S15 full body vinyl build up

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

BandyDesign
Ripe Meat

S15 full body vinyl build up

Post by BandyDesign »

Stole this from another forum.

Sebastian Pichard(http://www.spphoto.dk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) put together this impressive vinyl for what should be a number of cars.
Hey Dieselstation. I wanna take you through the progress of a big project that I've been working on for some months now.

I have this friend, who owns a big car import, and he told me that he was gonna start a drift team next year, and he wanted me to do the cars graphics.

This is how his S15 looked before I started:

So, this is the progress. From start to end.

FOERST, I went to take some pictures of the car to make the graphics on, so that I know they will be the right size and proportions.

After taking those pics, I started drawing it in Flash, so that the colors would be better, more clean reflections etc.

Outlined FOERST:

Then I colored it:

Now I had a template to use, so I spent hours on talking with my friend, and the guy who's going to drift the car next year, and we finally came up with a design that we all liked.

So FOERST I made a viewer friendly version, so they could see what it was going to look like when done:

Then I had to do a printer friendly version, that means no reflections or anything like that in the vinyl:

After that, we had to decide how the rear of the car had to look, so I drew a very quick, and way less detailed pic of the rear

And made a printer friendly design to begin with:

And then I waited.

And just here, 1½ hours ago, I saw my design in real life for the FOERST time! It was so amazing to see!

Here are the pics of the finished result:

That's my name :q:

If everything goes right, this design will be on 6 cars by the beginning of 2010.
Source: http://forums.dieselstation.com/index.p ... opic=30343" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
andysapp
I need to go outside

Re: S15 full body vinyl build up

Post by andysapp »

That's pretty rad! I love that wireframe of the car. I never have the patience to trace shit in Illustrator like that. I am thinking about taking the dive into getting a Wacom tablet - so that could change.
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

agree the coolest thing is that he took the time to illustrate the car. I would have just done the mockup in Ps. Not a huge fan of the design but as long as his clients happy.
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae
BandyDesign
Ripe Meat

Post by BandyDesign »

He actually used flash, which I would have never thought to do.

Andy, I highly recommend grabbing a tablet up. I love mine!

I really like the wireframe too, Makes me want to do some photochopping.
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Everyone I know that uses a tablet loves it... they all say you just have to get past the two-week mark - then it all clicks and you never want to go back.
revel
Eet Bacon

Post by revel »

andysapp wrote:Everyone I know that uses a tablet loves it... they all say you just have to get past the two-week mark - then it all clicks and you never want to go back.
i can attest to this truth...had one at turner. took me a minute to get it, but then it was all gravy
BandyDesign
Ripe Meat

Post by BandyDesign »

I literally couldn't sign my name on it for a week and now its the most natural thing. I wish I had it everywhere I walked up to a computer! I'm thinking about upgrading to a MED Intuos.4
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

can one of you tablet bros trace out a 240sx coupe(pop up front). that would be boss. i would like to be able to play around with vinyl schemes in illustrator.
please believe
shawn shawn
Hollasaurus Rex

Post by shawn shawn »

Car was rad vinyl less.

Vinyl would be better w/o checker flag and that arrow in the logo is kinda uggs.

Process and vectors are fully dick though.
ImageImage

_team rowdy_
Abactus
Rock Smoke

Post by Abactus »

the Flash drawings are cool
foilman
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by foilman »

Cool process.
Shawn needs to have his eyes checked though :P Those fenders are hideous and I'm glad the vinyl helps hide them. I don't like that style on real JGTC cars, much less those fake ones on a stock ride height (or nearly so) street car. And the S15 never even ran under the rules that allowed them to be that ugly anyway.
barf
revel
Eet Bacon

Post by revel »

foilman wrote:Cool process.
Shawn needs to have his eyes checked though :P Those fenders are hideous and I'm glad the vinyl helps hide them. I don't like that style on real JGTC cars, much less those fake ones on a stock ride height (or nearly so) street car. And the S15 never even ran under the rules that allowed them to be that ugly anyway.
barf
thank you tony. agree 100%......except on r34. those hideous fenders actually looked rather rad on them.
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

BandyDesign wrote:MED Intuos.4
That's actually what I'm looking at!
BandyDesign
Ripe Meat

Post by BandyDesign »

andysapp wrote:
BandyDesign wrote:MED Intuos.4
That's actually what I'm looking at!
Awesome! I tried out my buddy's large and it was just too big... its not like you can't zoom in :P

The small isn't bad, but the intuos is worlds more refined than the bamboo series and med would be nice on large res monitors.
shawn shawn
Hollasaurus Rex

Post by shawn shawn »

I didn't spend much time looking at it honestly. I wouldn't do it but the car looks ok for what it is. Front fenders do suck.
ImageImage

_team rowdy_