Question on wheel spacers...

Tech mumbo-jumbo... not Gizmodo.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati

bradystrib
Man of Action

Question on wheel spacers...

Post by bradystrib »

SOoooo, i've been noticing a weird noise coming from my left rear wheel. Sort of a creaking noise....not metal on metal or clunking, but a squeaky creaking noise...well today I went to check it out because vibrations started occuring on my ride home....BAAAAD. When i hit the gas aggresively it would stop, but when i let off it felt like i was about to initiate. Well upon inspection, I have snapped two wheel studs clean off and two more lug nuts were backing off. I attempted to remove the spacer but I am limited on tools at home. ARRRG! Matt said he'd help out tomorrow. Anyways, back to my question,
Would wheel spacers be the reason that my studs snapped off? They are maybe 25mm or more. I'd say an 1"+ or so. Soo if it is the reason, should i dump these or was it user error that the studs snapped? Ahhh!
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Are they hubcentric wheel spacers? And are the lug bolts extended at all?
bradystrib
Man of Action

Post by bradystrib »

andysapp wrote:Are they hubcentric wheel spacers? And are the lug bolts extended at all?
they are hubcentric and to be honest I have no clue if they are extended lugs...i would assume they are as the spacers are pretty wide.
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Re: Question on wheel spacers...

Post by icantdrift »

bradystrib wrote:SOoooo, i've been noticing a weird noise coming from my left rear wheel. Sort of a creaking noise....not metal on metal or clunking, but a squeaky creaking noise...well today I went to check it out because vibrations started occuring on my ride home....BAAAAD. When i hit the gas aggresively it would stop, but when i let off it felt like i was about to initiate. Well upon inspection, I have snapped two wheel studs clean off and two more lug nuts were backing off. I attempted to remove the spacer but I am limited on tools at home. ARRRG! Matt said he'd help out tomorrow. Anyways, back to my question,
Would wheel spacers be the reason that my studs snapped off? They are maybe 25mm or more. I'd say an 1"+ or so. Soo if it is the reason, should i dump these or was it user error that the studs snapped? Ahhh!

the only thing that usually snaps studs is loose lugs or overtightening. i assume you snapped the stud between the hub and spacer? not the ones from the spacer to the wheel.
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

bradystrib wrote:
andysapp wrote:Are they hubcentric wheel spacers? And are the lug bolts extended at all?
they are hubcentric and to be honest I have no clue if they are extended lugs...i would assume they are as the spacers are pretty wide.
i doubt you have extended studs since your spacers are bolt ons.
bradystrib
Man of Action

Post by bradystrib »

icantdrift wrote:
bradystrib wrote:SOoooo, i've been noticing a weird noise coming from my left rear wheel. Sort of a creaking noise....not metal on metal or clunking, but a squeaky creaking noise...well today I went to check it out because vibrations started occuring on my ride home....BAAAAD. When i hit the gas aggresively it would stop, but when i let off it felt like i was about to initiate. Well upon inspection, I have snapped two wheel studs clean off and two more lug nuts were backing off. I attempted to remove the spacer but I am limited on tools at home. ARRRG! Matt said he'd help out tomorrow. Anyways, back to my question,

the only thing that usually snaps studs is loose lugs or overtightening. i assume you snapped the stud between the hub and spacer? not the ones from the spacer to the wheel.
snapped from spacer to wheel.
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

bradystrib wrote: snapped from spacer to wheel.
in that case the lugs were probably coming loose and just broke. check all of the rest and the ones holding your spacers on the hubs ;).
bradystrib
Man of Action

Post by bradystrib »

icantdrift wrote:
bradystrib wrote: snapped from spacer to wheel.
in that case the lugs were probably coming loose and just broke. check all of the rest and the ones holding your spacers on the hubs ;).
Done and done. I gotta get those replaced tomorrow. Matt is going to help me since i dont have good tools.....yet :D
ChadMK4
Purple Drank

Post by ChadMK4 »

Brady I broke three of five lugs on my M30 when I drove it to the Spartenburg event last year and mine were the spacer to hub lugs. But I found that my spacer lug nuts were a little loose too. I'm assuming it's because the spacer is Aluminum and all the hot-cold, hot-cold caused them to work their ways loose. But I doubt thats what broke the factory lugs. I swapped them out and didn't have anymore problems. But then again the car didn't run much more after that. :)