any snow lovers here?

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

any snow lovers here?

Post by icantdrift »

so who else is a snowboarder/skier? i'm trying to get a trip together and wanted to know how many people would be interested in going along. it would be sometime between jan 1-10th, probably about a 3 day trip to either sugar/beech mountains or up to snowshoe WV. beech and sugar are ~3hrs away, snowshoe is 7-8. i'm really trying to get numbers so i can see about getting group discounts and such on lodging and lift tickets :D.

beech/sugar are good for both beginners and advanced riders, some of the more hardcore elitist people say it's too granular but i'm perfectly fine with the conditions up there. the slopes are fun as hell and both have decently long rides from top to bottom. sugar has a boardpark too for those with freestyle in their blood ;). the coolest thing at beech is the high speed chairlift that feels like a rollercoaster taking off up the hill. lodging there would most likely be a standard hotel like the holiday inn which is about 1/2 mile from the entrance of sugar mtn, beech is about 3-4 miles away (fun twisty roads going up there too).

snowshoe is a huge place with tons and tons of trails and you can rent cabins that allow you to step off the porch and head down the hill. obviously this would be a more expensive trip but would have a bit better snow conditions and more trails to ride. plus if you pack lots of people into the cabin it's probably cheaper than the hotel ;). downside is the longer drive to get there.

or if anyone is up for just a day trip there's always sky valley in GA. it's only about 45 mins from my house and super cheap compared to the big places. good place to learn or go if you only have one day to ride ;). they don't have any snow yet either manmade or natural (of course) but i'd imagine they will start laying snow before christmas so they don't lose their ass during the season.

anyone interested at all post back and i'll start making calls
slidewaysgolf
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by slidewaysgolf »

I like to make snowmans :D lol J/K but i have always wanted to try some sort of snow sport.
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

i would really love to go snowboarding (hooman and i were talking about this a few weeks ago), however i'm fairly sure i'll be a little low on funds during that time :( (paying for the cali trip, x-mas stuff, and my camera has made a good dent in my wallet and it's gonna take a while to recover). if i get rich, or if you end up waiting a while i might be able to make it though.
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

no worries man, there will be plenty of trips throughout the winter. just about every weekend i'm off work i'll be up at sky valley playing and if i have a good full weekend off i'll be heading towards sugar and beech.
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

awesome, i'll definately try to hit it up later on then.

oh yea, a few of us might go ice skating tomorrow if anyone wants to go :). kinda irrelevant, but hey, they're both related to cold stuff :mrgreen: .
MTRLevolution
Get Some

Post by MTRLevolution »

ice skating sucks!!! i won't be participating.

i do love snow though. and poop.
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

nevermind, i checked their schedule and there's some special event today so no public skating. oh well.
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

dammit, due to new ownership sky valley won't be open for this season :(... looks like 2hrs is the closest place now (cataloochee) or about 1.5hrs to sapphire valley.

but..... tentative plans for the ski/board trip in january

jan 3-5, Sugar Mtn ski resort in Banner Elk NC. they are getting snow now so by then conditions will be great. we will be heading up the 2nd early to get some time on the slopes the same day, skiing all day the 2nd day, and possibly doing a morning session on the last day depending on how dead everyone is. it's about a 3hr drive to get there but a lot of the road are twisty/scenic once you get up there so its like being on a mountain run and the time doesn't seem as bad.

prices will be ~$35 for a full day ski session, $26 for half day sessions, ski rental is $16 all day, boards are $29. lodging will be most likely a slopeside cabin, 3 bedrooms for $180-$190 per night. split that with 6 people and that's $30/person per night, not bad at all for slopeside. this may be adjusted to a local hotel later on if people flake.

so average spending on the trip if you're renting equipment will be ~$200 for all 3 days if we ski on all 3 (not likely). believe me we will probably be hurtin before the 2nd day even starts ;). so you're looking more like $150 for the trip, maybe less if we get more people to go :).
Last edited by icantdrift on Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

sweet, i could probably deal with something in the $150 range. but yea, after 1 day i probably will be just about dead if it's anything like my FOERST trip :).
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

CodyW wrote:sweet, i could probably deal with something in the $150 range. but yea, after 1 day i probably will be just about dead if it's anything like my FOERST trip :).

i know my legs will be killing me, but in a good way.
struka
Slippery When Westicles

Post by struka »

we just need to find 6 people to have this to a min. cost :D
but i would really like to go.
charlie
Eet Bacon

Re: any snow lovers here?

Post by charlie »

http://mikengreg.com/solipskier/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

take that next half hour you were going to spend on something productive and kiss it goodbye.
[html]<object data="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" style="outline:none;" width="512" height="44" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param value="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" name="movie"/><param value="always" name="AllowScriptAccess"/><param value="opaque" name="wmode"/><param value="noscale" name="scale"/><param value="tl" name="salign"/></object><BR>
[/html]K-TO-THE-MOTHERFUCKIN-OI! OI! OI!
revel
Eet Bacon

Post by revel »

charlie wrote:http://mikengreg.com/solipskier/

take that next half hour you were going to spend on something productive and kiss it goodbye.
you werent kidding!
Cankles
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Cankles »

kongregate makes some good games
ChadMK4
Purple Drank

Post by ChadMK4 »

Ok thats entertaining. I have to stop for a sec so I can get a couple of chores done. Then it's ski time.