do you really need a strut tower brace? well, actually...

Tech mumbo-jumbo... not Gizmodo.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati

jo
Not Really Past the Hazing

do you really need a strut tower brace? well, actually...

Post by jo »

Very awesome article. i am not pasting it because it has pictures and is multi paged. read, learn, enjoy! that is, if you haven't seen it already.

http://e30m3performance.com/myths/Strut ... theory.htm

the article on weight transfer is great, too!

http://e30m3performance.com/myths/Weigh ... ansfer.htm
captobvious
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by captobvious »

i think my IQ raised like 10 points after reading that thing about the strut tower braces, that guy knows his physics
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

dang

Post by P.Haire »

yeah he does. funny thing my buddy and i were discussing the use of strut braces on the drive home tonight. i love finding stuff like this on the web. makes me shed a tear. anywho looks like something i'll have to do for school one of these days. if you find more of anything like that post it. i read carroll smith books whenever i can but i still like seeing that stuffs
please believe
struka
Slippery When Westicles

Post by struka »

that we were patrick, that we were. THis was talkin bout the front one, but what about the rear one and how does it fit driftin cars. None of the cars that pro drifters have, dont have strut bars(at least i never saw one). So what does that mean?
DriverGT5
Fresh Meat

Post by DriverGT5 »

Either his diagram is wrong or his formula is wrong. L1 and L2, the lengths involved in calculating the force, should be mesured from the center point of the wheel, not the lower ball joint. Also, F2 should be there as well. Think about it, the FOERST force, F1 is the force of the road pushing on the tire. The car has to push back, in this case, the car pushes the tire at the center point of the hub. Not to mention he completely is forgeting about moments, and things like that. IE, this isn't valid. F2 should also point the other way, and be F4, the force on the LCA. Plus, the math isn't that simple.

Unless I'm missing something.

Oh yeah, then there's the debate on hinged braces. IE, those with seperate plates and a single bolt that attaches the center bar. The forces show that the bar can pivot on those points, and literally negate most of the benifit. That's why you are seeing more solid bars, or bars with 2 parts, and the adjustment in the middle.

BTW I failed engineering after 3 years, so don't think me an expert.
aburazaru
Get Some

Post by aburazaru »

expert or not... i am still gonna weld like thirty peices of flat-ended steel tubing through out my car. old cars flex. ehh :?
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

Driftin2Trance wrote:that we were patrick, that we were. THis was talkin bout the front one, but what about the rear one and how does it fit driftin cars. None of the cars that pro drifters have, dont have strut bars(at least i never saw one). So what does that mean?

pro drift cars all have cages... which far outdoes any benefit of a strut tower bar. not many things will add as much stiffness to a chassis as tying everything together with a roll cage.