Rust...

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

Pittsy
Rock Smoke

Rust...

Post by Pittsy »

Long story short: I've got a moped tank with a little bit of rust. I was going to go the "vinegar trick" route to remove it, but someone recommended Evaporust.

http://www.evaporust.com/evaporust.html

Has anyone ever used it? Any thoughts on it? Any other techniques/products you recomend?

Also, what can i do, besides filling the tank with gas as soon as possible, to prevent flash rust afterward? Not really liking the idea of dealing with using a sealer on the inside of the tank. Obviously will though, if I have to. Is it even something I should be worried about, or will filling the tank ASAP be good enough?
"Too poor for the DM RBO Elite, but they let me tag along anyway."
John Lennon wrote:I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me.
Greg
Muscle Milk

Re: Rust...

Post by Greg »

they used that stuff on Trucks! and the time lapse showed good results. I know it's a TV show and were getting paid to use it but it looked like it really worked.
Bikes, Meat, Drama, Meat, Gossip, Meat, Metal, Meat, Buttsex, Meat, Family and some Drifting.
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

Ive heard tons of good things about Por15. Supposedly stupid easy to use and works well, gives the tank a fresh liner to keep rust from coming back and is self leveling/etching.
siccccckkkkkkkk
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

use evaporust..

por15 can chip off and clog the petcock and stuff.
make sure you remove the petcock or it will get ruined.

here's my method of derusting a gas tank for a moped..

1. drop in 2 lbs of misc nuts and bolts into the tank
2. pour in 1/2 gallon of kerosene
3. shake the tank and flip the tank around for about 30-40 minutes.. (arms tired)

now that all the big rust is broken loose... you can flush out the tank and watch the pieces come out.
you'll want to rinse it about 3-4 times until you see nothing else come out..

pour in 2 gallons of evaporust and let it sit for about 3 days... and agitating it about every 12 hours.

pour out the evaporust.. and then liberallly spray WD-40 into the tank to prevent it from rusting without fuel in there.

it's a lot of work.. but the tank on rachel's moped went from being completely rusted and clogged to super clean.
Zach
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Zach »

If you've got access to a battery charger and a relatively large plastic tub you can do electrolysis. It's really simply, just attach battery charger to an electrode and a cathode (two pieces of non-rusted scrap metal) and mix washing soda (you can get it at your local grocery store for ~$2) into water and fill the tank with it. Clamp the ground to a bare metal spot on the outside of the tank. Hang the positive electrode in the tank making sure it doesn't touch the tank or it will cause a short. The electrode has to be changed as it gets rusty/dirty but you end up with a perfectly rust-free tank if you have the patience to do it for a couple of days. Do it in a well ventilated area though because the electrolysis creates hydrogen and oxygen gas and can cause problems if exposed to an open flame/spark. This was how I did my tank and my brother did his. If you've got a big enough tub you can just submerge the tank in water with both electrodes on opposite sides of the tub. I can post pictures if you want.
foilman
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by foilman »

SCIENCE!
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

i wanted to do electrolysis.. but i was worried about the electrode hitting the side of the tank. so i just opted for evaporust.
this is bc the tomos frame is the tank and it's pretty big so i couldn't dunk it.

i'm going to probably try electrolysis on the puch magnum tank though.
Pittsy
Rock Smoke

Post by Pittsy »

Generz wrote:use evaporust..

por15 can chip off and clog the petcock and stuff.
make sure you remove the petcock or it will get ruined.

here's my method of derusting a gas tank for a moped..

1. drop in 2 lbs of misc nuts and bolts into the tank
2. pour in 1/2 gallon of kerosene
3. shake the tank and flip the tank around for about 30-40 minutes.. (arms tired)

now that all the big rust is broken loose... you can flush out the tank and watch the pieces come out.
you'll want to rinse it about 3-4 times until you see nothing else come out..

pour in 2 gallons of evaporust and let it sit for about 3 days... and agitating it about every 12 hours.

pour out the evaporust.. and then liberallly spray WD-40 into the tank to prevent it from rusting without fuel in there.

it's a lot of work.. but the tank on rachel's moped went from being completely rusted and clogged to super clean.

