My bikepacking adventure through Japan (photo overload warning)

Post any and all car-related pictures here.

Moderators: charlie, CodyW, Rhoad Racing

CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Re: My bikepacking adventure through Japan (photo overload warning)

Post by CodyW »

Post 15: October 15

Saturday would be our last full day in the country and we planned to keep it pretty easy going as we had met up with Chanel’s cousin and her young son who were visiting from South Korea. Our day started with coffee (actually more fancy apple juice for me) and then we boarded the double-decker Hop-On/Hop-Off bus that takes passengers on a 2 or so hour loop around the city, allowing you to exit and re-join at any point along the route.

After a few stops we departed at a small and quiet temple area where we had lunch and walked around for a while before re-boarding and completing the circle. We then took a cab to another Super Autobacs to grab a few more last minute souvenirs before heading home for a little nap, somehow exhausted from sitting on a bus all day.

Our evening found us in Gion, a particularly busy yet scenic part of town where we wandered through the rain looking for a suitable restaurant for dinner. After trying a number of packed options, we stumbled across a quiet traditional spot that had room for us all and served all kinds of courses which seemed to be a hit (as usual, I had more fried chicken and rice which was fine by me). Snapped quite a few film shots that I’m exited to develop once I’m home, then hopped in a cab for a quick ride home and called it a night.
01.jpeg
01.jpeg (178.51 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
02.jpeg
02.jpeg (366.92 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
03.jpeg
03.jpeg (131.8 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
04.jpeg
04.jpeg (224.74 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
05.jpeg
05.jpeg (96.89 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
06.jpeg
06.jpeg (127.3 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
07.jpeg
07.jpeg (157.48 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
08.jpeg
08.jpeg (159.6 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
09.jpeg
09.jpeg (140.85 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
10.jpeg
10.jpeg (152.1 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
struka
Slippery When Westicles

Post by struka »

I have really enjoyed this. A LOT. I wish I could document as well as you. I start off with documenting but as the trip progresses, I seem to document less and less.
I would have been upset if you didn't stop by Blue Lug. Are you even a bike guy if you don't? LOL
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

Hahah right? I'm bummed I got there right when they were closing on that Friday night (it was after my mad dash across all of Tokyo which took forever thanks to all the traffic) but they were still hanging around and were super cool. Was also having some issues with my bike's shifting that day and they even took a look at that for free, couldn't really solve it but it later sorta worked itself out anyway. Def. wanna spend more time there (and get more souveniers/goodies) next time I'm out that way.

And glad you enjoyed! My main goal was just to snap as many pics as I could and try to post something fairly quickly every day or two (or at least jot down some notes in my phone). I got a little more detailed as the trip went as I wanted to make sure I was remembering everything but it is kinda difficult when you're moving so much and staying that busy.
struka
Slippery When Westicles

Post by struka »

I think you did a great job documenting it. My problem is I take photos with my phone so it is convenient however you pay the price for the convenience it seems. It is so easy to use the phone that I rarely do it. Maybe having a designated camera I bring would make me take more photos.
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Man. I don't e'en know where to start. What a TRIPPP dude!!! What a genuinely cool way to see Japan. Such a unique perspective. The photos all look killer! These were with the Ricoh? I love the way it handles the low light for the night time stuff. MANNNN Japan looks so damn cool at night. Does it get any cooler?

I thoroughly enjoyed the play-by-play. I mean... seriously - what an adventure!!! It all totally rules, and I'm mega stoked for you that you went on this trip!!
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

ALSO... SHIZZZZZZZZ!!!!
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

Hahahy yesss! Seeing (and staying with) Shiz was by far one of the highlights of the trip, was so cool to re-connect with him and get a local guide (even if it was just for a day).

And yea, ~90% of those were from the Ricoh, the other few were just quick snaps from my iPhone. Was super pleased with it though, so compact and easy to shoot with (even while riding on the bike), super glad I picked it up before the trip!
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

That's killer, man! I'm glad you're digging that camera!! Compact point and shoots rule. I think I've slowly come to love any camera that gets me out of my own way and just lets me shoot.