Upgrade!

Post any and all car-related pictures here.

Moderators: charlie, CodyW, Rhoad Racing

foilman
Not Really Past the Hazing

Re: Upgrade!

Post by foilman »

Some of you seem to have missed/glossed over the fact he already had the ti which broke. In which case buying an M3 would not be cheaper. It would be easier and faster and have better brakes and diff, but not cheaper. As for the Z3 suggestion... it is pretty much the same chassis as the ti with an even larger dose of gay bait infused.
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

foilman wrote:Some of you seem to have missed/glossed over the fact he already had the ti which broke. In which case buying an M3 would not be cheaper. It would be easier and faster and have better brakes and diff, but not cheaper. As for the Z3 suggestion... it is pretty much the same chassis as the ti with an even larger dose of gay bait infused.
You're looking like $3-4k minimum for a S52 swap... put that into a 318ti.. at the end of the day you still don't have an M3-ish car.. just a 318ti with an M3 engine.

Easier/Faster = Time.. Time = Money. Save Time.. you save money.
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

Wait..why am I even being nice here?

Fuck it.. just do whatever you want. Don't park it next to me.

Tony's car can park next to mine.. because I have time/money invested in it.

Thx.
mikespeed95
Get Some

Post by mikespeed95 »

quazar311 wrote:
foilman wrote:Some of you seem to have missed/glossed over the fact he already had the ti which broke. In which case buying an M3 would not be cheaper. It would be easier and faster and have better brakes and diff, but not cheaper. As for the Z3 suggestion... it is pretty much the same chassis as the ti with an even larger dose of gay bait infused.
You're looking like $3-4k minimum for a S52 swap... put that into a 318ti.. at the end of the day you still don't have an M3-ish car.. just a 318ti with an M3 engine.

Easier/Faster = Time.. Time = Money. Save Time.. you save money.
youre forgetting the cost of a rearend that can survive triple digit horsepower.
collink
OK Finally Past the Hazing

Post by collink »

OK, so what if I decided to go with an M50 instead? Should be a bit cheaper and less horsepower should be less taxing on the chassis, subframe, and differential, right?
mikespeed95
Get Some

Post by mikespeed95 »

you just need to get in the habbit of doing it right the 1st time from here on.

get whatever engine you want in the longrun and go ahead and start sourcing parts to upgrade your rearend.
collink

Post by collink »

mikespeed95 wrote:you just need to get in the habbit of doing it right the 1st time from here on.

get whatever engine you want in the longrun and go ahead and start sourcing parts to upgrade your rearend.
Thanks for the advice. I'll no doubt be upgrading the guts. Current diff is open, so I'll at least need to get a LSD. Do you think the stock pumpkin will be able to take it, or will I need to figure out a way to switch to an E36 pumpkin?
foilman
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by foilman »

You should go to a BMW forum now.
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

foilman wrote:You should go to a BMW forum now.
FooSchnickens
Rock Smoke

Post by FooSchnickens »

mikespeed95 wrote:you just need to get in the habbit of doing it right the 1st time from here on.
quazar311 wrote:
foilman wrote:You should go to a BMW forum now.
f00tography
In our minds. In our reality. In our world we are QUEEN DUCHESS TEAPOT HABERDASHERY!! RULER OF ALL!! PARTY OF ONE!!!
fooschnicks: totally oawesome
fooschnicks: whatever that means
gregthore: oaseome
gregthore: without me it's just oaweso
gregthore: Eugene has a meagan muff
ChadMK4
Purple Drank

Post by ChadMK4 »

Collin, build your car the way you feel fit. But do all the research you can before doing permanent fitments on anything. And always give yourself an out. I did retarded amounts of research on the Datsun and S13 suspensions before even attempting to line it up on the frame and its still not perfect enough for me. I will be redoing the rear towers one day. But not anytime super soon. Maybe at the end of the season. I gave myself and out by setting everything up with S13 stuff so that if I just said fuck it and quit (which I deemed wasn't allowed) or either I put it in a wall one day I can just move everything over to a S13 chassis and be right back on the track.

