you friends with harrison? he had a 3tc ae86.
I don't know Harrison, my friend Eddie gave me the advise, he has a number of old corollas. I wanna go take a real close look at the car tomorrow after work and see how far the rust holes go XD
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

I would say if you have that much to spend, find a good GTS, and save yourself a world of hassle. I had big plans for my SR5... then I got into it, and wished I snagged a GTS instead.

I do miss the hell outta that car, though.
BandyDesign
Ripe Meat

Post by BandyDesign »

lol, so what if I said I would rather just go with a 240?

I need your advice friendly drifters, where do I look for my 5-7 budget?

I need reliable and driftable, reliable FOERST.

I know im like every other n00b on here asking how do I get started drifting, what kind of 240 mods should I do...

sorry. lol
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

Buy the cleanest 240 you can. real deal diff, coilovers, bucket...in that order.
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

coilovers, diff, motor and trans mounts, clutch, nicer seat.
$1200 $800 $230 $300 $700

$3220 in parts plus a couple hundred more for maintenance leaves you with like $1500-3500 to find a 240sx in good shape. i would do maintenance FOERST. i would do the seat last.

these prices are estimated based on a quick search of ebay.
please believe