wtf, FLOORMATS?

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

charlie
Eet Bacon

wtf, FLOORMATS?

Post by charlie »

Story
Toyota Motor Corp. said Tuesday it will recall 3.8 million vehicles in the United States, the company's largest-ever U.S. recall, to address problems with a removable floor mat that could cause accelerators to get stuck and lead to a crash.

[html]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RuCBuYDew6g&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RuCBuYDew6g&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/html]

happened here.
[html]<object data="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" style="outline:none;" width="512" height="44" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param value="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" name="movie"/><param value="always" name="AllowScriptAccess"/><param value="opaque" name="wmode"/><param value="noscale" name="scale"/><param value="tl" name="salign"/></object><BR>
[/html]K-TO-THE-MOTHERFUCKIN-OI! OI! OI!
Generz
Eet Bacon

Re: wtf, FLOORMATS?

Post by Generz »

i read it was the thick all weather mats. man.. that's nuts.
foilman
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by foilman »

That's tragic, but how do you get up to 120+ before you just turn off the ignition!?! I'm not trying to be cold, I just find the psychology really amazing.

I can barely fathom how this situation makes people THAT brainless, and I've witnessed it FOERST hand. I rode shotgun with a friend on the FOERST drive of his FOERST SR swap and the car started running out of control, something like 45-65 mph and he sort of froze. I calmly reached over and turned off the ignition. There was the obvious relief and that sheepish "Oh... yeah, good idea". It took maybe 3-5 seconds. Who knows, maybe with another 2-3 seconds it would have dawned on him too; maybe not. Then we found a piece of welding slag about the size of a grain of salt that wedged the throttle plate open. Anyway...

These people had enough time and presence of mind to call for help... grab a phone and press the buttons 9-1-1-send. Here's an idea that is both horrible and great: Put a big red emergency stop button like an amusement park ride in the middle of the dash.

[edit]The word filter makes me look even more callous , so let me make a real joke...

Put a big red emergency stop button like an amusement park ride in the middle of the dash... and label it "911".
Please don't let the government know.. I don't want these buttons popping up on a future car of mine.
Last edited by foilman on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
struka
Slippery When Westicles

Post by struka »

the button is a smart idea ;)
LilAfrikan
Past the Hazing

Post by LilAfrikan »

That's so sad, but i'd have to agree. Turn the car off before you get to that speed. :( But who knows, maybe it all happened so fast they couldn't think. so sad :(
viperbite
Fresh Meat

Post by viperbite »

people are just dumb. we're all car people here so its easy to joke around about this kind of thing. but most people, when their throttle gets stuck they panic, and mash the brakes. when the engine is at wot the booster does absolutely nothing. its damn hard to slow a car down without a brake booster lol.
darkducati
Purple Drank

Post by darkducati »

Very sad but it all boils down to a complete lack of personal responsibility. It has vanished from our society.
Beans and cornbread.
revel
Eet Bacon

Post by revel »

darkducati wrote:Very sad but it all boils down to a complete lack of personal responsibility. It has vanished from our society.
so fucking true