2010 SED Suggestion Box

Competing in an event? Do you enjoy meat? Let everyone know about it here!

Moderators: charlie, andysapp, CodyW, Rhoad Racing

P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Re: 2010 SED Suggestion Box

Post by P.Haire »

DJones wrote:I really :heartbeat: GMP. I can't wait to go back there. As for practice events, I don't think I'll be doing too many this year. The car's almost were it needs to be. It's time for some comps, and some traveling.
that is really exciting. might i suggest to you; new jersey, ohio, virginia, blackwater, and if they are doing d1 usa again you should go to one.
please believe
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

haven't really seen this discussed, but how about some events based solely around learning? basically like a private day where they can get good back to back runs in, but with an instructor the entire time. i think a lot of people out there could benefit highly from some good instruction but are afraid to ask for it/accept it when offered.

while i disagree with byron about having to have SA helmets, i think a full face helmet is a must. these guys with the little chopper brain buckets are going to hurt themselves with the slightest problem on track.

other than that, it would be nice to see new and exciting venues; especially roadcourses or at least larger slabs where high speed courses could be set up.
matts13
OK Finally Past the Hazing

Post by matts13 »

icantdrift wrote:
while i disagree with byron about having to have SA helmets, i think a full face helmet is a must. these guys with the little chopper brain buckets are going to hurt themselves with the slightest problem on track.

i agree with this, i hate the brain bucket fake helmets. but when dot is allowed those are dot. so sa/sm is a easy way of stopping that. but for atleast tandem when you have to wear a fire suit you should have to wear a sa helmet.

also a real rule book from nasa/usdrift would be great.
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

I based off this for multiple impacts not the fire resistance.
SMF.org wrote:What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?
The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting.

There are three major differences between them:
The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi impact test while M standard does not.
but I agree the core reason for a move to closed face or at least a more discerning standard for DOT helmets would be good. not to increase the money to participate but to increase safety. I personally plan on getting an SA because I plan to do other events this year that do require it.
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

safety is priceless.
Bikes, Meat, Drama, Meat, Gossip, Meat, Metal, Meat, Buttsex, Meat, Family and some Drifting.
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

matts13 wrote:
icantdrift wrote:
i agree with this, i hate the brain bucket fake helmets. but when dot is allowed those are dot. so sa/sm is a easy way of stopping that. but for atleast tandem when you have to wear a fire suit you should have to wear a sa helmet.
I also agree with the helmet issue. Those brain buckets look about as safe as tin foil to me.
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

safety is no accident.
please believe
foilman
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by foilman »

down_shift wrote:I based off this for multiple impacts not the fire resistance.
The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting.

The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi impact test while M standard does not.
That is true, can't really argue with it, but in the big picture the rollbar testing is easy to pass. The "rollbar multi impact" above has been misinterpreted and spread around the net as "SA are tested for multiple impacts and M are not." I've read the testing procedures and they are all subjected to 5 other impacts. The edge anvil is most likely to penetrate the helmet and fail it for breaking, and the flat anvil is most likely to fail it for excessive Gs.

I doubt helmets are ONLY failing the rollbar anvil and bet M helmets would pass it just as easily.

I totally agree that DOT only helmets are right out. I did not let Emmerson run at DG events with it.
Last edited by foilman on Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

suggestion for 2010. let team rowdy oversee an event. it needs to be a comp. we design the course, we run the driver's meeting, we set the judging criteria, we judge, SED staff does what SED staff usually does.
please believe
Roadkill
Ripe Meat

Post by Roadkill »

P.Haire wrote:suggestion for 2010. let team rowdy oversee an event. it needs to be a comp. we design the course, we run the driver's meeting, we set the judging criteria, we judge, SED staff does what SED staff usually does.
This can be done!
We would need 100% pre registration and minimum amount of drivers met.
P.Haire wrote:safety is no accident.
foilman wrote:
down_shift wrote:I based off this for multiple impacts not the fire resistance.

That is true, can't really argue with it, but in the big picture the rollbar testing is easy to pass. The "rollbar multi impact" above has been misinterpreted and spread around the net as "SA are tested for multiple impacts and M are not." I've read the testing procedures and they are all subjected to 5 other impacts. The edge anvil is most likely to penetrate the helmet and fail it for breaking, and the flat anvil is most likely to fail it for excessive Gs.

I doubt helmets are ONLY failing the rollbar anvil and bet M helmets would pass it just as easily.

I totally agree that DOT only helmets are right out. I did not let Emmerson run at DG events with it.
Right, but whats the point of wearing a fire suit if your helmet is going to melt on your head.
I think Open Face helmets should not be allowed Period.
Tires, Smoke em if you got em!
revel
Eet Bacon

Post by revel »

Roadkill wrote: Right, but whats the point of wearing a fire suit if your helmet is going to melt on your head.
what about SA2005 open face bell helmet? for a passenger (not during tandem obviously)?
foilman

Post by foilman »

Roadkill wrote: Right, but whats the point of wearing a fire suit if your helmet is going to melt on your head.
Erm, hmmm... there's no blood to quench the flames? :P

I mean, this was with respect to single drivers, not tandem guys that are required to have a suit and fire resistant helmet.
DJones

Post by DJones »

I need a new helmet. Mine smells
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

DJones wrote:I need a new helmet. Mine smells too much like awesome
JJ Alfano
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by JJ Alfano »

Quick question about helmets, I see some people wearing motocross helmets... are those legal, or does new zealand just not care? Ive seen mad mike busting out 4th gear in his rx7 with what looks like a flimsy bmx helmet and i wondered about that..