SA2010 helmet recommendations

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

down_shift
Muscle Milk

SA2010 helmet recommendations

Post by down_shift »

looking to buy a new helmet for next season. budget is somewhere in the $300 range. I've seen several good looking options but I don't have much to go on to narrow it down more. anyone have some insight opinions on any of these good or bad, quality, fit & sizing? did I miss any? should I just go with a close out but nicer SA2005? any good review places? thanks for the help guys.

Pyrotect $298 Info

G-Force $249 Info

Bell $279 Info
Screen shot 2011-12-28 at 10.33.30 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-12-28 at 10.33.30 PM.png (115.81 KiB) Viewed 10881 times
Zamp $169 Info
hjc.png
hjc.png (134.01 KiB) Viewed 10881 times
HJC $299 Info
simpson.png
simpson.png (124.57 KiB) Viewed 10881 times
Simpson $299 Info
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae
andysapp
I need to go outside

Re: SA2010 helmet recommendations

Post by andysapp »

I am partial to Bell for some reason. I have no clue why, but I tend to lean towards Bell. I'm sure if you're spending decent money on a helmet that they'll all be pretty equal. IDK if there is anywhere local where you can try them (or some of them) on... but that would probably be best.
AndrewC
Fresh Meat

Post by AndrewC »

If I didn't have my Simpson I would go with the hjc. Roommate has it and its pretty sweet looking.
froggi
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

working next to a motorcycle shop for a year and a half I would stay away from HJC helmets. that's what all those dudes would tell customers.
Bikes, Meat, Drama, Meat, Gossip, Meat, Metal, Meat, Buttsex, Meat, Family and some Drifting.
HATERDAN
Purple Drank

Post by HATERDAN »

I have a simpson bandit and its sooooooooooooooo much better than just about every helmet you listed. yes its almost twice as much but its also on my head and that's kind of an important part.
-dan
Freddy2k
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by Freddy2k »

For some reason i started to like jet helmets... Back in the days i was afraid of them cause no protection for the face but on hot track days its much much better i think...

In germany SA2010 Helmets start at ~$400
www.driftblog.de - german drift community, driftsport & tuning ||| I'm not drunk, I'm drifting!
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

I picked up the Zamp recently and I'm happy with it, especially for the price. For occasional drift and track stuff it's all you will ever need
Roadkill
Ripe Meat

Post by Roadkill »

I have the G Force SA 2005. Paid around 300 @ summit and I love it! Very comfortable to wear all day.
Tires, Smoke em if you got em!
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

thanks a lot for the info guys. will probably decided on something here pretty soon.
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae
Ted J
Fresh Meat

Post by Ted J »

icantdrift wrote:I picked up the Zamp recently and I'm happy with it, especially for the price. For occasional drift and track stuff it's all you will ever need
Where can you get Zamp's at?
Ted J
Fresh Meat

Post by Ted J »

I know I bought this up from the dead somewhat but figured why start another thread.

What are you guys thoughts on open face vs full face for drifting? I am wanting to get a SA2010 helmet but still deciding on open face vs. full face.

I will be doing mostly autox'ing and some drift events here and there so was thinking of going with an open faced G-Force SA2010 helmet for around the $150 to $180 range in price for now. But wanted to make sure before getting the open faced one that it would still be okay at local drift events. I know or autox'ing it's fine but didn't know about drifting.

Thanks!

Ted
Dr. Marlow
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Dr. Marlow »

HATERDAN wrote:I have a simpson bandit and its sooooooooooooooo much better than just about every helmet you listed. yes its almost twice as much but its also on my head and that's kind of an important part.
thats what i just bought :domo:
You've got the wrong answer
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

Ted J wrote:I know I bought this up from the dead somewhat but figured why start another thread.

What are you guys thoughts on open face vs full face for drifting? I am wanting to get a SA2010 helmet but still deciding on open face vs. full face.

I will be doing mostly autox'ing and some drift events here and there so was thinking of going with an open faced G-Force SA2010 helmet for around the $150 to $180 range in price for now. But wanted to make sure before getting the open faced one that it would still be okay at local drift events. I know or autox'ing it's fine but didn't know about drifting.

Thanks!

Ted
Open face is fine for local drifting, but it's nice to close the shield on a full face helmet for tandem.
Ted J
Fresh Meat

Post by Ted J »

icantdrift wrote:
Ted J wrote:I know I bought this up from the dead somewhat but figured why start another thread.

Thanks!

Ted
Open face is fine for local drifting, but it's nice to close the shield on a full face helmet for tandem.
Thanks for the info! For now I think I'll just do an open face G Force and if I get more serious into it then look into a full face helmet.
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

Ted J wrote:
icantdrift wrote:

Thanks!

Ted
Thanks for the info! For now I think I'll just do an open face G Force and if I get more serious into it then look into a full face helmet.

The G Force rep was at the Mitty selling open faced SA2005 units for $50.