Dumb idea or best idea ever?

Competing in an event? Do you enjoy meat? Let everyone know about it here!

Moderators: charlie, andysapp, CodyW, Rhoad Racing

The idea, it is

Heinous
25%
Awesome
75%

Total votes: 8

jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Dumb idea or best idea ever?

Post by jsquared »

I have thought about this before but have not really worked out all of the logistics yet. Still, on paper it looks like it might work!

Buy a beater S13. Standard gut, tune up, struts/springs, race seat, welded diff treatment. Offer this car for rent at sanctioned drift events for $2-300 per driver, one driver per run group. Offer one set of tires per driver included, or add additional cost for tires. Fuel is included. Also, charge an additional $30-50 per driver if they want to carry passengers in their runs.

You would make your money back in 2 events maximum, maybe just one if you got the car and parts for a good deal. Require a $500 deposit per driver, and do a standard liability waiver and release for event entry fees if the car is inoperable at any point for any reason.

There are a ton of risks, but the biggies:

- Someone kills themselves/someone else in your car. You go to jail.

- Car gets totaled and no one that day can drive in their groups. Entry fees are not refundable.

- Failure of critical part/s and no facilities to fix it (blown motor, blown tranny, etc). I wouldnt think you could yank a deposit for a blown KA, at least not if it wasnt blatant.

- $300 x 3 drivers x 1 event per month = $1000 TOPS, with other fees. Not exactly ballin. Costs/Time working on car not worth the investment.

I think the biggest issue (aside from jail) is the cost/benefit analysis problem. You would have to have at least 3 cars at each event to make it worth the time and money I think, and that means a LOT of time working on the cars each month. You also have to worry about transporting the cars there, storing them between events, maintaining spare parts for three vehicles and bringing them to events, and keeping up with three drivers and their needs throughout the day.

Soooo, probably a dumb idea, but I think it could work with the right person behind it. Discuss.
siccccckkkkkkkk
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

That's how a lot of the SCCA teams got huge. Track rentals.
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

Do you know their pricing breakdown at all, as far as rental fees and deposits go?
siccccckkkkkkkk
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

get a lawyer, get a good contract written out, get a business license, get to work. you probably won't make your money back as fast as you think but it sounds like a good enough idear.
please believe
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

I'm with Patrick... I think it sounds like a rad idea. With some of the kinks worked out, I think it can work. You definitely need a lawyer's help for sure.
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

Well.. I believe that there is just a rental fee for the cars.. and then surcharges for maintenance and extended usage. As far as tires and etc go.. that is part of the rental per event .. you get so many tires yada yada.

Deposits are not needed as you pay upfront for that rental before the event and if the car is a DOA you get it back.

However if the car gets wrecked during the event or engine dies, there is no refund if you are a driver that is sharing the car. Just part of racing. Abuse is subject to a whole other ball game so I guess the deposit is a good idea. However, you need to be VERY generous with the deposit... like if the motor blows up because of age, worn out... you should give them their money back.

The driver has to pay for the entry fees and whatever associated fees with the event for the car, crew, etc.
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

Oh yes a lawyer would be on speed dial for sure lol.
siccccckkkkkkkk
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

quazar311 wrote:Well.. I believe that there is just a rental fee for the cars.. and then surcharges for maintenance and extended usage. As far as tires and etc go.. that is part of the rental per event .. you get so many tires yada yada.

Deposits are not needed as you pay upfront for that rental before the event and if the car is a DOA you get it back.

However if the car gets wrecked during the event or engine dies, there is no refund if you are a driver that is sharing the car. Just part of racing. Abuse is subject to a whole other ball game so I guess the deposit is a good idea. However, you need to be VERY generous with the deposit... like if the motor blows up because of age, worn out... you should give them their money back.

The driver has to pay for the entry fees and whatever associated fees with the event for the car, crew, etc.
This sounds just about right on. Someone should do this, I wish I didnt work full time! I should quit my job during the summers and slang whips instead.
siccccckkkkkkkk
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

Here's another caveat.. in order to truly make good money doing this and being able to charge good money. The car has to be top notch.

So like a ratty KAS13 that has a welded diff with springs/struts might only fetch like $200-300 tops per event while a fully prepped car might get easily double that and maybe more if it's a competition and there are people serious enough to rent it.

That's how a lot of roadracing teams help fund the enduro weekend is to have the best drivers pilot the FOERST string cars while the backup car and second string cars are rented out.
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

ya thats a really good point, probably something you could think about after some more revenue comes in and the "business" becomes profitable.
siccccckkkkkkkk
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

most of this rental car "job" would be planning/scheduling, budgeting, and paperwork. you probably don't want to hear this but your best bet would be to partner up with a reputable shop in the area. you have a contract with them for maintenance, transportation, and storage. you would basically be an account rep. you take care of the customers they take care of the car(s). you could set up a "book" rate for everything from changing clutches to engines to tires. this will give you "wholesale" pricing for wear items and you would never have to worry about swapping an engine in your driveway the night before an event. your cash flow would be simplified this way as well.

rspeed would be perfect for this if they had a truck and trailer, tiger would be perfect if they had more room for storage, drift emporium might be worth talking to.

start small with one car, once things get organized and running smooth add an instructor, then add another car. if a business isn't growing it's dying. if you're too busy you're not charging enough. if you want anymore ideas or whatever keep this thread alive.
please believe
bradystrib
Man of Action

Post by bradystrib »

dadams would rent and claim you as a sponsorino. But if you're serious i have a 13 hatch that i wouldnt mind renting out :D
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

Great ideas for sure, thanks man. Especially the bit about hiring an instructor after things move along a bit.
siccccckkkkkkkk
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

bradystrib wrote:dadams would rent and claim you as a sponsorino. But if you're serious i have a 13 hatch that i wouldnt mind renting out :D
QFT
HATERDAN
Purple Drank

Post by HATERDAN »

clubloose has the mule s13 we've been doing it forever

also it has a cage an sr with a front mount and its really fast
-dan