Have I lost my mind? Tire tech question.

Tech mumbo-jumbo... not Gizmodo.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati

darkducati
Purple Drank

Have I lost my mind? Tire tech question.

Post by darkducati »

So, I'm thinking of replacing the rear wheels of the MR2 with 15X9s. The 15X8s already there are shod with Falken RT615s in 205/50-15 which are rated at a maxium rim width of 7.5 inches which I am sure is somewhat conservative. The section width of the tires is 8.2 inches so they're not quite as stetched as you would think, but I wonder if I will be able to run them on the 9 inch wheels. I would simply fit bigger rear tires but the RT615s are only available in 205 for 15 inch wheels. Plus, I am still running the original 4AGE so there is no need for a bigger rear tire, at this time. The engine I'm putting in there(when it's finished)will have around 190RWHP so there will be a need to upsize the rear in the future. I figure the current tires will be worn out about the time I swap engines. So, will it work? I am sure they will mount up but I'm worried about the bead popping off under load. Opinions? GTE, feel free to chime in as well.
Beans and cornbread.
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

if andy can't drop the bead on his tires then i wouldn't sweat it too much.
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

we put a 215 40 on a struka's 17x9 inch no problem they beeded super easy. 205 50 shouldn't be a problem.
having a valve stem in the center of the wheel helps a ton.
what wheels are you thinking about using?
please believe
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

I don't think it'll be a problem. I've been running a 215 stretched in a 9.5 for a while, and it's been golden!

What's the plan for the motor? When is it going in?!?
matts13
OK Finally Past the Hazing

Post by matts13 »

yeha man a flaken 205 is really like a 220 so no worry just mount it.
darkducati
Purple Drank

Post by darkducati »

Thanks guys. I figured I would be fine but I wanted some reinforcement opinions. I'll be using the same 949 racing wheels I have now but switching to a 15x9 et36 on the back. The 15X8s are flush on the front but I'm just not happy with the way the rear sits. Plus, I think it will look dick.

The engine, is going to take awhile. The basic list is TRD valve springs and 0.8mm head gasket. TODA pistons 11.5:1 comp. and cams 288 Dur. 9.0mm lift. Carillo rods. Modified for wet sump TRD Formula Atlantic forged billet crank. Norwood main cap girdle. 440cc injectors. The cylinder head will be mainly unchanged aside from port matching the exhaust to the header which has larger primaries. Bob Norwood ran the factory intake ports to 650BHP in a destroked 1.5L and told me it was one of the best OEM cylinder head designs he had ever seen so I think it will be fine as is. TOM'S carbon airbox. Custom modified by yours truly velocity stacks to get rid of the garbage intake mufflers Toyota put in there. Typical external bolt ons. The only detail I haven't set myself on is the injection. I'm thinking of using the e-mannage ultimate but I may go standalone. The rest of the drivetrain will be a 6 speed from the 2ZZ with a KAAZ LSD, HKS flywheel, and TRD clutch. It is already apart and I'm starting to get parts together. It should be pretty fast once it's done.
Last edited by darkducati on Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Beans and cornbread.
darkducati
Purple Drank

Post by darkducati »

Pics for reference. This was before it was really slammed when it was on the Eibachs. The only thing that sucks is that they won't be finished with production until April. :(

Beans and cornbread.
mobceo
Stale Meat

Post by mobceo »

I love the wheels!!
SLAM Racing......do you have what it takes??
Zach
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Zach »

I love the motor build!! holy jeebus that things going to be a monster!!! haha
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

That car is going to be SO gnarl.
Those tyres are hella new!
:D
struka
Slippery When Westicles