Formula Drift 2005

What's not-so-new in the world of drifting. We don't pay attention to this section.

Moderators: charlie, andysapp

Fcman
Fresh Meat

Post by Fcman »

might as well get a 4car for next years, cause you know I'm down after this year :D
Ahhhh.... The power of rotary
Silonius
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by Silonius »

wicked awesome Andy :twisted:

That'll be some good exposure for you and great experience.

andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Hahaha... thanks man!
I can't wait to get out there!
:D
Tracy
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by Tracy »

Andy!!!! What are ya'll gonna do about the SCCA pro license rule!!! That sucks!!!! Dan and I were talking about it last night and I don't think we have the time right now or the money to accomplish that!!! :(
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

I'm stiiiiiilll waiting to hear back from Slipstream on this. Last year... from what I understood from Tiger Racing - you just had to have an SCCA license... not a pro license. The VP of SCCA told me via e-mail that the only change between last year & this year's rulebook was the 8-pt cage & the cage wall thickness... he said everything else remains the same.

Ryan Sage dropped me an e-mail two days ago & I hit him with a voicemail... but I haven't heard back yet. I'll be giving him another phone call today to try and sort it all out.

Like we were both thinking - it seems pretty unlikely that every Formula D driver has a "pro" license. Gushi just turned 18 in September... and doesn't have a regular driver's license from what I understand.

However... if it is the case - that you have to participate in 3 SCCA sanctioned road-racing events and drop the loot to get that petty license... then WDC it is.

I'll post more info as I hear it!
Tracy
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by Tracy »

Yea...Erik swears that he's been told that it's only a 6 point cage. It's bullcrap. I wish someone would figure it out. It's getting close.
Last edited by Tracy on Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

werd. i'm not even competing this year but i'd still like to know what all is gonna be required so i can sorta shoot for it in another year or so.

oh, and i don't want to be forced to buy an 8 point cage or take up road racing with this thing. perhaps i could enter the mx3, it would probably grip a little better :).
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Tracy wrote:Yea...Erik swears that he's been told that it's only a 6 point cage. It's bullcrap. I wish someone would figure it out. It's getting close.
I think that's why Fred told me not to jump the gun on building an 8-point cage. There seems to be some discrepency between SCCA & FD's take on the matter.

On a side note... I've been trying to get ahold of the people at WDC. They haven't hit me back via e-mail yet... and that's their only method of contact on the website (www.thewdc.net). It would be rad if they had a phone number on that piece - since that seems to get a faster response, lol.

Aww yeah - I got Ryan on the phone... give me a coupla minutes and I'll know for sure.
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Here is a clip out of the unapproved rulebook that I have a draft of.
Again... this is NOT finalized...
1. Full width roll cages are recommended in all Drifting automobiles. Roll cages installed in Drifting automobiles are for driver safety and shall be contained entirely within the driver/passenger compartment. The carpet/padding may be cut around the mounting base plates.

A. The cage need not be removable. It shall be bolted and/or welded to the car.

B. It shall attach to the car in at least than six (6) points, consisting of the basic cage with six (6) points and two optional braces.

C. The forward part of the cage shall be mounted to the floor of the vehicle. In addition, if the two optional braces referred to in 18.2.1.B are utilized they shall be mounted, one on either side, from the forward section of the cage to the firewall or front fender wells (see GCR Section 18.2., Figure 1). No braces shall pass through the front firewall.
This says a 6-point is fine - while an 8-point is recommended. In the email that Mitch from SCCA sent this to me in - he said 8-point is required. So who knows at this point.

This is a snippet about the license issue... again NOT finalized/approved by Formula D at this time:
All drivers and crewmembers, working in the pits, or other designated high-risk area, must be 18-years, or older, be a current SCCA and SCCA Pro member, and hold a current SCCA Pro Participant I.D. License. Participants 16-18 years old may be admitted upon issuance of a SCCA Pro Minor Participant I.D. License. Minor Participant I.D.’s must be issued from the SCCA Pro office, and will not be issued at event registration. The SCCA Pro Participant I. D. will remain the property of SCCA Pro. Privileges may be revoked at any time for non-compliance with this rule book.
There's no way they can expect your entire pit-crew to be a Pro member (if you have to participate in 3 sanctioned SCCA road races)... so there has to be a catch... or another way to get the license.

Ryan stepped to lunch... so I should know shortly what the deal is.
I will know by days end for sure.
andysapp
I need to go outside

The cage diagram.

Post by andysapp »

andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

OKAY!!!

I just got off the phone with Ryan. Here's the deal:

Rollcage: 6-point with door-bars (driver side required). Bolt-in is acceptable. If your doors have a built-in intrusion bar... that should be acceptable as the door bar.

License - You'll apply for an SCCA License through Formula D. They'll begin accepting registrations on the 1st of February. You basically fill out a form & fax it back to them. The registration will cost around $110... and a one-time fee of around $40 (may be less) for the hard card. The hard card eliminates your need for a wristband at the event. Just roll up with the card and you're ready to rock. Mitch Wright (SCCA VP) will be inspecting the cars on site.

So... 6-point bolt in cage w/ door bars... $150 SCCA/FD License + event fee (don't forget about the Nomex gear, 5/6-point harnesses, etc), and you're ready to slide. I guess I was expecting the worse - it doesn't sound so bad afterall.
:D
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Bwaaahahaha!

The roll cage order has been placed!
:twisted:
turbofb
Clam Salesman

Post by turbofb »

Well i expect alot more people from the area to be driving this year. NO EXCUSES, SHUT UP AN DRIVE!!!
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

andysapp wrote:Bwaaahahaha!

The roll cage order has been placed!
:twisted:
what brand/where did you get it?
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

I got an AutoPower 6-point bolt-in from www.livermoreperformance.com ... $649 for the cage... three weeks for fabrication... one week to ship. Shipping via freight approximately $100.

Livermore Performance had better deals than AutoPower themselves. I called them directly & they quoted me $750 + shipping.