Fast Five

Competing in an event? Do you enjoy meat? Let everyone know about it here!

Moderators: charlie, andysapp, CodyW, Rhoad Racing

Pittsy
Rock Smoke

Fast Five

Post by Pittsy »

Opening day is April 29th. We gunna do this?

[html]<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D6auc_mo6AA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/html]
"Too poor for the DM RBO Elite, but they let me tag along anyway."
John Lennon wrote:I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me.
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Re: Fast Five

Post by down_shift »

keep the date open. there is something being planned ;)
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Holy shit... I didn't realize it was that soon!
FUCKING INNNNN.

I'm totally serious when I say this movie looks really awesome.
I'm stokkkkkkked.
Treefish
Purple Drank

Fast Five

Post by Treefish »

Totally in.
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

does anyone else find it ironic that this advertisement has an advertisement?

ironic or rediculous, i get those two confused some times.

one of my professors thinks its a good idea to have direct links to purchase products featured during television shows. like you're watching one of those crime dramas and the main character puts on his ray bans. at that moment you're give then option to push a button and your internet television automatically goes to the ray ban website where you can buy those exact glasses. she thinks it's a good idea because people don't watch commercials anymore. i think it's stupid because people don't want to spend a minute thirty watching commercials in the middle of their stories what makes you think they will want to spend a minute thirty buying sunglasses online? also what writer in their right mind wants the audience to stop paying attention so they can go buy sunglasses. it's hard enough to keep the audiences attention. what if they option comes up right before the punch line of a joke and some tard head pauses the show to buy a pepsi only to come back to a missed punchline because he forgot the setup. i'm assuming he forgets because his attention span is so short that he see a pepsi ad and forgets the show and thinks man i'm thirsty imma get that fo sho.

but i digress.
please believe
ChadMK4
Purple Drank

Post by ChadMK4 »

I would assume that he's talking about pausing the show live as you're watching it and then a screen would pop up asking if you're interested in some of the items on the screen and then offer you the option to go directly to that items website in another window/tab. Once you're done you could resume the show where you left off or rewind, fast forward or what not to get to what ever you want.
I think it's a great idea! The producers would get great incentives to put those products into their shows and spend a little more time flashing the badge of the product. (I know they're already doing this on other levels. Just not completely in this fashion.)
I"m sure that if it got to where the products were spending to much time on the screen that the show might start loosing some of the following. So they'd have to gauge what is the appropriate amount of in-show advertising they were doing to keep the audience and appease the sponsors at the same time.
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

so you would completely interrupt your viewing experience just to buy something?
please believe
charlie
Eet Bacon

Post by charlie »

This sounds like the kind of dumbass shit that marketers convince themselves that people would actually be interested in. It's wishful thinking at best, and idiotic at worst. There's no way that the actual interest in this would ever justify the infrastructure change necessary to make it happen. It's a pipe dream and your professor is stupid.
[html]<object data="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" style="outline:none;" width="512" height="44" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param value="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" name="movie"/><param value="always" name="AllowScriptAccess"/><param value="opaque" name="wmode"/><param value="noscale" name="scale"/><param value="tl" name="salign"/></object><BR>
[/html]K-TO-THE-MOTHERFUCKIN-OI! OI! OI!
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

I prefer the Truman Show Catalogue.
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

charlie wrote:This sounds like the kind of dumbass shit that marketers convince themselves that people would actually be interested in. It's wishful thinking at best, and idiotic at worst. There's no way that the actual interest in this would ever justify the infrastructure change necessary to make it happen. It's a pipe dream and your professor is stupid.
My feelings exactly. Banner and pop up ads on website are pretty ineffective currently and this is basically the same thing. Internet TVs are already being sold and have the capability to do that kinda thing.
please believe
ChadMK4
Purple Drank

Post by ChadMK4 »

I'm going to disagree with you two and still say that I think its a pretty good idea. By pausing the show you've only delayed your show. If someone wants something like that I'd say that they'd be willing to pause the show to go get it and then continue their show.

It probably will not take off. But it doesn't change the fact that I still think it's a pretty good idea.

Question: Would you be willing to see more in-show adverts and less commercial breaks or keep it like it is? The way it is now, they have to cut out a lot of movies when showing them on prime time TV to make up for the commercial breaks. I hate missing parts of the movie because I "had" to see a commercial on Erectile Disfunction.
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

I fkn hate advertising. And that is basically how I make a living, which is TOTALLY fucking sad.
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

andysapp wrote:I fkn hate advertising. And that is basically how I make a living, which is TOTALLY fucking sad.
maybe you hate it because you know how much better it could be. I get pissed at shitty lowest common denominator ads all the time.
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

andysapp wrote:I fkn hate advertising. And that is basically how I make a living, which is TOTALLY fucking sad.

i hear ya. hopefully in my future i'll be involved with good advertising.
please believe
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

I think I'm just pissed that instead of making quality products that people can really benefit from buying, people make shit... and spend their money on advertising and marketing that shit to people that don't need it. And most of the time, the advertising works because people waste their money on it, so then the powers-that-be say "oh, hey that really worked for us... let's do more of that". The companies are essentially rewarded for this behavior, and so the cycle continues.

I also hate that advertising is SOOOOOOO oversaturated EVERYWHERE you look... and everyone is always looking for that new way to stand out from all the other bullshit advertising everywhere. I mean... where does it end? Tattoo babies foreheads when they are born? Genetically modify your retina so it always has a ghosted logo of some major corporation with everything you see? How about little sponge capsules in the food, so when you take a shit, a little sponge McDonalds logo hatches and appears in your toilet? Extreme, I know... but seriously... what don't we try to put ads on?

I used to really love advertising. I remember when it was a respectable profession that really felt like it had a value to society. But I loathe what it has become, and see it more as harmful than beneficial most of the time. Don't get me wrong... I do still love it... just not in the same way. In a very minimal, borderline nostalgic way.

I'm also a jaded ol' fuck, who sees how companies have greatly profited from MY personal work for them, and see how I am totally fucking broke... and I am extremely bitter/angry about it.
[/soapbox]