Race report;WERA Road Atlanta-Pics added!

Pop a wheelie into outer space AND get the chick.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, icantdrift, EVOsaiyanPrince, POOPscandal

darkducati
Purple Drank

Race report;WERA Road Atlanta-Pics added!

Post by darkducati »

After being away from the track for to long we ran another WERA event this past weekend at Road Atlanta. The weekend started off as usual with me being lazy and missing Saturday practice. I used the warm up lap for the Solo 16 endurance race as practice on Saturday afternoon. This is a race I run along with Formula 2 for track time. My bike is totally out classed and has no chance but it's fun and I like the challenge of running flat out for 40ish miles. I got an okay start and the bike was running okay but my gearing was way to short(maybe if I had made morning practice I would have known this?)so it was even more of an extended test session. However thing quickly got strange as the bikes handling was very wierd. It seemed as if the front end was plowing through the corners but the back didn't feel planted either. I kept telling myself to stop but pressed on to the end. On the cool down lap there was a very bad vibration when the bike was leaned over and at low speeds in a straight line. When we threw it up on the stands dad was the FOERST to notice that the rear slick had a belt seperation about the size of a six inch sub on one side! If this thing had come apart on the back straight I would have been having a bad day. Anyway we had new tires mouted and got ready for Sunday. The morning practice was better but the bike was still not feeling quite right so it was over to CTR suspensions to get the sag and have the damping reset. This really did the trick for my afternoon sprints and the bike just felt better all day. I ended up chasing down a 2nd place spot in Clubman(passed for the position on the last lap going into the chicane where I knew I could make it stick ;) ) and 3rd in D Superstock and D superbike. Mark is still getting used to his new 600RR but had some awesome runs and has had some incredible improvement. He should be bringing home trophies in no time. Sorry we missed you guys. I will post up some pics as soon as I have them. :D

Here are a few pics. I'll post more when I get them from VHS photography.
Last edited by darkducati on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beans and cornbread.
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

sweet
please believe
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

sorry i never got a chance to make it out, but congrats! sounds like a good time!
POOPscandal
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by POOPscandal »

chris, when some track days coming up? i want to go out and do some real riding, its been too long. i'll probably ride like a little girl. it would be fun.
Superb Tough Highest Performer Driven to Lifestyles Unimaginable
:domo: :domo: :domo:PHOTOBLARG! :domo: :domo: :domo:NEW EXCITING BLARG! :domo: :domo: :domo:
"thanks man, I didn't do it, but I'm a fan of apple penis" - <3 internet
darkducati
Purple Drank

Post by darkducati »

I think there is one about the beginning of August that we may do at Tally. We have a WERA event there mid August so we need some test time. We are pondering doing Roebling later this moth but I'm not sure. I'll let you know.
Beans and cornbread.
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

that sounds like a blast!

what are you doing rpm/speed-wise on the back-straight?
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

roebling would be dope.
please believe
darkducati
Purple Drank

Post by darkducati »

quazar311 wrote:that sounds like a blast!

what are you doing rpm/speed-wise on the back-straight?
I really have no idea but I would say about 140ish at about 8k rpm.
Beans and cornbread.
POOPscandal
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by POOPscandal »

when you get supersport track bike? awesome!

also for those track days, will i need to be safety wiring a bunch of stuff? and i'm assuming no antifreeze, just water + waterwetter? would there be room on your trailer for another bike perhaps? you'll need to show me the ropes, i've been to a track day, just didn't ride cause i was broke so i was the pit crew for my buddy.

p.s. we need to ride barber. holy shit. gorgeous.
:domo: :domo: :domo:PHOTOBLARG! :domo: :domo: :domo:NEW EXCITING BLARG! :domo: :domo: :domo:
darkducati
Purple Drank

Post by darkducati »

I got the Supersport a few days before Christmas. It has been a great bike and while it's not pretty it has two WERA National Championships in it's history and it is very sorted. I have receipts for over $4k in suspension work alone. It's lots of fun.

As far as prepping your bike it's no big deal. Just removing mirrors/turnsignals, tape up remaining lenses, and water/water wetter. That's it. I'm sure you'll do fine. Just run beginner and we'll hook you up with Ed Bargy for some lead/follow. Or we can tow you around if you want(not that I'm all that fast with my mighty 70WHP). The trailer is full but I'm sure we can stick it in the back of the truck. Barber is cool but it's bank to run there. We run half days at Tally from 12-5 for $75 which is cheeeeap! Crawl out of bed late and mozy over to the track, have a blast, and drive back home. All in less time than it takes to go to the mountains. Great place and very relaxed environment.
Beans and cornbread.
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Man I'm bummed I didn't make it up there. By the time I got my trailer fiasco settled at the storage place, it started to rain down here... so I wasn't sure if ya'll were still running. I definitely want to come see ya'll race. Lemmie know when the next event is!

P.S.
Ur sessy in ur suit.
POOPscandal
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by POOPscandal »

$75?!?!? holy shit, sign me up! i think i have a thing of watter wetter at my parent's house from when i was going to do a track day with my FOERST bike, but totalled it before i could go. all i really need is a way to get my bike down there. i'm actually thinking of getting a single bike trailer for the yaris, but i'm not sure how much that will be or when i can afford to get one.
darkducati
Purple Drank

Post by darkducati »

I'll let you know when we are going there again. I'm sure we can make room for you or find room in someone elses trailer. We'll get you out there.
Beans and cornbread.
blackmage1
Fresh Meat

Post by blackmage1 »

Sounds like a good weekend at the track.
hrm