[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
• View topic - Gonna look at a suby this weekend
It is currently Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Gonna look at a suby this weekend
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:05 am 
Rock Smoke

Anything in particular I should look for aside from the usual inspection stuff? It's a '93 impreza wagon, GF6 if I remember my alphabet soup right.

In our minds. In our reality. In our world we are QUEEN DUCHESS TEAPOT HABERDASHERY!! RULER OF ALL!! PARTY OF ONE!!!

fooschnicks: totally oawesome
fooschnicks: whatever that means
gregthore: oaseome
gregthore: without me it's just oaweso
gregthore: Eugene has a meagan muff

Post subject: Re: Gonna look at a suby this weekend
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:16 pm 
Eet Bacon

Listen to the rear wheel bearings... make sure they aren't bad.
Also make sure the car is cold when you start it up so you can listen to see how much piston slap there is.

The piston slap isn't really too much of a concern, it's just a good indicator on how old the car is or how tired the motor is.

Erik's Outback has 230k on it and it pretty much has it all the time now.
Mine is 180k and it only has it when it's cold.. once it warms up it's good.

That's about it as far as the early GC body style cars go.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:40 pm 
Rock Smoke

Cool, figured there wasn't much to go over aside from the usual stuff. Hopefully it checks out ok and I come home with a rumble. :3

In our minds. In our reality. In our world we are QUEEN DUCHESS TEAPOT HABERDASHERY!! RULER OF ALL!! PARTY OF ONE!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:25 am 
Rock Smoke

I has a suby. :headbang:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:44 am 
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Noice!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:00 am 
Rock Smoke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:54 am 
Muscle Milk

:jealous: I want a wagon too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:14 pm 
Rock Smoke

Pics are coming, was going to start cleaning it up today but I didn't find the keys until it was time to leave for work. Maybe tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:48 pm 
Rock Smoke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:59 pm 
Muscle Milk

what does it need as far as being operational?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:14 pm 
Rock Smoke

Most likely an engine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:26 am 
Eet Bacon

what's wrong with the 2.2 that's in it?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:19 am 
Rock Smoke

According to the PO the timing belt slipped some teeth or something and messed up some of the valves. I was going to try and get the front covers off last night but my tool kit has gone missing and didn't want to use SAE sockets on stuff. I'm going to run by the shop today to get my metric stuff and bring it home so I can get in there and find what's up. A cursory inspection of the outside doesn't show any damage (leaky fluids, holes in the head/block) so there doesn't appear to be any catastrophic failure.

I'm really hoping the timing is just off or something and can be reset for a quick fix. I'll know more as the week progresses, or by this afternoon if I don't hear back from work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:30 am 
Eet Bacon

Awesome. Congrats dude. That's exactly what I'm kind of looking for right now.

K-TO-THE-MOTHERFUCKIN-OI! OI! OI!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:44 pm 
Eet Bacon

easy thing to do is pop the front timing covers off and check the timing on each cam.

since it's a sohc.. it's really easy to check it. if it has slipped a tooth it will probably cause it to run poorly or not run at all.

i would put the timing back to stock.. see how well it runs.
if it runs rough.. a valve may be bent but then just pull the plugs to see which plug is fouled and that will let you know which cylinder.

pull the head off.. rebuild the head... and slap it back together.

bingo.

way cheaper than a new motor.

Page 1 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next