*.subaruMechaniks

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Re: *.subaruMechaniks

Post by jsquared »

After getting the 4runner up to my spot I pretty much decided not to get into a Subaru :( It was a nice idea, being able to take my daily up there, but I dont think a subaru would have made it to be honest. The road in was pretty gnar.
siccccckkkkkkkk
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

your lack of faith is disturbing
Bikes, Meat, Drama, Meat, Gossip, Meat, Metal, Meat, Buttsex, Meat, Family and some Drifting.
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

Haha well of course the subie woulda made it! I guess I should say I wouldnt have made it in a sub. I was slipping a bit as it was in the 4runner in 4 low. It looked like this:

siccccckkkkkkkk
syn77
Stale Meat

Post by syn77 »

got a subi question...are oem brakes (pads and rotors) better than the shit from autozone/napa/advance? oh and any of u dudes have hookups on oem stuffs?
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

Rotors yes, pads not so much. I tried 2 different non-Subaru rotors on the front with terrible warpage in a short time. I tried Worldpac replacements and Brembo rotors. my oem rotors I've had on for almost 3 years now, and they are still in good shape. with all this said the WRX is definitely under-broke, needs bigger rotors and calipers even on a stock car. as for pads I tried Advance auto pads, they were loud and shitty for stopping power, I'm using Akibono pads right now with very good results, they have about 20,000 miles and still stop really good. Best non-oem pad I've ever used on any car is the Panther + from Carbotech.
Bikes, Meat, Drama, Meat, Gossip, Meat, Metal, Meat, Buttsex, Meat, Family and some Drifting.
syn77
Stale Meat

Post by syn77 »

awesome thanks for the knowledge!!! i used autozone stuffs and it barely brakes better than a corolla haha..
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

yeah.. pretty much the cheap 'white-box' brake rotors will warp quickly.. OEM rotors and the Brembos have always been good to me. The key is not to over-torque the wheels/lugnuts as it puts pressure on the rotor hat and can cause early warping.

oh JJ.. a Subaru could make that easily. :)

It had 4-LO as well. :)

I've driven the my white 2000 Outback up something similar to that on powerline trails in Gwinnett. I was on street tires and got some slippage but since it was automatic.. a little 2 foot driving cured it.

Keep the 4runner if it's treating you well though!
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

I would have to see that to believe it. If i was slipping on Dunlop Mud T/A's in 4 low with light light throttle, I dont see how a subie on street tires would have made it.
siccccckkkkkkkk
FooSchnickens
Rock Smoke

Post by FooSchnickens »

Your argument is invalid.

f00tography
In our minds. In our reality. In our world we are QUEEN DUCHESS TEAPOT HABERDASHERY!! RULER OF ALL!! PARTY OF ONE!!!
fooschnicks: totally oawesome
fooschnicks: whatever that means
gregthore: oaseome
gregthore: without me it's just oaweso
gregthore: Eugene has a meagan muff
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

Lol @ Taylor
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

HAHAHA the trapezoid! When we were growing up we called them Killarmy vans. You gonna buy one?

siccccckkkkkkkk
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

jsquared wrote:I would have to see that to believe it. If i was slipping on Dunlop Mud T/A's in 4 low with light light throttle, I dont see how a subie on street tires would have made it.
Are you talking about the GL or the Outback? The GL could make it up that I'm pretty sure.

The Outback made it up something similar to that but it wasn't as steep at the end.. but that place looks like it's in the southwest.