1/16-Creekside Shooting Range-Tactical Rifle Match

Competing in an event? Do you enjoy meat? Let everyone know about it here!

Moderators: charlie, andysapp, CodyW, Rhoad Racing

CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Re: 1/16-Creekside Shooting Range-Tactical Rifle Match

Post by CodyW »

PS, the most successful sniper in WW2 was a Finnish guy using a M91/30 Mosin Nagant with factory iron sights, no scope or anything (he's credited with over 700 kills). There's proof that we don't need any fancy guns, haha :).

edit: just saw on wiki that he has the most kills in any war ever, wow. Wish I could shoot like that at all, much less with plain old irons. Impressive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

jsquared wrote:I cant imagine hitting a 4 MOA target at 600 meters, thats just nuts. With a .308 and 10mph crosswind youre looking at 30-35 inches of drift.
Yea, that sounds crazy. I watched like 4 hours of some sniper show on the Military channel the other week and got all motivated to learn stuff like this, still seems crazy difficult though. We should practice and try to enter that thing next year or something, haha.
collink
OK Finally Past the Hazing

Post by collink »

Not to mention the sub-MOA targets probably around 100 yds. That shit is nuts!

Edit: In doing some further reading, the 4 MOA targets will probably be up around the 100 yd line. That should give you a 4" target. The 1 MOA and sub-MOA will probably be back a lot further. 1 MOA at 600 yds is a 6" target...very challenging...
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

Ohh, right, I forget MOA is relative to distance, not size of the target. The furthest I have ever shot is 300m and that was a challenge, then again I was using a 40 year old A2 with iron sights and a 1/8" gap between the receivers :)
siccccckkkkkkkk
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

Sooooooo, I decided this wasnt worth the ammo cost and time, gotta save the endz for New Orleans. Maybe next time.
siccccckkkkkkkk