An idea I'm playing wtih...ultimate mountain meet/birthday

Competing in an event? Do you enjoy meat? Let everyone know about it here!

Moderators: charlie, andysapp, CodyW, Rhoad Racing

jo
Not Really Past the Hazing

An idea I'm playing wtih...ultimate mountain meet/birthday

Post by jo »

Well it usually never fails that my birthday blows every single year. This past year especially with trying to graduate from college and move to Atlanta on the day of my birthday and the two days after. I want to make 24 a memorable and fun [for once] birthday.... so I've been doing a bit of thinking.

I'd like to get some people together [you people, obviously!] and rent a cabin for a weekend up in the mountains near the Dragon in NC [it's not very far from here]. For those of you that don't know the dragon, it's over 317 turns in just 11 miles! hellllllo mountain run! I figured it'd be fun to do some runs during the day [or at night if you aren't skirrrred] and chill at night. Even if you don't want to run your car on the dragon [FF people may or may not want to! I know jason could probably rock it no bumpers steez;] it would still be fun to come up and chill.

Technically my birthday is July 30th which is on a weekend, which is probably the weekend I'd shoot for. Maybe leave early Friday afternoon and head back Sunday evening. Just a thought, though... if that weekend didn't work maybe we could switch to another one [I'm busy the weekend before that, though!]. Would any of you be down for that? Or should I confine myself to the strip clubs and bars here in ATL for the two four instead?:P
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

i'd be down for that (although strip clubs and bars are also a winner in my book, so you can't go wrong either way :) ).
not sure about any plans i'd have that far off, but nothing comes to mind right away so i'm pretty sure i could go. hopefully my car will be running again by then too so i can take it, but if not i'll just ride along with someone.
Rhoad Racing
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Rhoad Racing »

^ that makes two of us. perhaps by then I'll could atleast have the KA up and running again.
And I am in dyer need of a vacation, so that would be the perfect time to let loose and have some fun. I didn't have anything planned for that weekend (that I could think of right this minute), but I do now :D
djdorifto
Clam Salesman

Post by djdorifto »

wow Dragon Pass, I seen the top down picture of it on a Motorcycle Website, sounds fuckin dick thou.
darkducati
Purple Drank

Post by darkducati »

I'm up for it. Although I will say, jason will probably kick some tail on that road. Maybe I can have the MR2 done by then, it is MADE for that road. It is REALLY tight and can be intimidating for some(there are some dropoffs without gaurdrails of any sort). That weekend would be an awesome date though because my wifes birthday is the 25th.
Beans and cornbread.
jo

Post by jo »

Ok awesome:) I'm glad there are some interested people. I'm going to talk to my friend Dan on Thursday about the cabin situation. He is at the dragon right now for a week for the NASIOC dragon run, so he will know the spots and prices. I know we could camp out, but I do enjoy a hot shower and running water so I'd rather get a cabin;)
valoce
Fresh Meat

Post by valoce »

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum as well as drifting. The dragon is a Super idea. I will be there(Franklin, NC) September 9th-18th. I will be towing my motorcycle to try out the car and the bike, but I wish I could make it in July as well.
jo

Post by jo »

Hey valoce! and welcome! What kind of bike are you bringing up there? And what kind of car, too! I noticed you're from naples-- how did you stumble upon us? [I ask lots of questions, sorry!]
dlowman
Fresh Meat

Post by dlowman »

If your serious about going. A few things you need to know and check out.

1. The traffic on the weekends is just dick, don't expect to have too much fun on the dragon. Just a lot of driving. At night your really taking your chances since you can't see crap lol. There are no straight aways on the dragon. The worst part of the dragon are the decreasing radius turns.. I.E. you start out at one turning radius and then the damn thing sharpens on you more.

2. Places to go http://www.fontanavillage.com is the place to stay. They offer free bombfires at night at around 8:30. There is one gas station there open 9 to 5. After that your crap out of luck and about 25 miles to the nearest one except for the one at the bottom of the dragon.

3. Websites for driving in that area is http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

4. Some highlights:
Just minutes from Robbinsville, North Carolina, you'll find the Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap. With 318 curves in just 11 miles it is a true test for your technical cycle skills.

CHEROHALA SKYWAY INFO
The Cherohala Skyway is only 12 miles from Robbinsville. This roadway has many long sweeping curves in its 40 miles from Robbinsville, North Carolina to Tellico Plains, Tennessee. Reaching altitudes above 5,300 feet it is the perfect place to cool down in the heat of the summer. Traffic is usually sparse with a large percentage of motorcycles. This is one smooth cycle/sports car road .... don't miss it. Combine both the Skyway and the Dragon in one epic, 130 mile loop.

5. There are plenty of gravel roads to play on if you do not value the paint job on your car. If you go on these just make sure to disable your ABS braking system. Your car will think your on ice and will not stop if you don't.

See ya!
Dan
speedminded
Fresh Meat

Post by speedminded »

dlowman wrote:They offer free bombfires at night at around 8:30.
Whoa bombfires?! Sounds like something an EVO and 7 would be doing :wink: btw, it's bonfire

I might be up for it, I must get tires FOERST, oh yeah...a new job would be good too.

The vice president of my company is a kart racer...I wonder if we could rent/borrow a couple....i guarantee you cops would never catch you on one...his son is 11 and was hitting 87-91 in the back stretch at Road Atlanta and he was doing right at 100 in his....The 250 shifters were like 110-115mph or so.
Drift_Supra
Fresh Meat

Post by Drift_Supra »

I doubt i would be able to go. that is really close to the end of the summer semester here at tech, so it will br pretty hectic for me. if it was a few weekends afterwards, I could do it.
........powersliding and doing a donut ISN'T drifting!
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

valoce wrote:Hello everyone, I am new to the forum as well as drifting. The dragon is a Super idea. I will be there(Franklin, NC) September 9th-18th. I will be towing my motorcycle to try out the car and the bike, but I wish I could make it in July as well.
Hey Valoce...
I didn't see your post tucked away in this thread...
but I just wanted to WELCOME you to the forum!!!

Hope to see you out there in July!