The Pacific

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

ChadMK4
Purple Drank

The Pacific

Post by ChadMK4 »

One of the Best HBO Series I've ever seen.

I'm not scared to say that I cried a little. Kathy couldn't stop crying through the whole thing.
FooSchnickens
Rock Smoke

Re: The Pacific

Post by FooSchnickens »

Watch Band of Brothers, you'll quickly change your mind.
f00tography
In our minds. In our reality. In our world we are QUEEN DUCHESS TEAPOT HABERDASHERY!! RULER OF ALL!! PARTY OF ONE!!!
fooschnicks: totally oawesome
fooschnicks: whatever that means
gregthore: oaseome
gregthore: without me it's just oaweso
gregthore: Eugene has a meagan muff
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

we have a thread on this show somewhere. I'm a couple episodes behind but I'll agree so far Band of Brothers was better story wise. Still a series worth watching.
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae
FooSchnickens
Rock Smoke

Post by FooSchnickens »

I think Pacific's downfall was that it didn't center on one unit, it jumped around and skipped large spans of time at random.

I enjoyed it, but it could have been better.
f00tography
In our minds. In our reality. In our world we are QUEEN DUCHESS TEAPOT HABERDASHERY!! RULER OF ALL!! PARTY OF ONE!!!
charlie
Eet Bacon

Post by charlie »

wasn't really bad by any means but not as compelling as I'd hoped. i'll get around to finishing the last half someday.
[html]<object data="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" style="outline:none;" width="512" height="44" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param value="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" name="movie"/><param value="always" name="AllowScriptAccess"/><param value="opaque" name="wmode"/><param value="noscale" name="scale"/><param value="tl" name="salign"/></object><BR>
[/html]K-TO-THE-MOTHERFUCKIN-OI! OI! OI!
Nismo300zxt
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by Nismo300zxt »

FooSchnickens wrote:Watch Band of Brothers, you'll quickly change your mind.
I watched one episode of Pacific (like the 3rd one) and it was ok. Some episodes of Band of Brothers were kinda slow but overall one of my fav's. I am guessing Pacific doesn't stack up?
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

FooSchnickens wrote:I think Pacific's downfall was that it didn't center on one unit, it jumped around and skipped large spans of time at random.

I enjoyed it, but it could have been better.
x2. I liked Band of Brothers better and I thought the casting was done wayyyyyyyyyy better also. The Pacific is good though, just not great. I did catch a little bit of misty eye during last night's episode, it was the finale and was done really well I thought.
siccccckkkkkkkk
ChadMK4
Purple Drank

Post by ChadMK4 »

I wish they could've had a little more detail and storyline as to what happened to Sanfoo when he got back to New Orleans. I haven't seen any of the BOB's so I can't compare. That may be next on the watch list.

Was BOB based on the lives of some of the real soldiers?
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

Yeah real soldiers. It was a lot like The Pacific in that aspect, although they followed the same group throughout, from their training days all the way to the end of the war.
siccccckkkkkkkk
FooSchnickens
Rock Smoke

Post by FooSchnickens »

Yeah, lots more character development. I'm surprised they made Pacific only 10 episodes long since the Pacific theater was much longer than the European theater.
f00tography
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

ChadMK4 wrote:Was BOB based on the lives of some of the real soldiers?
This is the story of "E" Easy Company, 506th Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division from their initial training starting in 1942 to the end of World War II. They parachuted behind enemy lines in the early hours of D-Day in support of the landings at Utah beach, participated in the liberation of Carentan and again parachuted into action during Operation Market Garden. They also liberated a concentration camp and were the FOERST to enter Hitler's mountain retreat in Berchtesgarten. A fascinating tale of comradeship that is, in the end, a tale of ordinary men who did extraordinary things.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0185906/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

I haven't watched past EP05 of the Pacific because I've been hella busy. I like BoB a lot more because you feel more of a connection with the characters. I haven't got that so far with the Pacific. Each episode has been getting better.