2010 SED Suggestion Box

Competing in an event? Do you enjoy meat? Let everyone know about it here!

Moderators: charlie, andysapp, CodyW, Rhoad Racing

ChadMK4
Purple Drank

Re: 2010 SED Suggestion Box

Post by ChadMK4 »

The only complaint I've heard was the lack of seat time due to 50-60 drivers at the Turner events. Maybe go back to 40 drivers and raise the cost a little to cover the loss. This way people can get 30 plus runs again.
kOOpA
Rock Smoke

Post by kOOpA »

with the amount of people that show up at some events, it seems like you may be able to run multiple events in a month, and lower the driver cap for each. i'm not sure how much you'd have to adjust the price to make this cost-effective, but i know i'd pay more to get more runs in.

i had a really hard time getting in more than 15-20 runs at an event in 2009, whereas in 2008 and earlier i could barely move my arms after several events. i'd have to say SEDA events are the most efficiently run that i've been to, but when there's a billion people running, it kinda kills driving time.

not to say this just happens at SEDA, it's just as crowded almost everywhere i've been. i guess drifting is getting too popular, maybe we need to start seeing us drift parks ^^
ChadMK4
Purple Drank

Post by ChadMK4 »

When Chris and I use to run events we'd have a driver cap of 40 for most events and if you didn't get 30 plus runs then you missed one of your run groups. We also had the start gate to send cars as soon as possible one right after the other so as to push as many cars through in a day as possible. We started pretty close to "on time" and didn't stop for lunch breaks and tried to keep the track "hot" as often as possible.
Roadkill
Ripe Meat

Post by Roadkill »

Many, Many, Many, Many, good suggestions, Thanks. I asked the same questions on Southeastfrift and 240Atlanta. SED had some good suggs. 240 Atl wanted to talk about boobies ( seriously ).

Thank you for the well thought out answers and constructive suggestions for 2010.
Tires, Smoke em if you got em!
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

kOOpA wrote:with the amount of people that show up at some events, it seems like you may be able to run multiple events in a month, and lower the driver cap for each. i'm not sure how much you'd have to adjust the price to make this cost-effective, but i know i'd pay more to get more runs in.

i had a really hard time getting in more than 15-20 runs at an event in 2009, whereas in 2008 and earlier i could barely move my arms after several events. i'd have to say SEDA events are the most efficiently run that i've been to, but when there's a billion people running, it kinda kills driving time.

not to say this just happens at SEDA, it's just as crowded almost everywhere i've been. i guess drifting is getting too popular, maybe we need to start seeing us drift parks ^^
what if you took it a step further and have beginner events and advanced events. like an event that focuses on learning basics and has a simple setup and lots of instructors and then an event that focuses on higher speeds and tandem or comps. word.
please believe
revel
Eet Bacon

Post by revel »

icantdrift wrote:haven't really seen this discussed, but how about some events based solely around learning? basically like a private day where they can get good back to back runs in, but with an instructor the entire time. i think a lot of people out there could benefit highly from some good instruction but are afraid to ask for it/accept it when offered.
this! i would come to these. can always learn more. especially if i can get tony or dennis for a few back to back laps.
kOOpA
Rock Smoke

Post by kOOpA »

P.Haire wrote:what if you took it a step further and have beginner events and advanced events. like an event that focuses on learning basics and has a simple setup and lots of instructors and then an event that focuses on higher speeds and tandem or comps. word.
that's not a bad idea. right now i'm pretty comfortable with my driving, like, of course i'm trying to learn new stuff, but mostly i'm just screwing around having fun. but i can imagine it possibly being more aggravating for a dude that's 100% there for learning to have to watch people drive for an hour or whatever at the end of the day, when's he's dying to get more runs in. if it was a beginner event, he'd get more runs, and not be sour because "if only those damn caged drivers didn't have competition, he woulda finally nailed that fakie hook slide revert".
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

Just curious, but how do tandem run groups work for SED events?

Lets say you have two groups, Group A and Group T. Group A has 10 cars and Group T has 10 cars.

Group A cars get 5 runs each, for a total of 50 runs. Since Group T has two cars per run, would they get 20 runs (100 total), or still only 10 (50 total)?
siccccckkkkkkkk
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

I want to say that they get the same amount of track time but yes in some cases they do get additional runs per car due to them going 2 and 3 deep. I've viewed the T groups possibly getting more runs as an incentive to practice more and build a car to spec to participate.
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

For people that arent interested in tandem, or dont have the money to build a dedicated track car, I think beginner and advanced events makes sense. More seat time for everyone and less disdain towards what people might consider favoritism for tandem drivers/other non-newbs.
siccccckkkkkkkk
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

with a novice event only that would also ensure you'd have plenty of advanced guys standing around instructing. like 1 on 1 all day, switching instructors as the day progresses. J turns -> donuts-> figure 8's -> manji/transition layout -> regular type course.
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

Thats totally true, didnt even think about that. Most times at events driving takes up your entire day, no time to help others or ride along with anyone.
siccccckkkkkkkk
Roadkill
Ripe Meat

Post by Roadkill »

down_shift wrote:I want to say that they get the same amount of track time but yes in some cases they do get additional runs per car due to them going 2 and 3 deep. I've viewed the T groups possibly getting more runs as an incentive to practice more and build a car to spec to participate.
The Tandem will usually get a few extra runs due to the fact that they run through at a much faster speed and don't spin as much. Tandem can run through 7 times in less time than a single group running through 4 times.
They get some perks because they bring in the spectators. Spectators paying at the gate cuts the cost for the drivers. It's a win win situation.
Lightning
OK Finally Past the Hazing

Post by Lightning »

is there a kinda "tenative" schedule for 2010 yet?

collink wrote:*gibberish*
Colin, there's some things you just DON't need to say out loud.
unhinged......no, not really.
Roadkill
Ripe Meat

Post by Roadkill »

Lightning wrote:is there a kinda "tenative" schedule for 2010 yet?
Yes but the dates have not been approved by the venues yet.