my car is leaking gas...any suggestions?

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

my car is leaking gas...any suggestions?

Post by CodyW »

ok, so as of recently my car has started randomly leaking gas and i obviously need some kind of fix for this fairly soon. i haven't had much of a chance to check it out with the exception of quickly climbing under the car with a flashlight to try to locate the leak, but can't really see anything. i wiped the tank down and it would quickly start streaming back down, but even with the light i have absolutely no idea of where it's coming from. all i know is it makes the car smell quite foul, and it's leaving fairly sizable pudldles in not a lot of time.

now my questions are this...is fixing something like this typically fairly easy, or should i go super hardcore and try to get a fuel cell or something. the 2nd choice seems kinda fun, however i am fairly confused as to what all i would need if i decided to go that route. i browsed around summit's site and found some fairly affordabe 12-15 gallon steel/aluminum cells from their own brand or RCI for under $200, but then i'm not sure what else i'd need in the area of lines/fittings/connectors/new fuel pump/etc (and what all it would take to get it installed properly). i would imagine that choice could get pretty pricey, but just thought i'd sorta consider it as an option.

if anyone has any ideas, i'd greatly appreciate the help. thanks!
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

I have no idea but have you read the thread on this in the seda tech forum? Might help.
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

yea, i browsed through it but didn't get a ton of answers from there. sounds like a somewhat similiar problem though.

stupid 240's :evil:
slidewaysgolf
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by slidewaysgolf »

tanks are hard to repair becaus of the fuemes the have to be let to air out for like a week or more to weld on them and still its creepy becaus no one wants to blow up. But stock gass tanks can be had becaus when a junk yard wants to recycle the car they have to remove the tank so you may be able to find a good used one somewere. Also fuel cells are rad but when you order one you will need mounting strapes, foam for the cell if it does not come with some, also you will need to open to the earls fitting and line section of summet or jegs and get some some steel braded line "you can use plain rubber line but steel braded is so much cooler" about 4 90deg. elbows two for the tank the two for the moter should work, inline fuel filter, fitting to go into the filter, and if the pump is in the tank you will have to wire a new inline pump, so you will need the fittings for that. If you use rubber line, you can save money on fittings. I know i am leaving out something so make shure you can get fitting and parts localy in Atl. so you can go buy more lol i always have to go buy more.
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

check the fuel pump gasket and hoses to the pump
Bikes, Meat, Drama, Meat, Gossip, Meat, Metal, Meat, Buttsex, Meat, Family and some Drifting.
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

matts13
OK Finally Past the Hazing

Post by matts13 »

to do a fuel cell right you are looking at almost 1k. since you would really need to get a new pump hoses, and all the small things. i would say we fix it with battery cable.
darkducati
Purple Drank

Post by darkducati »

andysapp wrote:Image
Beans and cornbread.
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

darkducati wrote:
Bikes, Meat, Drama, Meat, Gossip, Meat, Metal, Meat, Buttsex, Meat, Family and some Drifting.
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

Eunos Roadster wrote:
darkducati wrote:
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae
struka
Slippery When Westicles

Post by struka »

down_shift wrote:
Eunos Roadster wrote:
darkducati wrote:
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

does it leak all the time or only when the pump is running? that narrows it to the tank or something after the pump. take the access cover in the trunk out and you'll be able to easily see the fittings coming out of the pump and check those for leaks.

if it just leaks all the time when there's gas in the tank then just replace the tank with a stocker, like matt said setting up a fuel cell isn't even close to cheap when you add up the new pump setup/fittings/lines/etc.
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

it seems to leak all the time (like when it's parked, i'll come out and find a large puddle of gas under the car).

i did take off the access door and didn't see anything wrong, so i'm guessing that cuts out that problem.
mikespeed95
Get Some

Post by mikespeed95 »

i spend 1k before i realized it giogn fuel cell.
just weld your tank.
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

CodyW wrote:it seems to leak all the time (like when it's parked, i'll come out and find a large puddle of gas under the car).

i did take off the access door and didn't see anything wrong, so i'm guessing that cuts out that problem.
then your tank is cracked... i believe Dan had the same issue with his not long ago.