My RWD Subaru build thread?

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

Zigerus
Clam Salesman

My RWD Subaru build thread?

Post by Zigerus »

Ya, sure that's what it'll be called.

I own a Subaru 2003 WRX WRB.

Exterior as follows.
VIS CF Hood
CW Grill
CW Sideskirts
CW rear bumper
Rota Subzero 17" in black with silver rim
Stock wheel's painted
I custom Fabed the center console to have the Radio in the stock clock position and then my gauges are where the radio would normally be.
Mirror tinted windows.
Wingless.
Misc. Stickers for things like STLSubaru, DriftSTL, Control Freaks and Driftmechaniks

Engine-
AP V1
Short air intake
CSS TMIC
12 LBS Flywheel
South Bend Kevlar/ceramic clutch TZ type

Drivetrain-
H&R Coilovers
Whiteline 27MM rear sway
Whiteline metal rear endlinks
Whiteline rear sway body mounts.
Custom Drive shaft made by Bruce over at A-line Driveshaft. (I.E. SubaruBruce.)
Custom Axles made by Constant Velocity of Ocala. http://www.cvaxles.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
R200 Rear Differential
Welded Center Differential
Welded Rear Differential
Replaced rear transfer gears and bearings with OEM Shot peened and cryo treated gears.
Custom made rear mounting bracket for the rear differential.

So the hard part appears to be done I am actually RWD with a R200 Rear diff in it. There still seems to be at least 1 bug to work out on it. When I am off the gas or while the clutch is pushed in I seem to get a strange Rubbing noise. Sounds as if the tires were rubbing but at the same time it sounds like metal on metal contact. I am thinking my Ring and Pinion are out of alignment. I am going to rip it back down and find out.
Control Freaks!~ http://www.cfdrift.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Throttle fixes everything. Love is kissing your rear bumper into a snowbank at 40 mph and not leaving a scratch. If hookers carried active differentials in their purses and knew how to use 'em, I wouldn't be married. Left-foot braking fixes everything the throttle doesn't fix, including impotence and poor self-esteem. Banging off a rev limiter while looking out a car's side window and slamming into a steering stop will cure cancer. If the car isn't moving around under power, you are a small, testicle-free squirrel. The handbrake fixes everything left-foot braking doesn't fix, including philosophical issues with most major religions and the heartbreakingly impossible question of what you should have for dinner*.
Zigerus
Clam Salesman

Re: My RWD Subaru build thread?

Post by Zigerus »

Control Freaks!~ http://www.cfdrift.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Throttle fixes everything. Love is kissing your rear bumper into a snowbank at 40 mph and not leaving a scratch. If hookers carried active differentials in their purses and knew how to use 'em, I wouldn't be married. Left-foot braking fixes everything the throttle doesn't fix, including impotence and poor self-esteem. Banging off a rev limiter while looking out a car's side window and slamming into a steering stop will cure cancer. If the car isn't moving around under power, you are a small, testicle-free squirrel. The handbrake fixes everything left-foot braking doesn't fix, including philosophical issues with most major religions and the heartbreakingly impossible question of what you should have for dinner*.
RE_guru
Fresh Meat

Post by RE_guru »

finally not just e-brake initiations
Last edited by RE_guru on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nate
94' Rx-7 Montego Blue
88' Rx-7 drift slut
04' Rx-8 GT 6spd (daily)

Control Freaks!!!!!!!! www.cfdrift.com
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

not a huge fan of the cosmetics but I think its a really cool project. vids?
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae
Zigerus
Clam Salesman

Post by Zigerus »

down_shift wrote:not a huge fan of the cosmetics but I think its a really cool project. vids?
ASAP. I have no vidja camera of my own right now sooo. Ohh and the cosmetics are changing as I break them lol
revel
Eet Bacon

Post by revel »

please break the hood and then replace with a wrc styled hood...............or just oem CF hood then cut and add the wrc hood vent piece. also why did you weld the r200? arent they supposed to hold up 100x better than the stock?

ps: get some nissan wheel bearings and go with wider wheels. just MHO. ignore it if ya want (i have a wheel problem)
Zigerus
Clam Salesman

Post by Zigerus »

revel wrote:please break the hood and then replace with a wrc styled hood...............or just oem CF hood then cut and add the wrc hood vent piece. also why did you weld the r200? arent they supposed to hold up 100x better than the stock?

ps: get some nissan wheel bearings and go with wider wheels. just MHO. ignore it if ya want (i have a wheel problem)
I would enjoy a WRC style hood, but for now I have issues with stock cooling anyways so the extra vents help quite abit. As much as 20 Degrees oil temp during summer. I welded the R200 Because it was open, it is out of a 260z.

And believe me I really need to do something about the wheels they are fugly and skinny as hell. When I get some funds this was going to be the FOERST resource for wheel advice. But before I worry about the cars looks I need a cage and to make sure it can back the looks up.
mikespeed95
Get Some

Post by mikespeed95 »

i just wanted to give you an e-high five for using a 260z r200 in your newish soobie.

that is awesome, keep up the nice work
Nismo300zxt
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by Nismo300zxt »

I am pretty sure they didn't start putting R200's in the Z until the S130. The 260z has a R180.
Zigerus
Clam Salesman

Post by Zigerus »

I can tell you with 100% confidence that it is a long nose R200. Here is a Nissan diff write up that helped alot with the choosing of the diff. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=116207" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The reason I choose that diff is because it's the only Long nose that had the same gear ratio as my stock R160 which is 3.54, So I can now plug my front axles back in and drive AWD when needed. I spent almost 2 months looking at the right diff for this setup. The diff practically bolts right in I had to do some adjustments and make a custom mustache bar so I could keep the rear of the diff in place but it was pretty easy.
mikespeed95
Get Some

Post by mikespeed95 »

Zigerus wrote:The diff practically bolts right in I had to do some adjustments and make a custom mustache bar so I could keep the rear of the diff in place but it was pretty easy.
pics now.

you should mount the old one to the front bumper
Zigerus
Clam Salesman

Post by Zigerus »

ROFL, I'll have to grab them tomorrow if I get time, I've been trying to get it on a rack since I finished the project to get some good pics. But jacked up pics will have to do for now I guess.
Nismo300zxt
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by Nismo300zxt »

Zigerus wrote:I can tell you with 100% confidence that it is a long nose R200. Here is a Nissan diff write up that helped alot with the choosing of the diff. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=116207" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The reason I choose that diff is because it's the only Long nose that had the same gear ratio as my stock R160 which is 3.54, So I can now plug my front axles back in and drive AWD when needed. I spent almost 2 months looking at the right diff for this setup. The diff practically bolts right in I had to do some adjustments and make a custom mustache bar so I could keep the rear of the diff in place but it was pretty easy.
Sorry man. I was pulling up some old files in the brain. Looks like I was wrong.
Zigerus
Clam Salesman

Post by Zigerus »

Nismo300zxt wrote:
Zigerus wrote:I can tell you with 100% confidence that it is a long nose R200. Here is a Nissan diff write up that helped alot with the choosing of the diff. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=116207" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry man. I was pulling up some old files in the brain. Looks like I was wrong.
No apology needed, I am glad people double check. For real. :slayer:

And I did not get a chance to go out and get pic's today, worked most of the day and I am dick as a dog right now ; ;