Fuck the cold, man.

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

charlie
Eet Bacon

Fuck the cold, man.

Post by charlie »

Interior smells like gas (probably due to this), got an uppipe leak somewhere and the turbo is all whiny. This some bullshit.
revel
Eet Bacon

Re: Fuck the cold, man.

Post by revel »

Damn. Hate to hear that. I know about stinky fuel smells inside of a car and it seriously sucks. My GC has fuel stink, but I think mine is due to a hole in the evap box or one of those lines at the evap box at back of car.

If turbo is making a high pitched whine even at idle it may be time to change it out.
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

yeah when my up-pipe cracked it smelled like uncatalyzed exhaust gas, I would have to run the heat on recirculate and crack a window. check the downpipe for cracks as well, around the turbo flange.

I installed a Turbo XS up-pipe with a flex section to hopefully prevent another crack. I also bought a new EGT sensor because they rust in the up-pipe and usually twist and break.

TD04 turbos are cheap, IHIs that come on the STI are a little cheaper but most are prone to wastegate cracks.
Bikes, Meat, Drama, Meat, Gossip, Meat, Metal, Meat, Buttsex, Meat, Family and some Drifting.
charlie
Eet Bacon

Post by charlie »

Geez, I hope nothing is cracked. She's getting long in the tooth but I'm not quite ready to start putting stock parts back on. Though I probably will have to take out the Teins soon and ship them off.

I'm hoping the whiny whistle sound is just a loose IC pipe or something. Reminds me of the way my DSM sounded when I installed the RFL-BOV and didn't tighten it down enough.
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

If something in the exhaust pre-turbo or the downpipe connection at the turbo is leaking it'll make the whistle/whine you're hearing, it'll also be generally down on power.
charlie
Eet Bacon

Post by charlie »

I think I've got my whines and grinds and squeaks and squeals all mixed up. The sound was getting more metallic sounding and it's a little warmer today so I spent a little time trying to find the noise. This is the exact noise so I guess I just need to swap out the ac tensioner pulley. I know there's nothing exciting about diagnosing random-ass wear and tear things but I appreciate having you guys to talk to when my shit goes wonk. Just wanted to say that.

[html]<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IXej4Pmypz ... detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/html]
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

my AC idler sounded a little worse than that, easy repair thought. few hand tools and about an hour.
Bikes, Meat, Drama, Meat, Gossip, Meat, Metal, Meat, Buttsex, Meat, Family and some Drifting.
charlie
Eet Bacon

Post by charlie »

Question: Can I just roll without that belt until it warms up a bit?
revel
Eet Bacon

Post by revel »

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1487622

pretty good thread about your ac issue. seems the part is relatively cheap as well and like greg said it is a pretty easy fix. oh and yes you can just remove that belt and be fine until you decide to fix it.

you still got a leaky up-pipe?
Cankles
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Cankles »

If he is anything like the rest of you scoundrels is probably has a loose exhaust port :wink:
charlie
Eet Bacon

Post by charlie »

Don't think so now. When I was trying to figure it out originally, I got the wrong idea from some youtube videos I think. Like when you go on WebMD and think you have everything they're describing if you read it long enough.

I took the pulley off this afternoon and the car sounds much better. I'm ordering a metal replacement and I'll put it back together when I get back in town.
revel
Eet Bacon

Post by revel »

good to hear. glad its something nice and simple and fairly cheap.
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

stupid pulley.. the old outback did this too.
revel
Eet Bacon

Post by revel »

wonder if that is part of the whine my suby is making. does it stay constant or does it go up and down with the rpms?
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

when my pulley effed up the whine went up and down the the RPMs