Top Gear US

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

mikespeed95
Get Some

Re: Top Gear US

Post by mikespeed95 »

Jay Leno would make this helarious, as would Adam Corolla.

But the real key to making this awesome is bringing Dick Trickle on board.

I also wish it wasn't so obvious that Tmaq is stig.
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

I saw the Evo/Astin episode last night. Pretty dull and overtly scripted, but for someone that has never seen TGUK I would imagine it would be awesome. Or at least watchable.

So, hope it goes at least a full season or three, it can only get better. And I think both non-Tanner hosts need to go, the bearded one is not much of an actor, which is important when your entire show is scripted.
siccccckkkkkkkk
Lightning
OK Finally Past the Hazing

Post by Lightning »

Generz wrote:Like I was saying.. I should replace someone as a host.

my FOERST attempt at photoshopping anything.
unhinged......no, not really.
wroegge
Fresh Meat

Post by wroegge »

Yo DM Fam.

This is my take on Top Gear USA:

Big fan of the UK version and won't compare the two - for a simple reason, Top Gear UK started as a magazine show and developed into it's present form. The magazine is still doing well and the contributors are the hosts of the tv show - Clarkson, May, and Hammond being journalists and writing reviews/editorial.

They're the only automotive program I've ever shown to a friend who doesn't give a shit about cars - that's kept their attention and entertained them.

The other concern I've heard and still believe is that since the BBC is government funded - Top Gear UK does not have to work with advertisers, like car manufactures for ad dollars. This is massive. History Channel does and this makes it nearly impossible to get that proper separation of ad/opinion from it's hosts.

US Top Gear has terrible camera work and camera choice. DSLRs are great, but NOT for high speed drive by's and action sequences - there is a massive amount of skew. Also for in-car the lack of proper mounting and stabilization makes for disgusting in-car footage - which is a massive part of the review and show, getting the hosts' impressions in-car.

Hosts I'm still debating, Tanner is a driving robot, Rutlidge is a bit too NASCAR (when I think you can tell he's actually not, seems forced), and Ferrara has some decent one liners - but lacks any real knowledge of cars.

That being said, I agree that the US show should push and make its own - the blind drift segment played to all of the hosts strengths. The audience bits and studio parts seem odd. I support the show, good or bad, because automotive content on television is important - when was the last time there was a decent car show on TV in the US?
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

Oh.. I totally think the show should be it's own.. and I think if the Networks/Sponsors are patient enough it will become it's own.

However, I feel that I would be an awesome host! Haha.
wroegge
Fresh Meat

Post by wroegge »

Patience for sure. Needs time to find its own.

You should make a reel and post it on YT, if it worked for the new singer of Journey and Justin Bieber...
boostbeef
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by boostbeef »

Like I said before, not as good as the UK version...but 1000x better than this:

zzzzz
-Jonathan-
kalifornia087
Rock Smoke

Post by kalifornia087 »

Generz wrote:Like I was saying.. I should replace someone as a host.
+1 I would get cable so I could watch it
go fast or die
boostbeef
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by boostbeef »

Tonight's episode was pretty good. I thought Adam's review of the SLS was really good. The last part with the paintball guns was retarded and was obvious filler.

Next week's episode has a Buick Roadmaster in it so it is going to be awesome by default. lol
-Jonathan-
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

Did I mention Tanner Foust lives ACROSS THE STREET FROM MY MOM???

Real talk.

And yeah that paintball bit was a show killer.
siccccckkkkkkkk
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

agree. good honest reviews on the vehicles. last bit sucked. finally a decent guest.
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae
andysapp
I need to go outside

Top Gear US

Post by andysapp »

I still say get two more host with a full face of hair and call it Top Beard.
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

down_shift wrote:agree. good honest reviews on the vehicles. last bit sucked. finally a decent guest.
I think ferrara's review was just a forced ripoff of a clarkson review; "i like it but i didn't love it". i just feel like that guy doesn't have the experience to review a car like that... but maybe it's just the shitty jersey accent vs. the brit accent that makes you automatically sound like an authority throwing me off.

the paintball thing was crap. no purpose, no funny, only two hosts involved. it wasn't even good filler material.
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

I thought the Kid Rock interview was pretty weak, personally. KR led the entire thing, with Rut asking pat questions every now and then. It seems like they cut out anything of substance and left the trimmings in order to keep it either more PC, more aligned with the sponsor's opinions, or dumbed down for America. I don't know which one.
siccccckkkkkkkk
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

andysapp wrote:I still say get two more host with a full face of hair and call it Top Beard.
i'm up for this.
please believe