let's talk about formula d

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

P.Haire
Trunk Junk

let's talk about formula d

Post by P.Haire »

So, i realized while looking at the points to see if vgj had it wrapped up that all but two(now one) of the cars in the top 11(tie) have at least 8 cyl.
1 25 Gittin 540 v8 asd
2 9 Yoshihara 482 v8 asd
3 34 Foust 464.50 v8 toyota
4 44 Tuerck 455 now a v8 gardella
5 8 McNamara 396.50 v8 asd
6 64 Forsberg 375 v8 now a more powerful v8 because they felt they were too slow cfr
7 6 Millen 353 v6tt rumored to be switching to v8 hyundai/rmr
8 17 McQuarrie 341.50 v8 asd
9 77 Hubinette 330 v10 dodge
11 5 Takatori 295.50 v8 supercharged lolz driftemporium
11 13 Pawlak 292.50 v8 asd

also,
falken, falken, hankook, maxxis, falken, maxxis, toyo, falken, bfg, bfg, falken

so, forsbergs has been driving like a mad man all year not any real bad luck or anything and he is now 6th. falken has a new tire for this year and they are now killing it. it's also pretty safe to say that falken has the largest budget, but money per driver is probably average. all the top teams except one has a real deal racing program.

SOOOOOO, should formula D start acting like a real deal racing series and start running restrictions and weight ballasts for winners and such like that. OR should they tell the drivers to drive better. yesterday was kinda boring because tandem starts with a big drag race. then the follower blows his line trying to catch up or there is contact because the follower overshoots the choke point of the track.
please believe
matts13
OK Finally Past the Hazing

Re: let's talk about formula d

Post by matts13 »

motor class son!!!!!! 4cly sounds so much better on the track!!!!
Dr. Marlow
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Dr. Marlow »

i like different classes based off engine size and junk, like GT1 and GT2 used to be in ALMS
You've got the wrong answer
Lightning
OK Finally Past the Hazing

Post by Lightning »

hey, Hubinette's running a v8 too. (410 sprint car motor)

so....all 11 of the top 11 run v8's.

weight ballast is a good idea. maybe 100lbs per win, 90lbs for second, and 80lbs for third?
unhinged......no, not really.
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

rhys has a v6.

i haven't decided yet what i want. all i know is that i want better tandem driving. i don't know how to get there.
please believe
boostbeef
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by boostbeef »

I think it's kinda odd, you'd think with the series becoming more spec that the drifting would be closer. I think they should put some kinda power to weight restriction on the cars. the hp wars are getting out of hand pretty quickly.
-Jonathan-
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

*devil's advocate* VGJ only claims his car has 650hp and that they run a 295 rear tire. Sam is claiming 865hp and a 335 rear tire. Chris Forsbags claims 385hp on his old motor and is probably running 275 rear(that's the widest maxxis makes). TMAC's car has more power and a bigger rear tire and probably weighs less than chris's and he is two spots behind him.

also the top 3 drivers are 29 30 and 35.**

i'm starting to think it's the drivers and not the really the cars but then again it might be the judging. ultimately the drivers try to please the judges. maybe they're focusing too much on speed.

** all information is from formulad.com so who knows how accurate it really is.
please believe
conrad_s13.5
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by conrad_s13.5 »

Dr. Marlow wrote:i like different classes based off engine size and junk, like GT1 and GT2 used to be in ALMS
i like diss idea
(OΞO/- -\OΞO)
cONtRol FReAkS <--- CLicK it!
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

but why? clearly who has the most power doesn't win every event. all of the top 10 teams seem to be big budget teams. they have plenty of opportunity to develope their cars. takatori only drives the s15 at formula d events(i think).

there are just as many drivers with big big power outside the top 11. mad mike is claiming 666hp and conrad gruennobodycares is claiming 700hp. mad mike is on falkens conrad is on hankook. both tires are competitive, both make big power, so why are they outside the top 10? kyle mohan would probably be in the top ten but he's on nexen tires.

there are like a dozen drivers that don't go to every event so they are out of the points chase. that leaves close to 32 drivers who commit to a full season. out of those 32 we have to assume that taka makes the least amount of power. eric osullivan's team is only claiming 345 but then again that team is less than stellar and his car only ran long enough to qualify at two events. taka has qualified for every event this year except jersey where he broke something on his FOERST qualifying run.

aasabo is in 16th place and he has only driven the west coast events. he also drives on falkens. he also drives like he doesn't care if he totals his car. i think it's had some kind of damage every event this year. people keep claiming he only has like 400hp too. i find that kinda hard to believe, i've heard he went big single after long beach and i'm no supra expert but big single usually means you're shooting for over 500 right?
please believe
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

no to different classes. bc no one cares about the lower classes anyways.. it's about the LMPs in ALMS.
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

quazar311 wrote:no to different classes. bc no one cares about the lower classes anyways.. it's about the LMPs in ALMS.
except i don't like prototype cars because they look stupid.

i wonder what really motivates the fans to come to formula d events. is it a chance to see a hometown hero take on the big dogs? do they come to see their heros from the magazines(does anybody read those anymore) and tv(does anybody have vs)?
please believe
HATERDAN
Purple Drank

Post by HATERDAN »

I'm sure you read the 10+ page thread that started on zilvia...I mean ziptied about this but I'll say it here too. all you nogs need to stop worrying about going pro until you have a real job and 100k in the bank that you are willing to waste
-dan
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

I liked FD more when the little guys with little motors still had a shot at winning. Whats a nog?
siccccckkkkkkkk
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

nig nog.
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

jsquared wrote:I liked FD more when the little guys with little motors still had a shot at winning. Whats a nog?
i'm not much a sports fan. i don't really watch racing. in the past i have enjoyed nascar and amatuer short track racing. i would not enjoy a race that included both types of cars. which is what i think the point of that other thread is.

the point of this thread is to just hear what people think about formula d right now. why we like it, why we don't. stuff like that.
please believe