Corolla discovery thread

Post any and all car-related pictures here.

Moderators: charlie, CodyW, Rhoad Racing

P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Re: Corolla discovery thread

Post by P.Haire »

Treefish wrote:
down_shift wrote:Where was this picture taken?
JOKES
please believe
Dr. Marlow
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Dr. Marlow »

yeah
You've got the wrong answer
Dr. Marlow
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Dr. Marlow »

yeah
You've got the wrong answer
foilman
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by foilman »

I found the coolest bit of Toyota tech today! How to set your AFM back to factory spec if somebody messed with the bypass screw.

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... bartid=270

I missed the last drift event because 2 days before I decided to tackle my car's high idle. Sometimes it was so high (1400+) it would hit fuel cut and was super annoying. I didn't bother before because the adjustment screw on the throttle body is blocked by the custom intake pipe used to convert from the FWD AE92 setup to RWD.

When I removed it so I could get to the adjustment screw and turn it into a bolt that I could reach from the side I found it wasn't even sealed to the throttle body. Just like a dozen other things on the car the bolts weren't even finger tight. Sweet, so I figured I solved the super high idle mostly from that. I made a gasket and by the time I got it all back together it was too late for a test drive and although the idle screw made a difference, it was still high. Oh well, I decided to let it be for now.

So the next morning Tuk and I try to hit the road but the car ran so bad, hesitating like it was super lean even with moderate acceleration. I pull over just blocks from the house and try re-routing vacuum lines since I had also changed those and reinstalled an evap canister, but nothing worked and I had to cancel.

Today I figured out what the fuck it was! None of that shit! I wasted hours today checking fuel pressure, exhausting my search for factory vacuum schematics, and half dozen other things when I realized that while taking that pipe off the other day I had also noticed the top of the ISC valve was loose, both screws missing from it... not the actual mounting to the intake, but its head/electronic part so I didn't think much of it. It's not like it could fall off, or air flowed through it, and the manual doesn't mention it being adjustable, so I just centered it and added a screw. Turns out it it was much happier being clocked to the left which brought the idle down a tad and suddenly the adjustment screws on the throttle body and AFM became 10 times more effective.

w00t!

Drove the car around and it was pretty good. Then I found that super cool link at the top to get the AFM back to where it should be so I'm going to put my wideband on it and dial it in tomorrow.
struka
Slippery When Westicles

Post by struka »

Good to hear!
revel
Eet Bacon

Post by revel »

NICE! might have to get you and your brain to help me figure out why my GZE likes to hesitate right as boost comes on under light throttle. if i am heavy footed it pours on no problem, but if driving casually it will hesitate until i give it a romp on the throttle. if i remember correctly it hasnt always done this. started when i changed to a slightly larger intercooler and slightly longer pipes. guess it could be that i am using the old settings on the SAFC. i am scared to touch that thing.
foilman
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by foilman »

Mine has a similar hesitation especially when cold, I'll let you know after I put my wideband on it. That got delayed because the bolts snapped/rounded when I tried to replace the stock o2 sensor.