It's gonna be ridiculously hot this weekend...

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

LilAfrikan
Past the Hazing

Re: It's gonna be ridiculously hot this weekend...

Post by LilAfrikan »

oh! Renegade is in Chicago! NEAT! We'll have to come visit you then and have a booth :D
LilAfrikan
Past the Hazing

Post by LilAfrikan »

$400!!!! Holy crap....ok maybe not. I'd have to hit a succesful streak FOERST to make that cost effective at $20 a necklace. wow!
charlie
Eet Bacon

Post by charlie »

Well fwiw, Renegade is two days. I can't remember if ICE is. Renegade has gotten steadily more and more expensive because it's like a craft Mecca. People come from all over the country (and Canada) to participate. We still made money on $20 t-shirts though I imagine our cost of $4-$8 per item was considerably less than the time involved with making your necklaces. It helps to have little weird things like buttons and stickers that attract kids... and print a big fucking cool ass sign... and have a friend sit around in front of your booth and "fake" browse. It's so weird how this shit works but people in crowds become totally magnetic and just one person looking at your stuff creates subconscious interest in people walking by, which as you can imagine multiplies as more people stop. The standard 10ft "no thank you" distance crumbles under the need to see what this fake shopper is so interested in.

Shit works. I've done it a million times.
[html]<object data="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" style="outline:none;" width="512" height="44" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param value="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" name="movie"/><param value="always" name="AllowScriptAccess"/><param value="opaque" name="wmode"/><param value="noscale" name="scale"/><param value="tl" name="salign"/></object><BR>
[/html]K-TO-THE-MOTHERFUCKIN-OI! OI! OI!
LilAfrikan
Past the Hazing

Post by LilAfrikan »

charlie wrote:Well fwiw, Renegade is two days. I can't remember if ICE is. Renegade has gotten steadily more and more expensive because it's like a craft Mecca. People come from all over the country (and Canada) to participate. We still made money on $20 t-shirts though I imagine our cost of $4-$8 per item was considerably less than the time involved with making your necklaces. It helps to have little weird things like buttons and stickers that attract kids... and print a big fucking cool ass sign... and have a friend sit around in front of your booth and "fake" browse. It's so weird how this shit works but people in crowds become totally magnetic and just one person looking at your stuff creates subconscious interest in people walking by, which as you can imagine multiplies as more people stop. The standard 10ft "no thank you" distance crumbles under the need to see what this fake shopper is so interested in.

Shit works. I've done it a million times.
SWEET! So you and Andy will be my fake shoppers then, and you can give me more pointers too. :D I'm excited. I'll def will need to start saving though, and spend every weekend making necklaces. I can make about 10 a day if I have the right record album covers, but I've pretty much used all the good ones, so I'll have to go hunting for more. Hopefully this weekend will be much better, and even though I'm kinda going to a "sell your junk sale" of some sort, if I can make enough money to make more necklaces, it'll be worth it. :)
charlie
Eet Bacon

Post by charlie »

Go to estate sales on the last day of the sale. You can buy BOXES of records for a song and a dance. In the last hour of these sales, the people running them seriously don't give a shit what you pay for things because anything that doesn't sell is going to be donated to a church or thrift store somewhere. This is all aside from the fun of snooping around in old shit.
[html]<object data="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" style="outline:none;" width="512" height="44" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param value="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" name="movie"/><param value="always" name="AllowScriptAccess"/><param value="opaque" name="wmode"/><param value="noscale" name="scale"/><param value="tl" name="salign"/></object><BR>
[/html]K-TO-THE-MOTHERFUCKIN-OI! OI! OI!
LilAfrikan
Past the Hazing

Post by LilAfrikan »

charlie wrote:Go to estate sales on the last day of the sale. You can buy BOXES of records for a song and a dance. In the last hour of these sales, the people running them seriously don't give a shit what you pay for things because anything that doesn't sell is going to be donated to a church or thrift store somewhere. This is all aside from the fun of snooping around in old shit.
That's a great idea. Never thought of that before. I have gone to two estate sales where they wanted like $2/ album, when I could get it at goodwill for $0.85, which doesn't sounds like a lot, but you really need 3 good albums to make one necklaces, so the cost starts racking up fast in that sense. I just looked through all the photos of the Chicago Renegade show from last year http://www.flickr.com/photos/renegadecr ... 993307523/ and u weren't kidding. This show is like outdoor retail craft heaven. I love it! I will definitely need to improve my booth display for a show like this. I really want to cover the sides with the actual records linked together in one sheet to create a wall like separator from the booth next to me. I think that would look really neat. I'll have to post photos of what the booth looked like last weekend. Not bad, but I definitely threw it together.