US Drift at VIR cancled!!

Competing in an event? Do you enjoy meat? Let everyone know about it here!

Moderators: andysapp, charlie, CodyW, Rhoad Racing

Post Reply
DriverGT5
Fresh Meat
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:38 pm
Contact:

US Drift at VIR cancled!!

Post by DriverGT5 »

The following is an E-mail I recieved from Laura Cobetto, bad news guys.

Code: Select all

Robert,
Unfortunately we have to cancel the VIR Event due to the fact that VIR was
more interested in holding a different group on the Patriot Course that day.
We regret that this has occurred.  At this time we are looking for other
venues to conduct a US Drift Practice Day and will post any new info on the
website when available.  Thanks for your interest though!

Laura Cobetto, Event Planner
NASA-VA, US DRIFT, HYPERFEST
4225 Vauxhall Rd
Richmond, VA  23234
So the good news is I don't have to sell a kidney to make it to VIR, the bummer is no drifting. Sucks don't it?

Ever get the feeling that the sport of drifting is a little unloved by the "powers that be"?
Image
User avatar
andysapp
I need to go outside
Posts: 29034
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:07 pm
Location: KILL 'EM ALL.

Re: US Drift at VIR cancled!!

Post by andysapp »

DriverGT5 wrote:Ever get the feeling that the sport of drifting is a little unloved by the "powers that be"?
Dude... you hit the nail on the head.

Granted, there are associations like USDrift, Drift Association, DGTrials, etc... that bust their arses to get events going... but even they fall victim right along side us to the political powers that the tracks and venues hold.

I just caught wind last night that an Atlanta-area drift event that was in the works was dropped as well. It's beyond frustrating.

Realistically, all of this will result in the sport burrowing further underground. I'm not going to stop drifting just because I can't get track time... so if I have to watch over my shoulder while I drift, then so-be-it.

One of these days the motorsports world will wake up and accept the sport fully. Until then... I'll drift whenever and wherever I can.
[/rant]
Post Reply