Page 1 of 1
onboard video crash in north GA
Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:05 pm
by icantdrift
guy is riding a buell City-X (like darkducati's bike) and has the front tire go out on him. it's kinda creepy because you hear him scream right before impact

. he ended up pretty badly hurt but he made it with only stuff that will heal luckily. the tire went down and i think he fixated on the pole.
http://mountainrideradventures.com/315.wmv
Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:12 pm
by darkducati
Ya that's mountainrider from the Badweb boards. He is a super nice guy. Helped me set up my suspension and is one hell of a fast guy. He's like 60 and no one can keep up with him. I have heard of R1s going down trying to stay with him! On a stock cityX no less. Weird part is he never hangs of the bike, he is always straight up. Anyway, he is doing better. He is out of the hospital and back home and is supposed to be at T.W.O. this weekend. He said the the tire went and the bike wouldn't turn at all. It is kinda creepy though.
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:44 pm
by icantdrift
darkducati wrote:Ya that's mountainrider from the Badweb boards. He is a super nice guy. Helped me set up my suspension and is one hell of a fast guy. He's like 60 and no one can keep up with him. I have heard of R1s going down trying to stay with him! On a stock cityX no less. Weird part is he never hangs of the bike, he is always straight up. Anyway, he is doing better. He is out of the hospital and back home and is supposed to be at T.W.O. this weekend. He said the the tire went and the bike wouldn't turn at all. It is kinda creepy though.
yeah he's also a regular on the GSB and BSB forums. he posted the whole story on both boards and all the videos from that day.
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:48 pm
by Kronus
I've known about this story for a while. I've been curious to see this video for a while since Mountainrider mentioned it existed. Thanks and cheers.
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:56 pm
by Kronus
I just watched the video and that demonstrates what truley sucks about a FT blowout. You lose most of your steering control. The bike steers like it suddenly weighs tons. I've ridden a quater mile with a flat front tire, it feels as if it takes the strength of an overbuilt Swedish muscle builder to make minor steering corrections.
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:53 pm
by darkducati
The funny thing is that your brain tries to keep you from doing the best thing you can do, give it more throttle.
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:00 pm
by Kronus
Indeed, shift the weight towards the rear until you can slow down on a straight. Leave the front brake alone.
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:16 pm
by darkducati
Indeed. Where were you Sunday?
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:34 pm
by Kronus
I was heading home. I only had enough time to pop over, catch up with two groups on rides then head home to catch my father's surgery.
Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:50 am
by POOPscandal
just watched the vid.
glad to hear he's getting better.
Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:27 am
by andysapp
I dunno why - but I don't want to watch it.
I'm glad to hear he's doing better though.

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:30 am
by icantdrift
andysapp wrote:I dunno why - but I don't want to watch it.
I'm glad to hear he's doing better though.

it's not that bad, it's just kinda creepy when you hear him yell before catching the dirt.
Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:11 am
by andysapp
Yeah... that's why I don't want to watch it.
WTH... one sec.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:15 am
by andysapp
Ya... ur right. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be - NOT that it wasn't a bad wreck... definitely creepy tho. Glad he's doing okay.
