WHAT WOULD YOU CHANGE ABOUT PRO DRIFTING

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

Tracy
Imitation Crab Meat

WHAT WOULD YOU CHANGE ABOUT PRO DRIFTING

Post by Tracy »

Batlground has been approached by an organization who is interested in putting together a professional drifting series for the East Coast. I am putting my feelers out there to see what you would like to see changed in the way professional drifting is run or judged. Please feel free to comment on what you do like about the way drifting is run and judged. I would also like to state that it may be possible that Drift Fury will become a feeder series for when this organization is ready to do this. The way it would work is, you would come to any of the Drift Fury events that we have on our schedule and if you get X amount of points at ONE of our events then you recieve your pro license. The other way to obtain your pro license would be if you came to the actual professional event and qualified the day before (similar to how FD used to do it). So, you would in the end have 2 choices to obtain your license. But please feel free to talk about how you think it would work best to qualify for a pro license.

I am trying to come at this from a drivers perpective. I am trying to make sure that I listen to the peole who will ultimately make a series happen. No drivers = no series. I want to make sure that we hear all of the opinions and try to do the best we can to be fair to everyone. I think that getting input from the competitors is the best way to go about it.

feel free to e-mail me if you like tracy@batlground.com or you can post here.wh
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

don't follow in FD's footsteps and make it inaccessible to us poor folks ;). that's my only guideline.
slidewaysgolf
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by slidewaysgolf »

icantdrift wrote:don't follow in FD's footsteps and make it inaccessible to us poor folks ;). that's my only guideline.
Word! Realy i am not kidding it cost to dang much, I would love to try it out but so far nothing has made it viable to get rid of the rally Vdub, or the autox CRX. and start drifting, i would go to local events if i had a good rwd, daily driver, or rwd autox car, but the small amount of events a year is so much less that autox i cant sale the crx and start over, no cash to sale the daily driver, and again the lack of amteur events and the cost keeps me from saleing the rally golf, I mean i love drifting and want to do it bad and i think i would be ok at it from 6 years of rally but you gota look at it this way i can go to around 15 rallyx's a year and do it for 30 bucks an event i cant to that with drifting..... yet
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

I think drifting is about to be pulled in too many directions. It kinda worries me. As far as I know... D1 is going to launch a full American professional series next year. Unless you're talking about D1... that would mean there will be at least 3 professional series next year in the US. I don't want to see drifting suffer a similar fate to import drag racing.

Personally... I'm not really feeling competitions too much anymore. I feel like everyone wants to prove they're the best, and they are losing sight that drifting is supposed to be about the love. Is competition necessary in drifting? Most definitely. I guess competitive drifting has lost some of its appeal to me, because I don't have as much fun competing.
rotary_drift_dreams
Ripe Meat

Post by rotary_drift_dreams »

andysapp wrote: Personally... I'm not really feeling competitions too much anymore. I feel like everyone wants to prove they're the best, and they are losing sight that drifting is supposed to be about the love.

amen brotha...hey andy i saw the video of you on the 75/85 interchance man im on the thing atleast 3 times a week and everytime im like man i wanna rip this turn up 1 day and then i heard u did as soon as i got home i went on you tube and i couldnt believe it..fawkin nice... 10/4,1..2..3..send it :wink:
blackhawk86
Fresh Meat

keep drifting

Post by blackhawk86 »

feel ya man, ppl are trying too hard to be like they are inthe movies,..too much show off,...the jappanese from what i understand have way more skill, and i mean they base all their ideas on wanting to be the next jgtc copetitor,...while here we all want to just be in the high light,...i realy dont care for the popularity ,i just realy enjoy takeing my car and haveing fun, if i reck it,o well, i'll just rebiuld.....blood, guts, and glory..
FOERST gear i could still here her bitchin, second gear maybe word or two, third, iwas already at 60, fourth gear i could see her face still, fith gear,....well, after that bitchin drift,...i forgot everthing about her.
slidewaysgolf
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by slidewaysgolf »

Andy after some thought i think your right Drifting if following the gloomy road of import drag racing. It went from a short grassroots sport to BOOM its all "pro" events. Maby if someone could hav a pure grass roots event like AutoX or rallyX that would be sweet. I know there is some but the amount seems small to me.
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

andy nailed it. the competitions are fun and all, but they aren't half as much fun as i've had at the private days and stuff like that though. however, if another series is starting i agree with the others about keeping it reasonable for people without million dollar budgets and things like that.
PmartyX
Purple Drank

Post by PmartyX »

Just incase anyone wants to add on this, this is what I posted on IA:

One thing I would like to see, but would not be a neccesity would be car classes. Much like how autocrosses are run.

