Upgrade!

Post any and all car-related pictures here.

Moderators: charlie, CodyW, Rhoad Racing

Zach
Salsa Rodeo

Re: Upgrade!

Post by Zach »

collink wrote:
ChadMK4 wrote:Collin, build your car the way you feel fit. But do all the research you can before doing permanent fitments on anything. And always give yourself an out. I did retarded amounts of research on the Datsun and S13 suspensions before even attempting to line it up on the frame and its still not perfect enough for me. I will be redoing the rear towers one day. But not anytime super soon. Maybe at the end of the season. I gave myself and out by setting everything up with S13 stuff so that if I just said fuck it and quit (which I deemed wasn't allowed) or either I put it in a wall one day I can just move everything over to a S13 chassis and be right back on the track.

But taking this to the BMW Forums would probably be your better choice.
I appreciate the advice. 318TI.org has been a great resource. A lot of S50 swapped TIs. They're saying that M42 (OBD-I) to S50 (OBD-I) is swap and go with a EWS (key fob security) delete chip from Turner or similar. I can even reuse my trans and everything behind it. I'll be replacing my subframe and diff with parts from a Z3 M probably, since those are built to take the added HP/TQ.

There's actually a guy who has a manual on how to do the swap that he's selling. I'm probably going to pick one of t hose up cause it comes with a certain number of hours of "tech support" in case I run into any problems.

Zach wrote:Yeah it's your car make it the way you want it, don't look for the approval in the process. What makes your car unique is doing what you want with it how you want it done. Do your research, put in the time, and make educated and thought out decisions with whatever you do and maybe, just maybe, respect will come. Acceptance of cool in cars is a strange phenomena, there is definitely a style, but if you can figure out (read: ON YOUR OWN) what you want your car to be people will respect it as yours much more. That being said do what you want with it and will make you content with the way it turns out. Acceptance is over-rated and happiness and pride in the end-result is really more important in the long run.
In all fairness, I never indended this thread to be a "hey, should I do an S50 swap or buy an M3" thread. I was only ever planning on documenting the swap in here. I've come to those conclusions in the last couple days myself. Thanks very much for the words of encouragement, Zach.

Yep, brought it up because it turned rather quickly from you documenting your rebuild to letting people tell you what you should do with your car (if they know more and it's sounds mechanical advice that's all gravy), but no problem.
Zigerus
Clam Salesman

Post by Zigerus »

Hey Collin, Fuck off. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Control Freaks!~ http://www.cfdrift.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Throttle fixes everything. Love is kissing your rear bumper into a snowbank at 40 mph and not leaving a scratch. If hookers carried active differentials in their purses and knew how to use 'em, I wouldn't be married. Left-foot braking fixes everything the throttle doesn't fix, including impotence and poor self-esteem. Banging off a rev limiter while looking out a car's side window and slamming into a steering stop will cure cancer. If the car isn't moving around under power, you are a small, testicle-free squirrel. The handbrake fixes everything left-foot braking doesn't fix, including philosophical issues with most major religions and the heartbreakingly impossible question of what you should have for dinner*.
Lightning
OK Finally Past the Hazing

Post by Lightning »

whilist in your research, make sure you plan out where you'll be sourcing that S[enterwhatevernumberhere] motor from, prices, everything to make sure that your budget won't set you back an indefinate amount of time as well. Also make sure that you really do have the time to invest in the swap, instead of doing the work every 2 weeks so you'll be out and on the start line by the end of summer. (I can speak from experience on this, going 2 months between working on mine is killing me.)

One of the good points for you at least is you're going from a car that's already pretty decently balanced from the factory to begin with, instead of an old people's car that's limper than an old man's noodle on his 90th birthday.
unhinged......no, not really.