V8 RX-7 stopping by....

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

DriverGT5
Fresh Meat

V8 RX-7 stopping by....

Post by DriverGT5 »

What's up guys. I met a few people at US Drift this weekend. I somehow always ended up in line with this really nice guy named Andy, go figure... 8)

Anyways, been lurking on the site for a few days now, figured I'd finally sign in and open my mouth a little bit.

Quick question, anyone know of any practice days other that DD3 before the Oct event at VIR? I want to test out some setups so I don't have the same problems I did at Lowes. Not to mention I'll be at Petit Le Mans now since DD got pushed back.
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

hey man, welcome!!!
i can't think of any other practice days off the top of my head but someone on here might know of something.
jo
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by jo »

welcome welcome:)
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Hey man!
Glad you made it this way!!! It was nice meeting you last weekend, and chatting it up in line. I still can't beleive you've got a 5.0 Ford motor under that hood. CRAZY!

I don't know of any other practice events off the top of my head... all the rest (besides Ocala) are competitions. There are some Drift Out Thursdays in Virginia I beleive... but that might be a haul.

I think that Lowe's track conditions were a rarity of sorts. I can drift all day long with my eyes shut (please, don't try that at home) on the street (err... other tracks). I really struggled this past weekend. Whatever SealCote they used was not very condusive to holding any angle. You might not have to do much else with your setup at another location.

Either way... I'm gonna try and get our pictures from the event up tonight.
Are you coming to Atlanta for Petit Le Mans, or going to Ocala?

Welcome again, and keep that five liter countersteered!
:D
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

that rex is one dick little car, very sleeperesque especially with the single exhaust and stock looks all around. and the thing sounds amazing, kudos to you on your ride. i can imagine that thing was a handfull out there with as greasy as the track surface was.
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

icantdrift wrote:i can imagine that thing was a handfull out there with as greasy as the track surface was.
Like fried eggs sliding around in bacon grease.
Good lord it was touch out there!
Kouki7
Clam Salesman

Post by Kouki7 »

Rob!!! whats up man! this is Derek.

glad to see you made it over to this site. i'll have my car running tomorrow (saturday) and will begin break-in that day. once i'm broke in we should get together for some mountain runs or something since we're local to each other.
1991 RX7 GTR - JDM Daily Driver

Microtech LT10S, 3" Turboback, 9psi.

225rwhp on 9psi
DriverGT5
Fresh Meat

Post by DriverGT5 »

What's up Derek. Glad to see the RX will be running again. I need to figure out a fix on this clutch, but a mountain run sounds like a great idea. The CSCC is blowing up this year. We've been sponsored by Fairway Subaru, Rogers Stereo, and we're about to be sponsored by PSI which owns RX7trix.com. I'm trying to get a CSCC drift practice schdual in place for next year as well. You need to come to some events, although I'll be missing most of them for NASA HPDE's and US Drift.

I'll be at Petit Andy. I'll be in my Explorer, probably under the huge canopy with "CLEMSON SPORTS CAR CLUB" haning from it, and 45 people underneath. Definatly stop by. I'll be flagging with the SCCA probably on turn 5, so if it's during the race, that's where I'll be more than likly. Do you guys camp out there, or make a day trip?

Yeah, i've never had much trouble in the 7 but then again, I've never run these tires before. I guess I'll just have to bring a few sets of tires and tweak the setup at VIR, and hope I find one that works. I'm thinking some Azenis on the front with the Zex's out back, but who knows.
Kouki7
Clam Salesman

Post by Kouki7 »

sounds good Rob. i got my car running today. still a couple bugs to work out but i think they're all minor.

biggest thing that i'm conserned with is that there's a grinding noise coming from the bell housing when the clutch is disengaged but if its in neutral and the clutch engaged the noise goes away. :? i'm clueless as to whats causing this.

also i have a underdrive alternator pulley (supposed to slow the alternator 20%) and the battery isn't being charged at 14v when its being driven around. when me and Reese had it idling it was fine at 14v. i'm thinking the alt belt just got stretched so i'll re-tighten it tomorrow and hope it solves the problem.

225rwhp on 9psi
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Congrats on getting your car running!!!
That's awesome!!!

I bet you're stoked as all hell!
:D
DriverGT5
Fresh Meat

Post by DriverGT5 »

Sounds to me like it could be the throwout bearing rattling around. It's so hard to diagnose sounds you can't hear...

Could also be a bad pilot bearing for the input shaft. Or maybe your flywheel is about to explode, sending shards of metal through the car...

Ok, j/k on the last one. 8)
Kouki7
Clam Salesman

Post by Kouki7 »

lol, well good news it that it isn't making the noise anymore so i'm happy with that.

Andy, yes i'm happy as hell that its running!

i took it out today and put 30miles on it. wanna know what its pulling for vacuum at idle? it was pulling 10in/hg last night when it FOERST started and now after only 30 miles it's pulling 20in/hg!! :!:

this is going to be a strong as hell motor, i can already tell. once its broke in i'm hitting a dyno to tune it and then its on!

225rwhp on 9psi
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

glad to hear yours is up and running again, now you gotta bring it back down for another trip to 507! :)
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Sweet, yo... I'm hella glad she's up and running well!
Pics... pics... PICS!!!

Hahaha... congrats!
Kouki7
Clam Salesman

Post by Kouki7 »

i'll get some pics sometime this week. once i have it broke in i'll bring it back to ATL for another get together.

225rwhp on 9psi