shift lock?

Tech mumbo-jumbo... not Gizmodo.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati

Korey
Ripe Meat

shift lock?

Post by Korey »

Hey,
I've been looking around the site, and trying to learn as much as possible. I was just wondering if someone could explain the term shift lock, I've seen it thrown out in various posts and I think in Andy's sig (maybe? or his website at least). Any help would be appreciated, and I assume that this is wear I should be posting this thread.
Thanks,
Korey
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

From Drift Session:

1. Enter a turn at a speed too high for the vehicle to handle (if you do not drift, your vehicle should experience understeer at this speed).

2. Turn your wheels into the turn and quickly downshift into a lower gear (2nd gear).

3. By quickly downshifting (but not Heel-Toe Downshifting) you will put stress on the driveline, causing the vehicle to slow down and your engine rpms to increase.

4. After downshifting, quickly get on the throttle causing your wheels to break traction, sending your vehicle into a drift.

5. When you feel the vehicle’s rear end kicking out, immediately countersteer the wheels to face straight with the road. Your vehicle will pull in the direction of the front wheels, as long as the wheels are still moving. Keep on the throttle. If you press the brakes or let off the throttle because your vehicle is in an extremely oversteered condition, you will spin out or leave the road.

6. When you wish to straighten out your car, after completing the drift, let off the throttle smoothly and straighten out the wheels as your vehicle kicks in line behind the front tires.
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae
Korey
Ripe Meat

Post by Korey »

Ah, that clears it up. Thanks for the help.
Hahaha, at your sig about susp. geometry.
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

down_shift wrote:From Drift Session:

1. Enter a turn at a speed too high for the vehicle to handle (if you do not drift, your vehicle should experience understeer at this speed).

2. Turn your wheels into the turn and quickly downshift into a lower gear (2nd gear).

3. By quickly downshifting (but not Heel-Toe Downshifting) you will put stress on the driveline, causing the vehicle to slow down and your engine rpms to increase.

4. After downshifting, quickly get on the throttle causing your wheels to break traction, sending your vehicle into a drift.

5. When you feel the vehicle’s rear end kicking out, immediately countersteer the wheels to face straight with the road. Your vehicle will pull in the direction of the front wheels, as long as the wheels are still moving. Keep on the throttle. If you press the brakes or let off the throttle because your vehicle is in an extremely oversteered condition, you will spin out or leave the road.

6. When you wish to straighten out your car, after completing the drift, let off the throttle smoothly and straighten out the wheels as your vehicle kicks in line behind the front tires.

the way i understand it your #4 is off.

shift lock is kind of like a reverse clutch kick. instead of kicking the clutch to shock the driveline and cause sudden wheelspin it's using the downshift to slow the rear wheels rapidly, breaking traction and causing the slide. you only apply throttle after the slide has started.
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

I think your right. after downshifting its not going to need additional throttle to break traction.

I just pulled that off google.
Zach
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Zach »

I'd have to say I'd suggest against using shift lock though, the drivetrain shock is pretty extreme and could cause major damage to many components.. :shock:
struka
Slippery When Westicles

Post by struka »

its cause your not baller enough and dont have spare trannies and parts and a team that will put the new stuff in, in matter of minutes... :roll:
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Lolz.
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

baller
struka
Slippery When Westicles

Post by struka »

OMG!!!!! thats so bad ass! yea, thats baller as hell
mikespeed95
Get Some

Post by mikespeed95 »

shift lock is gay. theres no reason to learn/understand it.
240sx Sr20 drifto
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by 240sx Sr20 drifto »

i like to use shift un-lock
T.C. " Sport" Cartwright
Driftinzzzz Creationzzzz
Korey
Ripe Meat

Post by Korey »

Okay, so shift lock is not really needed? What are the best/or your favorite drifting techniques? I know it varies according to the turn, but what do you find yourself using the most?
I was watching the drift bible on youtube.com (because I'm ghetto, or just haven't bought it yet) and it said you should start by practicing 180's and 90 degree turns using the e-brake. What else should I practice, and learn as a beginner?
Thanks,
Korey
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

dounts, i love doing donuts. it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
please believe
Korey
Ripe Meat

Post by Korey »

donuts are always fun, anything else ya'll recommend practicing?
Thanks,
Korey