clutchkick

Tech mumbo-jumbo... not Gizmodo.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati

Abactus
Rock Smoke

clutchkick

Post by Abactus »

hi,

I was wondering how much rpm before the revlimiter you usually are kicking the clutch to initiate the drift

greets
David Adams
Stale Meat

Post by David Adams »

I don't do it often, however with the last few events, I've been using it more and more.

I use it around 3-4k, keeping in mind that my car only revs to 8 but the limiter kicks in at 6500.

Even if I could use the full rev band, I'd imagine kicking it between 3-5k would be optimal on my car. I can clutch kick pretty low and have it work (like 1400-2000) but that's mostly the car's motor kicking in at that point.

YMMV!

-Dave
I am, the most interesting man in the world.
PmartyX
Purple Drank

Post by PmartyX »

David Adams wrote:keeping in mind that my car only revs to 8 but the limiter kicks in at 6500.

-Dave

Ummm, that makes sense?
I am very safety driver!!!!!!!!!

"if you see team rowdy in anyone's sig, just don't even read the post. From my experience anything they've said to me was assholish and most of what i read is the same."
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

WOW!!!

back on topic, I think Andy just clutch kicks all the damn time, nonstop.
Bikes, Meat, Drama, Meat, Gossip, Meat, Metal, Meat, Buttsex, Meat, Family and some Drifting.
David Adams
Stale Meat

Post by David Adams »

Maudite wrote:WOW!!!

back on topic, I think Andy just clutch kicks all the damn time, nonstop.
He does, like a mad man, I love watching him drive too, and the sound is amazing.

Dave Jones also clutch kicks a bunch
martymartymarty.net wrote:
Ummm, that makes sense?
I thought it did, my tachometer goes to 8 but my factory rev limit is at 6500. I can phrase things oddly sometimes, my bad.
DJones
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by DJones »

uhhhh Dave, that didn't make sense. :?

...and to answer the question, you can clutch kick whenever you feel the need. There's no point in clutch kicking if your car is on the rev limiter, and if my car is at low revs, I will hold the clutch in a little longer to let the revs build more (so when something breaks, it breaks big)
David Adams
Stale Meat

Post by David Adams »

DJones wrote:uhhhh Dave, that didn't make sense. :?
Yeah I did phrase that oddly, I was typing ahead of my thought process I guess.
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

in my old miata the tach redline was 7500, but the rev limiter kicked in at 9000

hee hee
Bikes, Meat, Drama, Meat, Gossip, Meat, Metal, Meat, Buttsex, Meat, Family and some Drifting.
David Adams
Stale Meat

Post by David Adams »

Really? I can't recall my Miata revving that high. Of course I wouldn't be able to tell the tach only went to 8.
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

my ECU stopped at 9k rpm. martymartymarty.net's was capable as well, but he didn't because of the big supercharger.
PmartyX
Purple Drank

Post by PmartyX »

Yea, I bumped it down to 8500. :twisted:

To answer the OP's question, there really is no set RPM that you should clutch kick. Like Djones said, just make sure you're not on the limiter when you do clutchkick. That would be useless.

And dadams. Just because your mustang tach goes to 8000, doesn't mean it revs to 8000. My speedo in my Miata goes to 180, but my Miata only tops out at 168. Go figure. :P
I am very safety driver!!!!!!!!!

"if you see team rowdy in anyone's sig, just don't even read the post. From my experience anything they've said to me was assholish and most of what i read is the same."
Dr. Marlow
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Dr. Marlow »

if you are driving a corolla, the answer is: ALWAYS
You've got the wrong answer
David Adams
Stale Meat

Post by David Adams »

Really, wow, there's so much I have yet to learn about the inner workings of cars. I'm learning slowly but surely. Thanks for clearing that up, martymartymarty.net. I assumed that unless built to rev high, my engine would probably not produce much power up there anyway, even if I flashed and reset the rev limit to 8k. It'd probably just break something. It's not my focus anyway, at least not in that car. Power is fine, it's driver/suspension I'm worried about.

Maudite, did the car produce power up that high? I'd imagine the smaller engine would love to rev up there.

I'm going to go back to work but I need to get my behind on How Stuff Works and learn a thing or two.
Zach
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Zach »

DJones wrote:uhhhh Dave, that didn't make sense. :?

...and to answer the question, you can clutch kick whenever you feel the need. There's no point in clutch kicking if your car is on the rev limiter, and if my car is at low revs, I will hold the clutch in a little longer to let the revs build more (so when something breaks, it breaks big)
that 'a boy!! :lol:
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

LOL @martymartymarty.net.

Yeah Dave, I produced good NA power up there and awesome SCed power.

'99 1.8L balanced to 9K rpm, 10:75:1 compression, ported head and intake manifold, unshrouded valves and spark plugs, .003 decked head and block, stiffer valve springs, solid lifters, 8 pound flywheel, lightened crank pulley, lightened crank, micropolished crank journals, 4-1 RB header, 1 of 5 in the U.S PitCrew catback exhaust, Link ECU, custom cold air intake, high flow cat, plus the car only weighted 1900 pounds.

it was a crap ton of fun NA, it was a beast at 10PSI on the M45 SC, and it was fucking brutal on 13 psi with the M62 SC.

only thing i never got around to was boring the cylinders and upping the compression to 12.5:1.

gawd I miss that car. gotta get another one.