Yeah, I read about all that on Moped Army too, that's the route I'm planning on taking. I was just wondering if anyone has had any personal experience with any specific products used.

Zach wrote:If you've got access to a battery charger and a relatively large plastic tub you can do electrolysis. It's really simply, just attach battery charger to an electrode and a cathode (two pieces of non-rusted scrap metal) and mix washing soda (you can get it at your local grocery store for ~$2) into water and fill the tank with it. Clamp the ground to a bare metal spot on the outside of the tank. Hang the positive electrode in the tank making sure it doesn't touch the tank or it will cause a short. The electrode has to be changed as it gets rusty/dirty but you end up with a perfectly rust-free tank if you have the patience to do it for a couple of days. Do it in a well ventilated area though because the electrolysis creates hydrogen and oxygen gas and can cause problems if exposed to an open flame/spark. This was how I did my tank and my brother did his. If you've got a big enough tub you can just submerge the tank in water with both electrodes on opposite sides of the tub. I can post pictures if you want.
I read about that. Sounds cool as hell. But honestly, for the effort involved, it's just not worth it on this bike. If need be, I can just replace the frame (tank included) for $50 bucks.
Zach
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Zach »

Yeah, it wasn't really that bad. I was able to constantly do other stuff while it was going on. It may have made a difference that I had a bunch of spare scrap metal to use cost wise. The process is probably less work than the process Eugene described, at least physically. It may require a bit more attention though.
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

Generz wrote: por15 can chip off and clog the petcock and stuff.
Never heard of that before, they probably didn't follow the directions.
siccccckkkkkkkk
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

Pittsy wrote: Yeah, I read about all that on Moped Army too, that's the route I'm planning on taking. I was just wondering if anyone has had any personal experience with any specific products used.
LOL. I just told you my personal experience. Hah
Pittsy
Rock Smoke

Post by Pittsy »

Generz wrote:
Pittsy wrote: Yeah, I read about all that on Moped Army too, that's the route I'm planning on taking. I was just wondering if anyone has had any personal experience with any specific products used.
LOL. I just told you my personal experience. Hah

Oh wow, haha. That's almost the exact method suggested on MA. Figured you got it from there. lol
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

yeah it's basically all the same process when it comes to removing rust.. vinegar sucks and takes forever and gets weak.

i think electrolysis is good and also the evaporust if you are able to break up the big flecks of rust FOERST (which is why i used nuts/bolts with kerosene)..

learned a lot of tricks when i used to help my friends de-rust their rabbit gas tanks.
Pittsy
Rock Smoke

Post by Pittsy »

I'm HALF WAY considering (maybe more like a third of the way) having the frame powder-coated, simply because the dip process would cure all rust issues.

Bobby's got a guy that'll do all parts for around $100 bucks. That's just another $100 bucks I'd have to throw at this thing, & I'm really not trying to make this an expensive "toss my wallet at it" project. So far, I'm only at $190, with another $90 or so I'd like to spend.
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

Pittsy wrote:I'm HALF WAY considering (maybe more like a third of the way) having the frame powder-coated, simply because the dip process would cure all rust issues.

Bobby's got a guy that'll do all parts for around $100 bucks. That's just another $100 bucks I'd have to throw at this thing, & I'm really not trying to make this an expensive "toss my wallet at it" project. So far, I'm only at $190, with another $90 or so I'd like to spend.
i don't think that you can dip a frame in powdercoat.

you have to put the powder into a gun and electrostatically charge the frame of the bike to make it stick.. then you bake it to make it smooth and flow out.

the bad thing is.. you can't really powder coat the inside of the tank at all bc of two reasons..

1. it has rust (which is not magnetic) and it can not take an electrostatic charge
2. you won't be able to get any corner in there.. nook and cranny.

just go with the tried and true way.. you'll end up spending less money and works just as well.