Corolla discovery thread

Post any and all car-related pictures here.

Moderators: charlie, CodyW, Rhoad Racing

foilman
Not Really Past the Hazing

Re: Corolla discovery thread

Post by foilman »

Just jumper/ blink codes, not even sure if they had obd-1 yet. Although there is no "rediness code", the ecu still needs the engine up to temp and stuff before it detects codes according to the stuff online. I want to figure out just which version of GZE I have and get an FSM.
Last edited by foilman on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
revel
Eet Bacon

Post by revel »

If I were to take a guess I would say you have an MR2 GZE. The JDM AE101 GZE is MAP and am pretty sure the AW11 was MAF.

******Trying to find more info, but its hard finding specifics between the different GZE motors********
foilman

Post by foilman »

I downloaded an 87 MR2 FSM and everthing jives so far. One dicivery I didn't mention was how poorly the battery reloction had been done, and I made it temporarily worse by replacing the dead balttery with a smaller lawn battery with loosly stabbed on terminals. So I made it secure enough to drive around.

So I got a diagnostic code... :) TPS circuit fault. I hope that's all, will find out tomorrow.
FooSchnickens
Rock Smoke

Post by FooSchnickens »

TPS would definitely cause your hesitation/no power issues. Hope it's an easy fix. :slayer:
f00tography
In our minds. In our reality. In our world we are QUEEN DUCHESS TEAPOT HABERDASHERY!! RULER OF ALL!! PARTY OF ONE!!!
fooschnicks: totally oawesome
fooschnicks: whatever that means
gregthore: oaseome
gregthore: without me it's just oaweso
gregthore: Eugene has a meagan muff
foilman

Post by foilman »

Well the TPS ohmed out to spec and voltages seemed good, if high. Then I went about testing other things like the AFM and noticed that everything that was supposed to have a max of 5 or 6V was reading 8 instead. I checked the main grounds and found no loops, so decided I might have a bad ECU. Koopa was nice to come over the next day with his GZE car and his measured EXACTLY what the FSM spec'd. He also shuttled over some Celica wheels from Marlow with decent tires that should give me some much needed clearance.

In the process of pulling my ECU I discovered a reason my speedo might not work. Some of you might recognize a mechanical speedometer cable when you see one. For those that don't, I think you can imagine it doesn't belong by the blower on the passenger side. Let's just pretend somebody was REALLY anticipating a JDM RHD conversion.
speedocable.jpg
speedocable.jpg (121.65 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
I went to put my ECU on Koopa's car to test but it turns out he has a regular GE ECU with bigger injectors, fmu, different AFM etc; so he offered to take it on his way to KORU to test on Tyler's car. Tyler has a GZE ecu, but we found out it's not even the same connectors.

I talked to John at Garage Zero who I barely know but is a super nice guy and very helpful. It seems I have the less common early (88-89) AE92 setup, but he probably has an ECU I can test with. That's supper awesome because I opened it up tonight and found bad stuff. Did I mention I hooked up the new battery backwards and popped the main fuse before I bought the car? Hahahahaa

This poor diode is in the voltage supply circuit.
diode.jpg
diode.jpg (186.77 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
Underside of it, also notice the small trace near the middle of the pic that almost burned through.
burns.jpg
burns.jpg (242.17 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
Even if I hadn't popped it, here are some corroded transistors that need cleaned up.
transistors.jpg
transistors.jpg (156.75 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
I can probably fix this but will buy an ECU from GZero if I can due to time

Oh... I found the glass for the passenger mirror stashed in the driver's pocket :)

Here's a mystery for super electronic nerds. What is THIS thing. Has no markings other than the green stripe, just 2 pins. There is also one with a red stripe. They are labeled "J" which is normally a jumper but I've never seen one of these. I think the crustiness is just a poor quality casing.
JWhat.jpg
JWhat.jpg (123.22 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
foilman

Post by foilman »

Today I discovered a team of angry squirrels at the command of my right foot! That's right... I fixed the ECU!! Garage Zero didn't have an ECU compatible with my engine so I went to work on fixing my own. Fry's had the diode I needed but there was a capacitor I couldn't fully spec because it was so tiny. John had a scrap ECU for some other Toyota from which I salvaged a cap that looked the same.
The car needs a thermostat and idle adjustment but otherwise it fired right up and runs AWESOME!

I discovered I didn't have a rearview mirror LOL and tightened the alternator belt. Marlow helped me with some more wheels and mag style lug nuts which I'll try tomorrow so I won't scrub when doing a mild lane change or driving over a twig.

So excited again, will be ready for the 16th!
DJones

Post by DJones »

I'm looking forward to seeing this in action. Congrats!!
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

Bikes, Meat, Drama, Meat, Gossip, Meat, Metal, Meat, Buttsex, Meat, Family and some Drifting.
foilman

Post by foilman »

I would overdrift that car into the D-dimension.
kOOpA
Rock Smoke

Post by kOOpA »

AWESOME DUED! You actually fixed your ecu, hahaha, absolutely unheard of.

If you need burnoffs for the event, I have some Appliance Mesh wheels that I'm keeping for a future undecided oldschool build. They were on the rear of my miata for GGM2.

andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

I can tell by the pixels.
Greg wrote:Image
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

haha nice! merely a suggestion for Toners :wink:
Bikes, Meat, Drama, Meat, Gossip, Meat, Metal, Meat, Buttsex, Meat, Family and some Drifting.
foilman

Post by foilman »

The strut towers gave me a funny feeling but I was on my phone. I felt like I was typing "berry my dick" with my 1st response.
charlie
Eet Bacon

Post by charlie »

Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

charlie wrote:Image
yeah... my uncle gives you the thumbs up.