But taking this to the BMW Forums would probably be your better choice.
Zach
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Zach »

Yeah it's your car make it the way you want it, don't look for the approval in the process. What makes your car unique is doing what you want with it how you want it done. Do your research, put in the time, and make educated and thought out decisions with whatever you do and maybe, just maybe, respect will come. Acceptance of cool in cars is a strange phenomena, there is definitely a style, but if you can figure out (read: ON YOUR OWN) what you want your car to be people will respect it as yours much more. That being said do what you want with it and will make you content with the way it turns out. Acceptance is over-rated and happiness and pride in the end-result is really more important in the long run.
collink

Post by collink »

ChadMK4 wrote:Collin, build your car the way you feel fit. But do all the research you can before doing permanent fitments on anything. And always give yourself an out. I did retarded amounts of research on the Datsun and S13 suspensions before even attempting to line it up on the frame and its still not perfect enough for me. I will be redoing the rear towers one day. But not anytime super soon. Maybe at the end of the season. I gave myself and out by setting everything up with S13 stuff so that if I just said fuck it and quit (which I deemed wasn't allowed) or either I put it in a wall one day I can just move everything over to a S13 chassis and be right back on the track.

But taking this to the BMW Forums would probably be your better choice.
I appreciate the advice. 318TI.org has been a great resource. A lot of S50 swapped TIs. They're saying that M42 (OBD-I) to S50 (OBD-I) is swap and go with a EWS (key fob security) delete chip from Turner or similar. I can even reuse my trans and everything behind it. I'll be replacing my subframe and diff with parts from a Z3 M probably, since those are built to take the added HP/TQ.

There's actually a guy who has a manual on how to do the swap that he's selling. I'm probably going to pick one of t hose up cause it comes with a certain number of hours of "tech support" in case I run into any problems.

Zach wrote:Yeah it's your car make it the way you want it, don't look for the approval in the process. What makes your car unique is doing what you want with it how you want it done. Do your research, put in the time, and make educated and thought out decisions with whatever you do and maybe, just maybe, respect will come. Acceptance of cool in cars is a strange phenomena, there is definitely a style, but if you can figure out (read: ON YOUR OWN) what you want your car to be people will respect it as yours much more. That being said do what you want with it and will make you content with the way it turns out. Acceptance is over-rated and happiness and pride in the end-result is really more important in the long run.
In all fairness, I never indended this thread to be a "hey, should I do an S50 swap or buy an M3" thread. I was only ever planning on documenting the swap in here. I've come to those conclusions in the last couple days myself. Thanks very much for the words of encouragement, Zach.
mikespeed95
Get Some

Post by mikespeed95 »

just make sure you ask people who are actually drifting their 318's what all you need. honestly it seems on here weve got some awesome euro guys to consult for advice hit em up!

i wasnt trying to tell you to do anything a certain way but i will say make absolutely sure you build it so you arent breaking stuff a broke car at the track is absolutely no fun, unfortunately im an exp4rt in building crap that breaks itself when in all honesty consulting some guys who drift holdens in australia and some drag race guys along with being more patient im 99% confident my car would have never blown up or broke 1/10th as much as it did.
collink

Post by collink »

mikespeed95 wrote:just make sure you ask people who are actually drifting their 318's what all you need. honestly it seems on here weve got some awesome euro guys to consult for advice hit em up!

i wasnt trying to tell you to do anything a certain way but i will say make absolutely sure you build it so you arent breaking stuff a broke car at the track is absolutely no fun, unfortunately im an exp4rt in building crap that breaks itself when in all honesty consulting some guys who drift holdens in australia and some drag race guys along with being more patient im 99% confident my car would have never blown up or broke 1/10th as much as it did.
I'm doing my research. From what I'm reading, the S50 is one of the easiest swaps you can do. OBD-I to OBD-I it's supposed to just swap and go.

Thanks for the advice Mike.