Project Rosie

Pop a wheelie into outer space AND get the chick.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, icantdrift, EVOsaiyanPrince, POOPscandal

jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Project Rosie

Post by jsquared »

So I thought I would give an update on the bike, but start a new project type thread for everyone's perusal and enjoyment.

Day 1.

Picked her up from the PO, a cycle shop owner that promised me lots over the phone and delivered little in person. Bike was as described and looked good except for a dead battery and some extra grief I wasn't counting on (apparently his wife didn't like that he accepted a lower offer on the bike haha).

1974 CB550 K0. Stock except for the wicked handle bars/seat combo and some older Mac (I think) 4-2 pipes with no baffles. Bad paint job (or three) in the past, bobbed front fender, a little bit of road rash on the points cover from a tip, thats about it.

Rode it around the seller's parking lot and trailered it home after considering driving it on cracked tires and sans license haha.

Next 12 months.

Started right in on the tear down like a newb, didnt even take advantage of having a running cycle :) Thus, it was in pieces for the better part of a year. Some stuff done.

New tires
New cables
Rebuilt controls
Serviced clutch
New plugs
New bars
New turn signals
New seat and tail on old seat pan
Pulled/inspected carbs
New fuel lines
New air filter (+1hp yo)
New oil pressure sensor
New front brake line
3000 tune up (point gap, timing, cam chain tension, tappets)

Day 364.

Got everything mostly together and started it up, ran pretty well for being down for a year almost. Ended up with some rust in my gas from having the tank empty for so long and had to pull the carbs again and flush out the bowls. Threw those back on and it is purring like a kitten (on meth).

Day 365.

Went all out, sparing absolutely no expense, and rattle canned it satin black. Looked great for a few minutes.

Day 366.

Took the tank off for a third coat of baller black and it was shaping up to be killer. But, the tank confessed to me that satin black was too cliche for her and committed suicide, sliding off the drying rack and getting allllll banged up in the process. Leaked some gas on the paint and killed it in a few seconds too. A from the grave kill, +10. So, back to the drawing board on that one. Probably going to source a CB550F tank, or any other one that fits. Something old and gnarly and in a retro 70's color scheme that will absolutely clash with the flat black and white. Werd.

Also got some seat foam cut and ready to get stitched on. One thing about the demise of my stock tank, its making me rethink this whole bike. Starting to go the 100% eclectic route. Pieced together, yet complete somehow. You'll see.
siccccckkkkkkkk
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Re: Project Rosie

Post by jsquared »

Ohh, why Project Rosie? Its after Rosie Perez, who is also a complete train wreck.

siccccckkkkkkkk
ChadMK4
Purple Drank

Post by ChadMK4 »

I personally liked the tank that silver unfinished look. But it looks good none the less.
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

ChadMK4 wrote:I personally liked the tank that silver unfinished look. But it looks good none the less.
I liked it too, didnt realize how much until I painted it. Im thinking, with how fast the gas ate through the satin black spraybomb, I might take a wire wheel to it and leave it raw. Will be better than finishing it again and spilling gas on it again and getting pissed off. Again. Will do that tonight and throw it on and see how it looks.
siccccckkkkkkkk
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

I had the mad scientist whip up a composite sketch of what it could look like. I should stress that this is not an actual picture, just a concept.

siccccckkkkkkkk
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

Haha, awesome! Coming together nicely, can't wait to see it totally finished!
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA I am freakin dying over here
siccccckkkkkkkk
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

:heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

andy just gave me office laughs. love jessies derp face.
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae
Abactus
Rock Smoke

Post by Abactus »

LOL
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

Day 666.

Going to ride it to work tomorrow and see what happens :D Finished up the seat, pretty stoked on how it turned out. Also got everything all back together and checked it all out to make sure I (hopefully) wont die tomorrow. Its a short ride so lets hope for the best.

:slayer:

siccccckkkkkkkk
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

Aaaaaaand it ran awesome :) A little sluggish at WOT, not sure if I was just in too high a gear for the speed or the main jet is too big, but otherwise it was buttah.
siccccckkkkkkkk
Pittsy
Rock Smoke

Post by Pittsy »

Nice jorb man! Congrats!
"Too poor for the DM RBO Elite, but they let me tag along anyway."
John Lennon wrote:I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me.
Zach
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Zach »

Good work man, glad to see you're finally getting to enjoy it now! I'm going to have a long weekend at home in a couple weeks and am hoping to get mine back together for the most part! I'll have to check it out in person sometime soon.