06 wrx

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

There are a lot of different opinions on break-in process. Everything from flog it from the get go to seat the rings nice to babying it home and dump the factory oil FOERST thing. Just read up on it in NASIOC or whatever suby site you like.
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae
K-groove
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by K-groove »

I took my wrx on a mountain run with less than 100 miles on it. 39k miles later, no problems with oil consumption or leaks.
Guhgtard
Clam Salesman

Post by Guhgtard »

just drive it like you want. engines are prerun at the factory now. if you rebuild an engine, you should take break in a little more strict.

I've always been told and read that you should not apply too much load on the brand new, ie rebuild engine, for the FOERST 500 miles, then change the oil, then drive as usual then use the normal oil change intervals.
What I am, what I want, I'm only after death

Green filter, TXS unichip, V7 STi struts, Tein S Tech, Perrin Sways, Superleggeras with T1-Rs.
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

Guhgtard wrote:just drive it like you want. engines are prerun at the factory now. if you rebuild an engine, you should take break in a little more strict.

I've always been told and read that you should not apply too much load on the brand new, ie rebuild engine, for the FOERST 500 miles, then change the oil, then drive as usual then use the normal oil change intervals.

the other side of that is that it's recommended by many to run it hard in the FOERST few miles of the fresh engine's life. by loading the engine you are letting it put more outward pressure on the rings and they will seat better. that is the only thing in a new engine that's actually being broken in and if you baby it from the start then it'll kill the ring sealing.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Guhgtard
Clam Salesman

Post by Guhgtard »

icantdrift wrote:
Guhgtard wrote:just drive it like you want. engines are prerun at the factory now. if you rebuild an engine, you should take break in a little more strict.

the other side of that is that it's recommended by many to run it hard in the FOERST few miles of the fresh engine's life. by loading the engine you are letting it put more outward pressure on the rings and they will seat better. that is the only thing in a new engine that's actually being broken in and if you baby it from the start then it'll kill the ring sealing.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
rings and bearings. I've heard that side too, but I've always taken it easy on zero hour/mile engines for the FOERST 500 and never had a problem. to each his own in the realm of engine break in.

if manufacturers truley believe in engine breakin they would do what BMW does, for the FOERST 1500 miles, you can't go past 5500 rmps.

Green filter, TXS unichip, V7 STi struts, Tein S Tech, Perrin Sways, Superleggeras with T1-Rs.
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Guhgtard wrote:they would do what BMW does, for the FOERST 1500 miles, you can't go past 5500 rmps.
I obeyed that one 100%.
;)
Guhgtard
Clam Salesman

Post by Guhgtard »

andysapp wrote:
Guhgtard wrote:they would do what BMW does, for the FOERST 1500 miles, you can't go past 5500 rmps.
I obeyed that one 100%.
;)
on the new bimmers the ECU won't let you.

icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

Guhgtard wrote:
icantdrift wrote:rings and bearings. I've heard that side too, but I've always taken it easy on zero hour/mile engines for the FOERST 500 and never had a problem. to each his own in the realm of engine break in.

if manufacturers truley believe in engine breakin they would do what BMW does, for the FOERST 1500 miles, you can't go past 5500 rmps.
bearings have no actual "break in" to speak of. if they are making contact then you're fooked ;). bearings float on a film of oil, so as long as you make sure you've got good oil pressure before startup and warm the engine completely before driving hard then it's fine on the engine. they wear little by little over time from the heat/friction of the oil and very slight contact by the crank, but for the most part any contact from a metal surface to a bearing = spun.
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Guhgtard wrote:
andysapp wrote:
I obeyed that one 100%.
;)
Holy sheeot that's genious. I was out racing people the FOERST night I had the car.
[oops]
;)
POOPscandal
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by POOPscandal »

andysapp wrote:
Guhgtard wrote:
andysapp wrote:
I obeyed that one 100%.
;)
Holy sheeot that's genious. I was out racing people the FOERST night I had the car.
[oops]
;)

and lost to a prelude...... :lol:

a little birdy told me. :wink:
Superb Tough Highest Performer Driven to Lifestyles Unimaginable
:domo: :domo: :domo:PHOTOBLARG! :domo: :domo: :domo:NEW EXCITING BLARG! :domo: :domo: :domo:
"thanks man, I didn't do it, but I'm a fan of apple penis" - <3 internet
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

YEP! Hahahahaaaa. I didn't know how to drive a 5spd yet, lol.
That was a funny night.
:D
charlie
Eet Bacon

Post by charlie »

K-groove wrote:I took my wrx on a mountain run with less than 100 miles on it. 39k miles later, no problems with oil consumption or leaks.
Damn kid, you're almost caught up with me, and you bought your shit new! Take the bus once in a while! :D
[html]<object data="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" style="outline:none;" width="512" height="44" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param value="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" name="movie"/><param value="always" name="AllowScriptAccess"/><param value="opaque" name="wmode"/><param value="noscale" name="scale"/><param value="tl" name="salign"/></object><BR>
[/html]K-TO-THE-MOTHERFUCKIN-OI! OI! OI!
POOPscandal
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by POOPscandal »

K-groove wrote:I took my wrx on a mountain run with less than 100 miles on it. 39k miles later, no problems with oil consumption or leaks.
i did the same thing to my bike and its running like a champ. although my suzuki "we'll fix anything mechanical in the fisrt 3 years if it breaks" warranty made it easier on my conscienciossadlkaewrli(spl?)
Superb Tough Highest Performer Driven to Lifestyles Unimaginable
:domo: :domo: :domo:PHOTOBLARG! :domo: :domo: :domo:NEW EXCITING BLARG! :domo: :domo: :domo:
"thanks man, I didn't do it, but I'm a fan of apple penis" - <3 internet
nsanyatl
Fresh Meat

Post by nsanyatl »

down_shift wrote:whats the story on knowledge?
one of many stories
http://www.wrxatlanta.com/forums/showth ... erformance
uiyoungin
Fresh Meat

Post by uiyoungin »

nice! congrats on the pick up
Josh@teamui.com
U.I. 'til I die!