I want to play with the big kids now too!

Post any and all car-related pictures here.

Moderators: charlie, CodyW, Rhoad Racing

PmartyX
Purple Drank

Re: I want to play with the big kids now too!

Post by PmartyX »

icantdrift wrote:
PmartyX wrote:Yea man, all the DE cars flat oilpans.

They were running dry sump systems which use a flat pan since the oil is stored in a tank, the pan is just deep enough for the pump to scavenge the oil. Mucho dinero though for the pan/pump/lines/tank.

Lol no they weren't. They were just running extra oil.
I am very safety driver!!!!!!!!!

"if you see team rowdy in anyone's sig, just don't even read the post. From my experience anything they've said to me was assholish and most of what i read is the same."
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

PmartyX wrote:
icantdrift wrote:

They were running dry sump systems which use a flat pan since the oil is stored in a tank, the pan is just deep enough for the pump to scavenge the oil. Mucho dinero though for the pan/pump/lines/tank.

There had to be some kind of sump to keep oil around the pickup or they would've had to keep so much oil in them they would've burned just as much oil as gas and revved slower than hell due to windage. Got any pics? I'm curious how ghetto it was now.
Yoshi
Clam Salesman

Post by Yoshi »

icantdrift wrote:
PmartyX wrote:
icantdrift wrote:

There had to be some kind of sump to keep oil around the pickup or they would've had to keep so much oil in them they would've burned just as much oil as gas and revved slower than hell due to windage. Got any pics? I'm curious how ghetto it was now.
This... Slightly curious myself... Also curious what they did with the oil filter deal.
-Bump steer makes driving more exciting.-
Josh of All Trades Blacksmithing
PmartyX
Purple Drank

Post by PmartyX »

Oil filter was in the stock location, with a custom welded aluminum flat pan. There were no dry sump tanks at all.

I am very safety driver!!!!!!!!!

"if you see team rowdy in anyone's sig, just don't even read the post. From my experience anything they've said to me was assholish and most of what i read is the same."
Yoshi
Clam Salesman

Post by Yoshi »

Interesting.

I will need to relocate the oil filther though because it hits the sway bar with the stock tiny oil filter.

I'm gonna dig into it over the break and see what I can do.

I'm going to try to run a front sump and run lines through the pan for the oil filter. I just need to see how it is set up. I'll pull the oil pan off this weekend if I make it up to Cookeville and start making plans.

I got ahold of a company that can cut header flanges for me and may be able to cut an intake flange if I can't get the stock manifold to do what I need it to.
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

That's a front sump welded to the stock pan setup. Basically it looks like the rear has been cut off and plate welded in to close it off, then the sump was created in the front and the pickup tube is rewelded to sit down in the new sump.
Yoshi
Clam Salesman

Post by Yoshi »

icantdrift wrote:That's a front sump welded to the stock pan setup. Basically it looks like the rear has been cut off and plate welded in to close it off, then the sump was created in the front and the pickup tube is rewelded to sit down in the new sump.
Yeah, that's what it looks like and will probably be what I do.
Yoshi
Clam Salesman

Post by Yoshi »

Well my welder and plasma cutter came in! One of the major selling points was that it came it a 110 adapter. When I took them over to the shop my buddy said lets just put in a 220 outlet. So we did. Then we made a giant 220 extension chord.

Sadly we couldn't get gas because the welding place in town is closed on weekends and I'm only here on weekends. So it will be about a week or so before I can get some gas and start messing with the TIG. The plasma cutter is set up ready to go though.

I took the thumb switch of the TIG torch because I don't like them. I prefer the control of the pedal more.

My "Electrician" works for beer

Yoshi
Clam Salesman

Post by Yoshi »

Well I did some work today. I had test fit the motor and found that the adapter plate hung too low and hit on my steering rack thus keeping me from lowering the motor and trans in as one unit. This would be a huge PITA. So I had to cut my adapter plate in order to clear the rack. This gave my little plasma cutter a work out but it worked like a charm. Once I got the plate cut, I painted it and put the trans back on the motor and was able to set the motor down in the bay, just about where I need it. Anyhow, here are some pictures:

The adapter plate cut, no worries I wasn't going to use those two holes any how.

The fit:

Almost flush with the trans

In the bay!

Trans tunnel clearance:

Trans

Shifter location, I need to cut that u joint off and 180 it:

Side view, can't even see the motor:

I'm going to try to pick up some material to do the mounts with tomorrow and see where I get.

I am also going to draw up the flange for the oil pan in auto cad and give it to a buddy of mine who says he can get me one cut... would be very convenient!

Getting there... slowly but surely.
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

Good progress man, looking nice!
siccccckkkkkkkk
Yoshi
Clam Salesman

Post by Yoshi »

Thanks man. I'm at a stand still until I get an alternator, ps pump and starter to make sure I put the motor in a good spot.
Yoshi
Clam Salesman

Post by Yoshi »

So I put a kitchen knife in my thumb the other day... turns out it was a bad idea... So I am currently waiting for this to heal so I can effectively use my left hand again...

Until that happens, I am painstakingly trying to locate the bolt holes of the vk oil pan so I can get a flange cut but it's proving to be a pain in the ass. Getting proper measurements off the pan is a pain. I'm going to work on a solution tomorrow though. We will see how it goes.

Drawing is only for the holes, the lines are there to get the x/y coordinates. They will be deleted once I have the holes in the right spot.
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

AHHHH! Dat thumb.
Yoshi
Clam Salesman

Post by Yoshi »

Yeah, it kinda sucks haha
blink182house
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by blink182house »

lurky lurk lurk... lurk.