Steering wheel quick release, what do I need?

Tech mumbo-jumbo... not Gizmodo.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati

Ted J
Fresh Meat

Steering wheel quick release, what do I need?

Post by Ted J »

I'm a little confused here. I've got a S13 and I want to put a quick release hub on. What is confusing me is can I buy just a quick release hub that I attach the steering wheel too or do I need to get a steering wheel hub and then a quick release hub as well?

Also, what's a good resonably priced steering wheel and quick release hub combo you guys would recommend?

Thanks!
Ted

Project 346SX - In the works, Twin cam KA24 has been taken out, Single cam "KA24 to the power of 2" LS1 transplanted in!!

Video of some 0-60-0 Runs of the car at the Year One Experience '07
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

don't scrimp on the steering wheel, hub or quick release. cheap ones will get you in trouble.
Bikes, Meat, Drama, Meat, Gossip, Meat, Metal, Meat, Buttsex, Meat, Family and some Drifting.
Ted J
Fresh Meat

Post by Ted J »

Maudite wrote:don't scrimp on the steering wheel, hub or quick release. cheap ones will get you in trouble.
That was my thoughts considering it steers the car and all. Hence why I wanted to find the best one I could for a resonable price. The thing is, don't really know what I need to buy so was hoping somebody could explain to me what it is that I need and a combo that is tried and true and works but isn't like some crazy $300 or $400 setup but I also don't want to buy some $25 ebay stuff for it's my life in my hands.
Ted

Project 346SX - In the works, Twin cam KA24 has been taken out, Single cam "KA24 to the power of 2" LS1 transplanted in!!

kOOpA
Rock Smoke

Post by kOOpA »

you need a wheel, a hub, and a quick release.

if you're worried about getting cheap shit, just don't buy anything off of ebay, try to find a group buy, or something used.
Ted J
Fresh Meat

Post by Ted J »

kOOpA wrote:you need a wheel, a hub, and a quick release.

if you're worried about getting cheap shit, just don't buy anything off of ebay, try to find a group buy, or something used.
Thanks for the info.

Thinking of getting either a MOMO or a Sparco hub. Are both of them good brands?

I found a Circuit Sport quick release on Enjuku's site for $65. Seems from past experence Enjuku's always sold me good stuff so I'm guessing they are good, anybody have any experience with them?

In regards to steering wheels, can anybody tell me why they are so expensive? Was thinking of going the cheaper route on the steering wheel for now for I don't know what size I want just yet for I figured the steering wheel should be pretty straight forward and I've seen some people on the net use ebay type steering wheels and they said they work just fine.
Ted

andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

I have a Momo hub, and a Sparco wheel.
They are both way awesome.
Ted J
Fresh Meat

Post by Ted J »

andysapp wrote:I have a Momo hub, and a Sparco wheel.
They are both way awesome.
What diameter of wheel do you have? Just getting an idea if a smaller wheel is better or not? Sorry, when it comes to steering wheels I'm big time newb! :?: Was thinking of a smaller steering wheel for then it might allow me a little more leg room for the bolt in cage won't allow me to move the seat back like putting a custom cage in would.

Also, hoping this is the real deal and a MOMO hub and not some knock off:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0321077880
Ted

revel
Eet Bacon

Post by revel »

i got my momo hub thru LTB as well. good people. good hub. make sure its the newest circuit sports quik release. on their old ones you have to mash the button to both remove and put on. gets annoying after a week. if that doesnt bother you then rock it. believe nrg and megan make respectable quik releases.
Ted J
Fresh Meat

Post by Ted J »

revel wrote:i got my momo hub thru LTB as well. good people. good hub. make sure its the newest circuit sports quik release. on their old ones you have to mash the button to both remove and put on. gets annoying after a week. if that doesnt bother you then rock it. believe nrg and megan make respectable quik releases.
Was looking at the Megan's quick release but it's $99 instead of the Circuit Sports $65. Guess maybe you get what you pay for. THe NRG's looks nice, cost a little more but look like they work great. Anybody got the NRG's out there?

Here's a video I found of it where it looks like it works pretty nicely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwK7cEr-OBQ
Ted

down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

I have an nrg QR and it works well but I hardly use it.

personal hub -> works bell pattern adapter -> NRG quick release -> nardi wheel
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae
Ted J
Fresh Meat

Post by Ted J »

down_shift wrote:I have an nrg QR and it works well but I hardly use it.

personal hub -> works bell pattern adapter -> NRG quick release -> nardi wheel
When you say personal hub you mean like something you made? Why do you need a works bell pattern adapter?
Ted

revel
Eet Bacon

Post by revel »

personal is a JDM company. they made wheels, hubs, etc....

i think he needed the adapter because one part is like 5hole and the other is 6hole.....or the holes just didnt line up right.
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

correct. I liked my hub too much to replace it so I got the adapter when my new qr wouldnt line up.
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae