Diff ID help?

Tech mumbo-jumbo... not Gizmodo.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati

CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Diff ID help?

Post by CodyW »

Kinda random, but some of the customer service dudes here at work (the Jeep parts place) needed help ID'ing a diff and I thought I'd see if any of you guys had any ideas...

Basically, my parent company bought Precision Gear a few years back and inherited a handfull of old parts that no one here really knows about. Apparently, there was one 240SX application, but no one here knows specifically what model/rear end it's for. The old, out of date Precision Site (http://www.precisiongear.com/powerbrute.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) just says it's for a 240SX w/8 bolt ring gear, but I have no idea if that's S13/S14/who knows what else since all of the Nissan stuff seems to be somewhat interchangeable. There's one dude from Canada that supposedly wants to buy it but he's worried about it fitting and wanted them to try to confirm it, so they asked me (and I'm of pretty much no help).

Here are a few pics too, not sure if they'd do any good.

Sorry for the lack of information, but any help would be appreciated!

Thanks dudes!
foilman
Not Really Past the Hazing

Re: Diff ID help?

Post by foilman »

I've never seen or heard of an 8 bolt diff for a 240, they are all 10 as far as I know... open, viscous, S13, S14, even the helical S15 one I have. [edit]
I did some digging and it seems the early JDM S13's used the smaller R180 diff instead of the R200 we got... probably the ones that also had a CA18.
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

Ahh, ok! I'll pass that along to them, thanks a ton for the help!
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

Tony is correct, there were some early s13's that used an R180 which has the 8 bolt ring gear.