For example:

4 cylinder NA
4 cylinder Unnaturally Aspirated
6 cy
8cy
etc....

or by power:
Sub 200HP
200- 300HP
300HP and up

Hell even have a FWD class.

I think this would be fun, but it will be harder to classify some cars or have people sandbagging.

Just a thought though
I am very safety driver!!!!!!!!!

"if you see team rowdy in anyone's sig, just don't even read the post. From my experience anything they've said to me was assholish and most of what i read is the same."
PmartyX
Purple Drank

Post by PmartyX »

andysapp wrote:I think drifting is about to be pulled in too many directions. It kinda worries me. As far as I know... D1 is going to launch a full American professional series next year. Unless you're talking about D1... that would mean there will be at least 3 professional series next year in the US. I don't want to see drifting suffer a similar fate to import drag racing.

Personally... I'm not really feeling competitions too much anymore. I feel like everyone wants to prove they're the best, and they are losing sight that drifting is supposed to be about the love. Is competition necessary in drifting? Most definitely. I guess competitive drifting has lost some of its appeal to me, because I don't have as much fun competing.

Very well put Andy. I agree and disagree with some things though. Maybe it's because I'm a competitve person, but I love driving in comps. I also feel that you learn more at competitions than at practice days. You can be at a practice day doing the same thing wrong all day, and probably no one will tell you how to fix it. For me, I thrive at competitions and feel I learn more, because you have to make changes faster.

On the other hand, it's awesome to just sit back at a private day and hang out with everyone and just run whenever, however, the whole day.
I am very safety driver!!!!!!!!!

"if you see team rowdy in anyone's sig, just don't even read the post. From my experience anything they've said to me was assholish and most of what i read is the same."
Tracy
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by Tracy »

The drift fury events will be run the same. None of that is changing except we will be working tandem in. You will still get practice all day and then we willhave the competition at the end. It is proposed that it will nly take one DF event to get your license if you get X amount of points during the event. It won't be the top 1, 2 , 3 or 4. Just incase only sucky people show up that day :) You know what I mean. WE will probably have 5 events in Atlanta and 5 outside of atlanta in the South East.

I hear what Andy is saying about too many organizations. I have personally only heard of 2 besides FD one of them being D1. Drag racing had it's prime for many many years. It's a cycle and drag racing will never go away. It may wane a little as far as the sport compact scene is concerned, but there are plenty of drag racing events that are doing amazing. Top Fuel stuff is still going very strong.

At FOERST I can definately see 3 or 4 organizations trying to do pro drifting. It's a really new sport and is making a big splash. People are seeing dollar signs. But it's just like everything else, not all of them will make it. Competition in organizations will put each of them in check. Right now things are a little crazy because there is a monopoly on the pro events and there is no checks and balances. The way things are has made it IMPOSSIBLE for people like Andy Sapp and martymartymarty.net to survive in FD. Those 2 def deserve it but it has been made impossible for them.

I think there can be a happy medium with private days, amatuer competitions and pro competitions. I personally am not into competitionn as much as dan. I like driving but competition makes it a little stressful for me. I always feel better at the demos than at competition. Even drift fury is a little stressful for me, even tho I don't compete there, all of my friends are there watching and I feel competition :) If that makes sense. Either way, drifting should be able to maintain alittle bit of everything for everyone.
blackhawk86
Fresh Meat

fact is..

Post by blackhawk86 »

private days and amatuer comp. for the litle ppl like myself and yourfriend " JOHNNY TROUBLE" pull our money from our oun pockets for tires engine parts so on....its just adream come true just for us to even attend a driftfury an dgtrials event.....as for me and "JT" we enjoy watching you compete or just driveing for show,....you got skills,...tracy..rock on..
FOERST gear i could still here her bitchin, second gear maybe word or two, third, iwas already at 60, fourth gear i could see her face still, fith gear,....well, after that bitchin drift,...i forgot everthing about her.
rotary_drift_dreams
Ripe Meat

Post by rotary_drift_dreams »

i never had thoughts of making it big i just want to do the sport i love and meet some new peeps... :D
kalifornia087
Rock Smoke

Post by kalifornia087 »

Do it for the love, try and squash the politics that have polluted the higher level. I love DF events and private days and all that jazz, i just hate watching people (even if it's one or two) when i go to road Atlanta for Formula D not make it/ make it when they should/shouldn't have...

You know...

I like competing, but i have more fun just doing it because i Love It.
go fast or die
blackhawk86
Fresh Meat

Post by blackhawk86 »

its like some ppl i know in drag racing they love the thrill of it and the fun of it, they could care less for the point standings and new guide lines. they simpley love it,.....i love drifting its a way of life....live it, and love it....rock on