a new TT AWD Mazda!!

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

airBORNE
Fresh Meat

Post by airBORNE »

yeah 4 cyl twin turbo seems kind of odd. i wonder if they are run in parrelell or sequential. either way they must be small turbos
http://www.airbornemotorsports.com

"Depend on the Lord in whatever you do, and your plans will succeed" Proverbs 16:3
jo
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by jo »

I wonder if it's a misprint in the article....

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?news/ae_n ... p?id=48299

"Unlike its main rivals, the Mazda will make do with four cylinders instead of a V6, but the 2.3-litre engine, based on that fitted to the 6 Sport, will have a turbocharger bolted on to develop in excess of 280bhp."

A bit more detail -- Looks to be a single turbo four from that article. Twin-scroll exhaust housing, perhaps, twin exhaust tip, yes, but twin turbo... doubtful. That could just be for the uk/europe release and the LHD one will be different.
Kouki7
Clam Salesman

Post by Kouki7 »

i'll bet the USA doesn't get that car. watch it only get sold in the UK, Australia and Japan. we never get any good cars here.
1991 RX7 GTR - JDM Daily Driver

Microtech LT10S, 3" Turboback, 9psi.

225rwhp on 9psi
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

We did get the 4x4 Yugo!!!
sam
Ripe Meat

Post by sam »

1: thats not really a twin turbo. It's either a twin scroll turbo (like on evo8's), or a Twin Entry turbo (like SW20 MR2 Turbos).
2: Rallie herritage. That's the same frame as the focus rally car. And the focus RS. and the soon to be Focus Cosworth. And it's the engine from a focus cossie.
too bad they aren't putting that punch under the hood of a mazda 3 wagon.
*sings* my corolla breaks down more than your corolla!
shuya
Fresh Meat

Post by shuya »

the 2nd link tells it all :
At the heart of the 6 MPS road car is the concept’s muscular turbocharged powertrain, six-speed manual gearbox and four-wheel drive. Peak power from the twin-turbocharged and intercooled 2.3-litre four-cylinder is tipped to match the concept’s 276bhp. Thanks to the turbocharger, it should develop a useful amount of torque for effortless performance. Expect a peak of around 265lb ft, developed at an accessible 3500rpm – that’s 5lb ft more than a BMW M3 but delivered 1400rpm lower down the rev range.

If Autocar’s sources are correct, the twin turbos deploy sequentially, the smaller boosting at low revs, the bigger across the rest of the range. This design keeps turbo lag to a minimum by using two fast-spinning turbos. Because both are smaller than one big blower, they have little inertia and therefore respond more quickly to throttle inputs.

Four-wheel drive should make the MPS a highly effective cross-country drive, particularly since the concept’s electronically controlled centre diff and limited-slip rear differential are expected to make production.

like i said before, since the engine is the same in both the 2.3L 6 & 3, it should work to the advantage of people like myself who have a mz3 hatch who want to put down some serious power. we'll see if the drivetrain can be adapted though. now THAT would be dope!