Das Dicke Ende Kommt Noch! e36 buildup..

Post any and all car-related pictures here.

Moderators: charlie, CodyW, Rhoad Racing

Epik
Imitation Crab Meat

Das Dicke Ende Kommt Noch! e36 buildup..

Post by Epik »

LOOONg overdue. I have had this car since last November.. kept under secret wraps til the "unveiling" for the new season. I had the Lexus for 7 years and literally got the 7 year itch to try something new.
Things havent gone like I planned for selling the Lexus to fund the tranny money to get the 2jz in this car..
so I made due with what i've got to work with and learned to beat on the 4 cylinder mill.

I'm pretty impressed with the beating this thing has taken.. check the mileage.. night I picked it up.

here is what i started out with..

a little frontal drama and bald ass tires helped me score this car for just smidge over $1g.
Image.

Anyways.. gutted it immediately to get what I could for what it had.DeuceForty is rockin my old sooperclean doorpanels..

interior was mint.. allllllmost hated to do it. also yanked about 20lbs of wires out.. stereo, abs.. you name it.

ONce it was gutted and all the sound deadening gone.. i built this cool set of monkey bars inside.

from my Lexus experience I knew that the drum ebrake on the BMW wouldnt hold up to drift initiation and other abuse..
so I gutted the drums and shoes. I also built this cool hydro handbrake.. took a few tries to get it the way I like
but this old busted torque wrench found a new calling. Clamps like a vise on the rear rotors now.
building the box.. this was the key to zero-flex
now where should it go?
that'll do

Speaking of rear rotors.. little out of order here since i just did this today.. buuut fuck it. This is my thread.
cross-threaded one of the rear lug bolts last wednesday at the track. I hate the lug bolts.
so the Lexus lives on.. H&R extended studs from the GS. Drilled out the threads in the hubs, drew the studs in and tacked them in place.
Yay!!
wash/rinse/repeat...

While i was working back there.. i discovered something i dont like about the BC's.. So i fixed it. The body of the shock is threaded at the bottom for the eye. But the thread bottoms out with over an inch to spare. So.. I pulled it out
and gave her a trim..
and now i can be sooper moar low. or at least not raked, and use the spring collars again for height adjustment if i want to go up,
or preload the spring at all.

Mothafuckin Decepticons can have their PBR.. I'll take the Crown. This guy Skully here solved my stock shitty shiftknob problem for just $20.00

Latest project.. more cooling. Since I'm a broke bastard.. this is a Honda rad I had laying around..I think it is a Prelude or Accord rad.
Either way, it is over 200 sq inch more core surface area than the plastic BMW radiator with the shitty reservoir attached and PITA little pinhole
to fill it. I was just waiting for it to explode at the last MBDrift event, even though with the new WP the temps never got over 220*F.
stock.. shitty rad. nice fan and shroud though.
if it can cool 2.2-2.3L it should be nice and cool in a 1.9L
a few things i have to make for it to work.. either a swirl pot for the rad hose that goes from the bottom of the reservoir to the block, or a
fitting off the reservoir for the coolant to the block. Will be some trial and error for sure.. that's what Wednesday practice is for.

Here is the latest view of the car. 80s Chevy Maro wheels rock. I now have 2 full sets. I have $80.00 total in both sets. They are about +19
offset.. roughly. No you cant be this cool. :teethslay:
read it.. understand it.. the 2jz cometh.

so here's a breakdown...
1997 BMW 318i.. of course its a four door...you know me by now.
1.9l M44 motor.. 4 cyl lack of power
SaRD Racing cone filter
gutted OBD2/Emmissions hardware
stock exhaust all the way
gutted heater core
GeT Spek firewall block off plate.. fills the bigass hole from the heater core absence
BC Racing BR TYpe coilovers 10/12 (i think)
Welded 3.45 stock diff. cheap, but not my FOERST choice. I know the power of a real 1.5/2 way LSD.
stainless brake lines
GeT Spek hydro handbrake, gutted stock drums/shoes
6+ point cage
Sparco circuit seat (LOVE this seat.. but not FIA spec) :gonk:
Borrowed Leaf 5 pts..(Thanks Alan!) will have some Crows soon.
Saga coolant temp guage
multiple sets of 85 Camaro z28 wheels
studded rear hubs, h&R +25mm
velocity splitters from an M3
soon to be Honda 2.2l radiator
battery cutoff switch
Homage to my Grandfather's Devils Brigade 1st SSF ww2 unit on the front window..
autographed airbag cover.. crown royal shift bag, skully.. okay i'm reachin now.

i also broke both motor mounts wednesday night at the track.. sooper cool urethane control arm bushings will magically become BMW motor mounts. tomorrow. Pics will follow.
MBDrift's 1997 German Miata
Lightning
OK Finally Past the Hazing

Re: Das Dicke Ende Kommt Noch! e36 buildup..

Post by Lightning »

do I spy a lil' Darth Vader hanging off the front tow hook?

Nice use of the Camaro wheels too, it's neat to see them on something else besides a GM product.
unhinged......no, not really.
Epik
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by Epik »

happy meal toys for FTW.

yea, the GM wheel pattern availablility opens up a ton of possibilities. I have my eye on some 15x8 chrome steel diamond racing looking wheels.. 100.00. I needed a solution for cheap 15s, and the camaro rims fit the bill perfectly. I cant turn over my nice 17s with this little power :cry:
mranlet
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by mranlet »

Needs Trans Am snowflakes.

I'm glad you didn't go to a body that had fewer doors than the GS.
Southeast Reginoal Director of Full Auto, BTTS and STFU&D
Lightning
OK Finally Past the Hazing

Post by Lightning »

mranlet wrote:Needs Trans Am snowflakes.
OH GOD YES! :headbang:
unhinged......no, not really.
Epik
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by Epik »

i actually have seen random singles of them.. not a full set yet. now that i have the studs on, i can space any rim out (cheaply.. i have a stack of 5-7mm spacers) so i'm looking forward to getting some non-bulbous tires on the back. picking up 4 slightly used azenis 205/50/15s on friday for $50.00 :headbang: that will suit me for the front for a while.

oh yea, update. worked on the rad today, got the mount feet welded in, fixed up a dual fan setup and sat it back in the car. the fans kick mucho ass, but draw a ton of amperage i'm sure. not like it matters to me. LOL

i'll get the top brackets done tomorrow and then work on the plumbing. i have a few ideas.. all of them cheap so far. :stare:

also yanked out the broken stock liquid filled mounts. man.. it was so easy putting the bushings in as mounts i almost have to check myself.. i shortened the sleeve in the bushings by about 1/4" to allow for compression when i bolt it all together. just used random hardware today to see if it would actually work. now that i know its a go, i'll go pick up some grade 8 bolts and nuts to finish it right.

pics..
rad feet..

Fans. these were given to me some time ago. spent a while on the Lexus then got shelved.. supposedly came from a Vette?

Battery cutoff..
Miata hood release lever FTW (thanks Grant)

busted mounts..
new "mounts"
installed.. piece of cake.. easiest ever.

thats all for today.. its pretty good considering God tried hard to melt me today..
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

I dig that kill switch mount! If I ever fork up for a vented hood I would like to do that. When I was getting my cage fixed a few years back at J3 Racing I saw they did that on their race cars and was like "oooooooohhhhhhhh".
:D
Epik
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by Epik »

it was perfect Andy.. there is a distribution block there from the factory.. the battery is in the trunk. Easiest ever, I didnt even have to cut any wires, just drill out some of the lugs on the cables bigger to fit the poles on the cutoff.

i got the ideas for the cable/pull from the FD pits.. so much creativity. I love open pits areas.