How did u start...? That is the question..LOL

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

struka
Slippery When Westicles

How did u start...? That is the question..LOL

Post by struka »

everyone one started somehow different and with a different car.
I am startin by goin out with my buddies when it rains, autoX, and watchin vids cause one can learn a lot from them.......
But how did u start and with what car?
aburazaru
Get Some

Post by aburazaru »

my friends dragged me into the mountains with my silvia and said " go to town" after a couple of fender benders and bumper breakers with inanimate objects i started getting pretty good at it.
struka
Slippery When Westicles

Post by struka »

hahahaha nice.
darkducati
Purple Drank

Post by darkducati »

From the time I was born! My mom had a c-section during delivery because I was coming out slideways! That's right! Drifter for life! But I guess my real interest came from a love of rally cars. I was into group B years ago and still pimp my home made(because you couldn't buy them at the time) Subaru WRC jacket from about 96'. Colin McRae back when he was on top of his game. I also drove a Mazda GLC SCCa pro rally car for years as a daily driver. Cage, lexan windows, gutted interior, etc. And, sliding sideways is just more fun!
Beans and cornbread.
slidewaysgolf
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by slidewaysgolf »

Yeah my love of slideways also came from rally. LOL my FOERST slideways car was a Geo metro RallyX car it was fun and then i was hooked. For budget drift you cant beat rally in my openion, but i am new to pavment drift i just bought a starion so i guess you could say it was my FOERST drift car???? Now i am back at firestone at night stealing the right sized tires for my car lol i am not saying try this but the firestones pile up all there tires in the back for the recicle guy to come and then there fair game lol pay for rallyX tires or parctice drift tires hahahahhaha. Ok im pore wite trash. :cry:
charlie
Eet Bacon

Post by charlie »

I always knew I was a drifter at heart. From the FOERST time I got behind a grocery cart, I could just feel it. Going straight around the endcaps just never felt right. Neither did the sound or the lack thereof. Since my early days I've gotten a lot better at nailing the apex and my sound effects are second-to-none. Now I don't want anyone to think I was always this good. I've had my fair share of mishaps. It's how you build up your courage. Hey. If I have to take out a display of Frosted Flakes to get just a little bit better then so be it. As long as I survive to drift another day, then I am complete.

I, am a drifter.
[html]<object data="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" style="outline:none;" width="512" height="44" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param value="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" name="movie"/><param value="always" name="AllowScriptAccess"/><param value="opaque" name="wmode"/><param value="noscale" name="scale"/><param value="tl" name="salign"/></object><BR>
[/html]K-TO-THE-MOTHERFUCKIN-OI! OI! OI!
aburazaru
Get Some

Post by aburazaru »

that was the most moving joke ever. it sent chills down my spine. oooohhhh that was good.
darkducati
Purple Drank

Post by darkducati »

charlie wrote:I always knew I was a drifter at heart. From the FOERST time I got behind a grocery cart, I could just feel it. Going straight around the endcaps just never felt right. Neither did the sound or the lack thereof. Since my early days I've gotten a lot better at nailing the apex and my sound effects are second-to-none. Now I don't want anyone to think I was always this good. I've had my fair share of mishaps. It's how you build up your courage. Hey. If I have to take out a display of Frosted Flakes to get just a little bit better then so be it. As long as I survive to drift another day, then I am complete.

I, am a drifter.
And for that 10 seconds or less, you're free.
Beans and cornbread.
captobvious
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by captobvious »

i started in a golf car believe it or not, my uncle owns a golf car business, and every now and then they'd have a souped up cart with the street tires on it and i would go flying around the grass in it and start to learn how to get it to slide really good, my cousin and i actually did tandem runs when we were like 11 like 5 years before i figured out what drifting really was
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

darkducati wrote:From the time I was born! My mom had a c-section during delivery because I was coming out slideways! That's right! Drifter for life!
Hahahahaaaa!!! That is AWESOME! The should call it a D-Section!!!
charlie wrote:Hey. If I have to take out a display of Frosted Flakes to get just a little bit better then so be it. As long as I survive to drift another day, then I am complete.

I, am a drifter.
Bwaahahahaa... if you took out a display off All-Bran, you would be complete!!
I have shed a tear... that story was beautiful! [/cry]
andysapp
I need to go outside

Re: How did u start...? That is the question..LOL

Post by andysapp »

Driftin2Trance wrote:everyone one started somehow different and with a different car...But how did u start and with what car?
I started when drifting became "cool", bwaaahahaha, lol! No, but seriously... I've only been drifting for a year now. I'm not going to sit here and try and say I've been drifting since '98, cause I'm not a kickballer. I fell in love with Initial D back in the day when Hooman turned me onto it, but I didn't start getting sideways in a rear-wheel drive car (and trying to control it) until a year ago.

I started drifting because the challenge of controlling what is supposedly uncontrollable was been beyond intriguing to me. The FOERST time I tried to drift, I realized how difficult it was... and I was hooked on trying to learn. I used to get the e34 sideways here and there... but I really wasn't focusing on controlling it. I learned to drift in my e46.

I started out by doing shift-locks from third to second gear in large parking lots. I wasn't drifting... I was just throwing the car 180 degrees into a complete stop. BMW's these days have DSC (Dynamic Stability Control). There is a button you can push to disable it... but it turns out it's a two-stage process to completely turn it off. At the time I was doing these 180's... I only had it disabled at the FOERST stage: sooo the computer would still modulate throttle and apply braking. It wasn't until I remembered how to disable the DSC completely that my drifting began to take form.

I practice every day... and I mean every day. Even if I only get one drift in... it's still more practice than I had the day before. I shoot for 5-10 minutes at the end of the day, and I'm happy. Sometimes I get one or two in on the way to work... but it's a rarity.

Anyway... that's how I started. I'll drive anywhere to get more seat time... cause any practice is good practice. It doesn't even feel like practice... it feels like the most fun I've ever had behind the wheel.
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

i used to do ebrake slides in my celica at the devry parking lot every time it rained, and that was like 3 years ago. i've also practiced the shopping cart and golf cart drift for some time now, however i've still gotta figure out what to do in a real car :) (getting it to work properly is the FOERST step though).
8six
Fresh Meat

Post by 8six »

i work were there is a big parking lot and it was raining i was riding with a buddy of mine with a s13 and he went to get his check and i stayed in the car....dumbass left the key's in the car..

my FOERST drift experience. :D
gigigigigigigirigi
djdorifto
Clam Salesman

Post by djdorifto »

lets see, I wish i could say i got it from rally, but I didn't...I started to go on 240 forums in 01 and I guess SR's were getting more common, but I FOERST saw a video where Ken Nomura was drifting in LA streets, I then started to read more about drifting and such and after off and on practice at this wide ass corner where I lived by I got rush haha. My FOERST car was a 240, since 13 years we had the car, but I had no job, so going to events and tires were out of the question... thats why I was on and off when practicing haha.

So yeah, drifting has been awesome in my life, new friends, new knowledge in cars, and something that am good at... But drifting isn't everything to me, its just a hobby, not my entire life.
CREXGO
Fresh Meat

Post by CREXGO »

Go karts in the mud was awsome. until one day i found out that a wet surface and a little e-bake action would make my 84 tercel(the princess) do a 180. moved on to a 71 cutlass that would get sideways when i nailed it threw a left hander. peg leg for life. now i have to throw that little crx into turn at dangerous speeds in hopes that the back tires will brake loose. refuse to go the lunch tray direction, it just seems wrong.

:twisted:
If you had access to a car like this would you take it back right away.

-94 cbr streetfighter
-91 crx
-86 hd sporty