WTB: Nikon AF-S Telephoto

Do you have a part for sale? Don't post it here. Trust me.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, CodyW, Rhoad Racing

collink
OK Finally Past the Hazing

WTB: Nikon AF-S Telephoto

Post by collink »

I'm looking for something with more reach than the the 18-55 and 28-80 I have. Some off brands are fine. LMK if anyone's got anything. Looking for something on the cheap...

Thanks in advance
FooSchnickens
Rock Smoke

Re: WTB: Nikon AF-S Telephoto

Post by FooSchnickens »

Criagslist and amazon are your friendssssssssssssssss

Also, don't skimp on glass. Lens quality > camera quality.

Also, so long as you stay with the same brand you can use it on pretty much any other camera. UPGRADES
f00tography
In our minds. In our reality. In our world we are QUEEN DUCHESS TEAPOT HABERDASHERY!! RULER OF ALL!! PARTY OF ONE!!!
fooschnicks: totally oawesome
fooschnicks: whatever that means
gregthore: oaseome
gregthore: without me it's just oaweso
gregthore: Eugene has a meagan muff
collink

Post by collink »

FooSchnickens wrote:Criagslist and amazon are your friendssssssssssssssss

Also, don't skimp on glass. Lens quality > camera quality.

Also, so long as you stay with the same brand you can use it on pretty much any other camera. UPGRADES
I scoured craigslist. I'm trying to be cheap about it and unfortunately, nothing to be found.
FooSchnickens
Rock Smoke

Post by FooSchnickens »

Then keep saving up. Don't expect to pay anything less than $500 for a GOOD tele lens.
f00tography
In our minds. In our reality. In our world we are QUEEN DUCHESS TEAPOT HABERDASHERY!! RULER OF ALL!! PARTY OF ONE!!!
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

maybe you should try searching craigslist, and not scrubbing it.
Bikes, Meat, Drama, Meat, Gossip, Meat, Metal, Meat, Buttsex, Meat, Family and some Drifting.
collink

Post by collink »

No longer looking. Was just informed by a friend while looking at a Sigma 55-200 for $150 that the Nikkor one is only a fraction more. Granted, it's a kit lens on some Nikons, for the price, it's going to be fine for me I think.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/55200.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What's your opinion Foo?
FooSchnickens
Rock Smoke

Post by FooSchnickens »

Don't get it, the focusing sucks on it. Way too slow for any kind of action shots.

Other downsides are the lack of VR and plastic bayonet mount (instead of the metal you'll find on other lenses). The plastic mount is easy to get around, (just don't pick it up by the lens itself, always grab the body) but for people with unsteady hands the VR can be a lifesaver. For maybe $50 more you can get the VR version and much better focusing performance.

Or you could just man up and get the 18-200 VR and throw all your other lenses away. Well, except for a couple primes. I love primes...
f00tography
charlie
Eet Bacon

Post by charlie »

foo: the science, he brings it.
[html]<object data="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" style="outline:none;" width="512" height="44" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param value="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" name="movie"/><param value="always" name="AllowScriptAccess"/><param value="opaque" name="wmode"/><param value="noscale" name="scale"/><param value="tl" name="salign"/></object><BR>
[/html]K-TO-THE-MOTHERFUCKIN-OI! OI! OI!
BandyDesign
Ripe Meat

Post by BandyDesign »

FooSchnickens wrote:Don't get it, the focusing sucks on it. Way too slow for any kind of action shots.

Other downsides are the lack of VR and plastic bayonet mount (instead of the metal you'll find on other lenses). The plastic mount is easy to get around, (just don't pick it up by the lens itself, always grab the body) but for people with unsteady hands the VR can be a lifesaver. For maybe $50 more you can get the VR version and much better focusing performance.

Or you could just man up and get the 18-200 VR and throw all your other lenses away. Well, except for a couple primes. I love primes...
I want to man up. Whats it gonna cost me?
FooSchnickens
Rock Smoke

Post by FooSchnickens »

About eight fitty depending on where you look. I got mine used at a Nikon shop in Nakano for a lot less and even came with a warranty. :3 Not everyone can jaunt over the japan for a lens, though.

That said, don't be afraid to buy used. There are a LOT of deals to be had.
f00tography